So why exactly should I buy the expansion?

True, I posted the link for kaz's answer though. ;)

Regarding the topic, there will be ogres with bazookas in the expansion. What more can you want?

"What more can you want?" How about being able to have an ogre with a bazooka as a main character? Now that would be cool. Looking forward the expansion. To the OP - simple really. Did you enjoy and if so do you want to play more POE? I'm ok with the ending as is  - it's the story of the Watcher. I'd hope that if there is POE2 that it would be with a new character and that they could deal more with the back story regarding the gods then.

Generally agreed, although I'd prefer they go with something less cosmic for PoE2. To make a comparison, it's sort of like how Persona 3 set the high watermark in terms of scale for that franchise, such that it's virtually impossible to ever go bigger without undermining the setting's foundations; that, in turn, has let them tell (comparatively) smaller stories without much serial escalation, since the truly foundational conflict has already played out. PoE reveals the truth behind some pretty important mysteries surrounding Eora, and I think that sets the stage nicely for some smaller stories.

had a terrible official campaign

That's a lie and you know it.

Yes, insult not just my opinion but also me, personally, on something inherently subjective. That'll make you sound reasonable.

NWN's OC was a sloppily executed mess of fetch quests and fantasy cliches. This is a fairly common opinion, which is why I feel comfortable tossing it offhand. You are welcome to dispute that opinion, and obviously the consensus on it doesn't make it some kind of objective fact; enjoying NWN's OC is not a personal fault. You are allowed to have fond memories of things that other people think are bad. Hell, you're allowed to have fond memories of things you think are bad. But those fond memories don't make them somehow magically, objectively immune to criticism.

For the record, I don't fault Bioware for NWN's garbage OC - they were busy with other things, and the OC was clearly meant as a generic sampling of what the toolset could do. But when I compare it to their (still decidedly mediocre, but much improved) later offerings in the expansions, or especially to fan modules (like Pig Farmer, or Tales of Arterra, or anything by Stefen Gagne, to name a few personal favorites), it's difficult for me to say anything about the OC other than that it stinks.

But yeah, the UI was pretty solid. BW has always been good about that.

• Like 4

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Hell, you're allowed to have fond memories of things you think are bad.

Yeah, this is kind of where I fall on NWN. I played through the original campaign twice and had a few partial runs as well. But it was decidedly not a great campaign. But once I discovered some of the community-made modules (and the odd server), boy did that elevate the game's status in my eyes.

Good picks on the modules, BTW (although I'm not familiar with Pig Farmer). Hell, between your post and Grom appearing on here, I feel like I may have to fire up the game again.

Regarding the topic, there will be ogres with bazookas in the expansion. What more can you want?

"What more can you want?" How about being able to have an ogre with a bazooka as a main character? Now that would be cool. Looking forward the expansion. To the OP - simple really. Did you enjoy and if so do you want to play more POE? I'm ok with the ending as is  - it's the story of the Watcher. I'd hope that if there is POE2 that it would be with a new character and that they could deal more with the back story regarding the gods then.

Generally agreed, although I'd prefer they go with something less cosmic for PoE2. To make a comparison, it's sort of like how Persona 3 set the high watermark in terms of scale for that franchise, such that it's virtually impossible to ever go bigger without undermining the setting's foundations; that, in turn, has let them tell (comparatively) smaller stories without much serial escalation, since the truly foundational conflict has already played out. PoE reveals the truth behind some pretty important mysteries surrounding Eora, and I think that sets the stage nicely for some smaller stories.

Yes, insult not just my opinion but also me, personally, on something inherently subjective. That'll make you sound reasonable.

NWN's OC was a sloppily executed mess of fetch quests and fantasy cliches. This is a fairly common opinion, which is why I feel comfortable tossing it offhand. You are welcome to dispute that opinion, and obviously the consensus on it doesn't make it some kind of objective fact; enjoying NWN's OC is not a personal fault. You are allowed to have fond memories of things that other people think are bad. Hell, you're allowed to have fond memories of things you think are bad. But those fond memories don't make them somehow magically, objectively immune to criticism.

For the record, I don't fault Bioware for NWN's garbage OC - they were busy with other things, and the OC was clearly meant as a generic sampling of what the toolset could do. But when I compare it to their (still decidedly mediocre, but much improved) later offerings in the expansions, or especially to fan modules (like Pig Farmer, or Tales of Arterra, or anything by Stefen Gagne, to name a few personal favorites), it's difficult for me to say anything about the OC other than that it stinks.

Got to say I have really fond memories of NWN OC. Not that it was an awesome story, but still it's what happens when you view something through nostalgia tinted glasses.

To be fair, there is something like that with all the old IE games, though it's not as obvious as with NWN. Mainly because they were stronger stories. They have dated well overall, though. Certainly much better than most games of their age, and many newer ones!

