Hurlshot's Portland Beer Rankings

Hurlshort

I did not go on a cross country trek this summer, so no big RV thread.  But I did spend about a week in Portland trying as many breweries as I could.  Here is my rankings of the 8 I visited:

1.  Rogue Farms - This is an hour outside of Portland, and it is well worth the drive.  Rogue is unique in that they grow a tremendous amount of their own ingredients.  There are 42 acres of hop varieties, hazelnut trees, and even bees and pumpkins on this property.  I visited the Farm a few years ago on a whim and there was not much happening, but they've expanded their hours and give tours on weekends.  We started out trying some beer, then we got to walk around and look at all the buildings they use to process the hops.  It was awesome, and I took an oath and joined Rogue Nation.  I bought a lot of bombers.  They had some food trucks, but we brought a picnic and made a day out of it.  They had all sorts of great games to play, and it was a wonderful day out.

11012525_10204681159573592_8149753953137

2. Ex Novo Brewery - This is a non-profit that has only been open a year, but they brew some amazing stuff.  I am drinking their double IPA as we speak.  They also had a great food selection, and the best beer and cheese pairing I've ever taken part in.  

11811491_10204703687416774_4189051360308

• Like 8

3. 10 Barrel Brewing - Somehow I didn't get a picture of my impressive taster tray, but this brewery had a Belgian Strong and a Raspberry Stout that were off the charts.  

4. Laurelwood Brewery - This place has a bunch of kid play areas that made life so easy while we were tasting.  The Red Elephant IRA was amazing, a perfect blend of amber and Imperial hoppiness.  The food was pretty tasty as well.

11813432_10204694769993844_4257872444084

5.  Hopworks Urban Brewery - This is like a more updated version of Laurelwood, including the great kids play areas.  I'd say the food is a bit better, but the IPA's weren't quite as good.  The highlight was a Carrot Ale that was surprisingly flavorful.

11752562_10204688401714641_7456298661118

• Like 3

What stouts were good and can I get them in Houston or Austin?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

6.  Base Camp Brewing Company - This is an amazing building that plays into the mountain theme really well.  I think it would be rated higher for most folks, but I have trouble dealing with carbonation, and they specialize in these aluminum bottles.  While I've heard this is a great way to maintain taste, for me the carbonation causes stomach issues.  Still, I'd go back, they also had some cool food trucks but we did not eat anything.

11796235_10204702653790934_5659044841660

7.  Deschutes Public House - Look, I love Deschutes.  It is my 'go to' drinking beer from the grocery store.  But if you are going to experience Deschutes, you need to visit the main brewery in Bend, Oregon.  The restaurant in Portland is neat, with some good food, but it isn't the same.  I really appreciate that the waiter pointed us to 10 Barrels from here, and I bought a great shirt.

8.  McMenamins Grand Lodge - We had some family staying here, so we stopped in for a dinner with them.  It was not bad, but they tend to have alot of fruitier beers, and I'm not a fan.  They are all over Oregon, but it is a pretty standard pub type deal.  Nothing special.

11751463_10204671875781503_8387908214411  

• Like 3

Well I can't speak with tons of authority to Texas, but if you come across the Russian Imperial Raspberry Stout from 10 Barrel Brewing, you need to buy as many as you can.  Rogue also sells a Double Chocolate Stout that you may be able to find:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/132/60694/ 

Also, on my way home we stopped at a place called the Bier Stein in Eugene.  I had a Ninkasi beer called IPA Sandwich and it tasted like I was eating a piece of rye bread.  It was a very unique flavor.

I just finished my Ex Novo IIPA and I'm already starting to panic over the fact I only have one bomber left.   ;(   

my eyes hurts

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I'm not saying it was this thread that inspired me to overspend at the market today, but I came home with a double nut brown from Mammoth Brewing, a Stone Wootstout 3.0 (13%!), a Ballast Point coffee/vanilla imperial porter, and, get this, a Belching Beaver Brewery Peanut Butter Milk Stout with notes of coffee, chocolate, and PB, brewed with rolled oats and lactose. The incredibly enigmatic part is that it's light and smooth, but dark, yet easy to drink and tastes like a best friend. 9.5/10

If Portland was good, you must come down to SD, this place is world craft beer grand central. 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

I have visited the Escondido Stone Brewery, but I do need to make a more thorough beer trip down there sometime.  Thankfully I get a fair amount of the San Diego breweries up in Northern California, whereas we really only get the big ones from Oregon.   :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think the only good beer I have ever had that was born in Texas was Devil's Backbone. Everything else was garbage. Most of the microbrews in Austin left me wanting. In Portland the quality is generally high, if pretentious and overstated. Portland is overly fond of IPAs though. Very bitter IPAs. Oddly enough, my best experience with microbrews came out of the Sierra Nevadas in northern CA and NV. Some excellent Belgians come from Eldorado Hills, Tahoe, and Reno.