Eder losing weapon talent?

Ok I have started too many games to count and currently have 5 going (all in chap 1-2) and I've never noticed this happen before - we are in level 1 of Od Nua and Eder no longer has Ruffian weapon focus??? 

Went back to check some older saves but since I have mutiple games going I have been cutting down my save folders to just auto save, quick save, and last save on each which in this case were only a couple days apart and he didn't have Ruffian in any of them.  ;(

Edited by wanderon

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

He had it as an extra talent, on top of the normal ones, IIRC if you picked him up as a level 3+ character. Perhaps they finally removed it? That'd make sense, since you can now direct the companions from level 1, and thus avoid terrible choices that need to be compensated for.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

He had it as an extra talent, on top of the normal ones, IIRC if you picked him up as a level 3+ character. Perhaps they finally removed it? That'd make sense, since you can now direct the companions from level 1, and thus avoid terrible choices that need to be compensated for.

I always pick him up asap and IIRC that is level 3 but unless they somehow changed it in the past week or two I have other games going where he has it (and I'm on a gog version so no auto updates) -

I also have never yet used the option to direct companions from level 1 - I enjoy having companions that I didn't make myself - I wish there was an auto-level for companions so the devs that created them could continue making the choices throughout the game.

Okay, well, in any case, I believe his actual talent pick at level 2 is Rapid Recovery, which is an aggressively bad choice. WF: Ruffian was always granted as a bonus, which was kinda confusing.

there is a couple instances o' companions getting free talents/abilities.  kana also gets a free phrase, which is a substantial bonus considering how few phrases chanters acquire over the course o' the game.  eder and kana is two npcs we do not roll-back to level 1.  our assumption were that the free talents were their special quality akin to the druid companion's unique wild shape or the ranger's fox. such stuff did "make sense" seeing as how the companions had less than ideal attribute distributions and other than dialogues, the unique qualities were there to makes the obsidian created companions appealing compared to a player created companions.

oh well.  haven't played in a week or two, so we hadn't noticed eder's loss... will check kana later.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

So before i pick Eder up it would be wise to tick enable on the auto level option so that i get the free ruffian talent?

Maybe? From wanderon's account, it seems like it may have been removed recently, but I honestly don't care enough to check.

You could also think of it differently: Eder gets the free Rapid Recovery talent (since that's the one you'd probably never spend a purchase on, otherwise). If you want him to take Ruffian (and Defender, since that's his level 3 ability pick), then you should go for that. On the other hand, if you're like me, and you prefer to spec him as an offensive fighter with Adventurer, Confident Aim, and two-handed weapons in general, it's better to keep it off when picking him up.

Just started a new game and he has Ruffian so I'd say unless it's a glitch that he's got it - then it must have been a glitch when he lost it  ;(

there is a couple instances o' companions getting free talents/abilities.  kana also gets a free phrase, which is a substantial bonus considering how few phrases chanters acquire over the course o' the game.  eder and kana is two npcs we do not roll-back to level 1.  our assumption were that the free talents were their special quality akin to the druid companion's unique wild shape or the ranger's fox. such stuff did "make sense" seeing as how the companions had less than ideal attribute distributions and other than dialogues, the unique qualities were there to makes the obsidian created companions appealing compared to a player created companions.

oh well.  haven't played in a week or two, so we hadn't noticed eder's loss... will check kana later.

HA! Good Fun!

Gromnir you changed your profile picture! Why? Swearengen is badass and all, but now I can't imagine that guy reading your posts with a thick accent anymore!

• 2 weeks later...

I've just tested this. If you get Eder at level 2, he wont gain the bonus Ruffian talent. He will only gain the bonus Ruffian talent if you get him at level 3. (This only applies to him being auto leveled)

I don't think I ever got him at level 2 - I wasn't aware it was even possible since I always pick him up right after grabbing Aloth & talking to the dwarf