• Like 2

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

I'm not saying I Dislike the game, in fact I have like 150 logged hours and am LOVING the new paladin changes (Chanters next please). I'm saying it feels more like DLC than an expansion.  I want the story to move forward, I want to know the consequences of my choice at the end of the game (W/O spoilers Wael gets me every time) WHAT HAPPENED TO EOTHAS?

I can only hope that Part 2 is an actual extension of the late game.

You want a sequel, not an expansion. An expansion....expands the game. It adds to the game, makes more of the game. It's like turning an naval orange into a larger naval orange. What you are looking for is a grapefruit for your next meal, since you liked the orange so much.

Edited by Katarack21

I'm not saying I Dislike the game, in fact I have like 150 logged hours and am LOVING the new paladin changes (Chanters next please). I'm saying it feels more like DLC than an expansion.  I want the story to move forward, I want to know the consequences of my choice at the end of the game (W/O spoilers Wael gets me every time) WHAT HAPPENED TO EOTHAS?

You want a sequel, not an expansion. An expansion....expands the game. It adds to the game, makes more of the game. It's like turning an naval orange into a larger naval orange. What you are looking for is a grapefruit for your next meal, since you liked the orange so much.

In fairness, ToB was both a sequel and a TotSC-style expansion for BG2. Whistleblower was DLC, but it was also an entirely new plot line for Outlast and answered some huge questions about the original. Brood War had a whole new campaign for Star Craft, just as Frozen Throne had for WC3. NWN had two expansion packs, both of which added stories just as large as the OC. MotB was a sequel to NWN2. Dragon Age: Origins had several pieces of DLC that added entirely new plotlines, including Awakening, called an expansion by most, and a former BW employee once told me that Dragon Age 2 was originally intended as an expansion for Origins as well before EA made them move it as a separate game.

My point being, uh ... you're characterizing this person as a little more unreasonable than they're actually being.

What's that? A strikethrough at the end of my post? Nonsense, I would never write something that could get my source in trouble if their identity was known, and then put a strikethrough on it.

You'll never take me alive, coppers!

Edited by gkathellar

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Got to say I have really fond memories of NWN OC. Not that it was an awesome story, but still it's what happens when you view something through nostalgia tinted glasses.

To be fair, there is something like that with all the old IE games, though it's not as obvious as with NWN. Mainly because they were stronger stories. They have dated well overall, though. Certainly much better than most games of their age, and many newer ones!

I'll never under than hate for the original NWN campaign, and it's not nostalgia to me since I've play it later than most people.  I enjoyed the story, the characters and companions, the voice acting, the loot, and the exploration aspects of it.  It was the originator of the modern Bioware formula of "do these series of quest of any order and then something happens."  The combat wasn't too great, but I'm not a big fan of any type of RTwP battle system.

Edited by bonarbill
  • Like 1

That's a lie and you know it. While not as good as BG II, NWNs Campaign was far from being badly written or executed. I have fond memories of the quests that involved time travel, the quest in the snowglobe, the Captain's war and Mage Tower in Luskan and then some stuff. I remember the NPCs in NWN were mostly excellent written. 

But what I always loved the most about NWN ist the UI. A thing of beauty. 

"Please go to the 4 MacGuffinLands and pick up the 4 MacGuffins, Hero!"

*Leaves town*

*Comes across a symmetrical 4-way intersection leading North, West, East, South*

NWN's campaign was a hack job in the literal sense of the word, because they had to devote so much resources to the world editor & multiplayer segments. Understandably so; it is still remarkable that NWN got those bits working so well, and it's no surprise nobody else has since.

• Like 2

The original NWN--without the add-ons, expansions, etc. Just the original NWN.

It's crap. It's *REALLY* crap. A series of fetch quests, with a couple FedEx quests thrown in for variety. That's it. That's all it is. There's a lot of great things about that game, but to deny the basic ****tiness of it's plot and quest structure is to deny the fundamental way the game is played.

This judgement is only against the single-player campagign, though. I don't do multiplayer, so I don't care about that part of it. As a single-player game, the first, NWN Original Flavor campaign is *crap*.

Edited by Katarack21

I'll never under than hate for the original NWN campaign, and it's not nostalgia to me since I've play it later than most people.  I enjoyed the story, the characters and companions, the voice acting, the loot, and the exploration aspects of it.  It was the originator of the modern Bioware formula of "do these series of quest of any order and then something happens."  The combat wasn't too great, but I'm not a big fan of any type of RTwP battle system.

Same. I actually enjoyed its plot more than the Baldur's Gate games. Not to mention it had one of my favorite companions in a CRPGs (Linu). It had the whole "collect four things" forumla, but so did KOTOR. I guess I'm one of those people actually like fetch quests in their RPGs.

Edited by Bill Gates' Son

Same. I actually enjoyed its plot more than the Baldur's Gate games. Not to mention it had one of my favorite companions in a CRPGs (Linu). It had the whole "collect four things" forumla, but so did KOTOR. I guess I'm one of those people actually like fetch quests in their RPGs.

I particularly enjoyed the side quest in the mansion where the old guy killed everyone, all the kids too, in an effort to become a Lich and intended on bringing all the children back, but failed.

Very best,

Because you like the game?

Because you want some new content? 30 hours is nothing to sneeze at. Most games you buy these days are completed in 4~6 hours with casual play. Buying a game that adds 30 hours to a game that is already quite capable of being a long game is pretty cool. It's one of those things that you play through again in a year or two or something and revisit later and have a 60~90 hour game.

It's also slightly game changing how they're revamping things in 2.0 (allegedly).

I'm not looking for PoE II here. But some more content, another area, some new quests, etc, are welcome in my book. I've played through 5 times now. Obviously I like the game.

Very best,

Bravo..!  *Golf clap*... ;)  I was about to say something similar.  Generally I buy expansions because I liked the game and want more of it.  Seems ample reason to me...but also in this case it's going to be interesting to see how the EE/2.x version transforms the game, if it does actually transform it, because that's definitely going to affect any planned expansion. 

It's very well known that I don't make mistakes, so if you should stumble across the odd error here and there in what I have written, you may immediately deduce--quite correctly--that I did not write it... :biggrin:

The original NWN--without the add-ons, expansions, etc. Just the original NWN.

It's crap. It's *REALLY* crap. A series of fetch quests, with a couple FedEx quests thrown in for variety. That's it. That's all it is. There's a lot of great things about that game, but to deny the basic ****tiness of it's plot and quest structure is to deny the fundamental way the game is played.

This judgement is only against the single-player campagign, though. I don't do multiplayer, so I don't care about that part of it. As a single-player game, the first, NWN Original Flavor campaign is *crap*.

Couldn't agree more. I played NWN back when when it was released and I think I dropped it during the first act. A couple of weeks ago I decided to give it another try, this time I did manage to beat the first act but dropped the game nevertheless - it's just plain boring. The OC simply fails to immerse. Also, Waterdhavian creatures, aaargh.

I never had a nostalgia towards BG1 or BG2 as I never played any of them in late 90's but I admit that playing BG1 on my tablet (sic) brought me more enjoyment than NWN.

Looking forward to playing BG2 and PoE (waiting for the 2.0 patch actually). In the meantime... doing the third playthrough of DA: Origins.

Sorry for my english. Also, first post, yay.

Welcome to the board, nolwe! I haven't read the thread other than to push posts, but I will say that the reason I'm going to get the xpac is because it was part of the kickstarter campaign, but I would have bought it anyway. The reason I would have bought it for myself is because I enjoyed the game. I gave a couple copies of the game to friends as gifts, and so I might buy the xpac for them as a gift, especially if it comes out around X-mas.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Couldn't agree more. I played NWN back when when it was released and I think I dropped it during the first act. A couple of weeks ago I decided to give it another try, this time I did manage to beat the first act but dropped the game nevertheless - it's just plain boring. The OC simply fails to immerse. Also, Waterdhavian creatures, aaargh.

I never had a nostalgia towards BG1 or BG2 as I never played any of them in late 90's but I admit that playing BG1 on my tablet (sic) brought me more enjoyment than NWN.

Looking forward to playing BG2 and PoE (waiting for the 2.0 patch actually). In the meantime... doing the third playthrough of DA: Origins.

Sorry for my english. Also, first post, yay.

Welcome, but... why are you apologizing for your English? It's perfectly fine (better than many, actually).

If there is a romance option, I will buy the expansion in two seconds.  Hopefully every sentence will be voice acted with lots of intellectually stimulating, thought provoking content. One male and one female would be perfect.

Let's just hope that she doesn't look like a man like Cassandra Pentaghast.

(Grieving Mother should've been a romance option).

Edited by luzarius

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

If there is a romance option, I will buy the expansion in two seconds.  Hopefully every sentence will be voice acted with lots of intellectually stimulating, thought provoking content. One male and one female would be perfect.

Dream on my friend. :)  

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

If there is a romance option, I will buy the expansion in two seconds. Hopefully every sentence will be voice acted with lots of intellectually stimulating, thought provoking content. One male and one female would be perfect.

Dream on my friend. :)

Imagine that.she could mind-bang you. It is all you need.

Just started playing last week, but so far I really love the game. Therefore, really curious what the expansion will bring. I tend to buy story-related expansions right away, so I am putting some coins aside for this one. 

Fair enough: if it would contain romance*, I'd insta-buy it. 

*note: I do not require making-out/mating scenes, but tension or being able to flirt sometimes would be nice :) (fair enough: I'll admit to have gone 'd'awww, that's so cute! He's worried about me' when Eder awoke my character for the first time). 

• Like 1

Just started playing last week, but so far I really love the game. Therefore, really curious what the expansion will bring. I tend to buy story-related expansions right away, so I am putting some coins aside for this one. 

Fair enough: if it would contain romance*, I'd insta-buy it. 

*note: I do not require making-out/mating scenes, but tension or being able to flirt sometimes would be nice :) (fair enough: I'll admit to have gone 'd'awww, that's so cute! He's worried about me' when Eder awoke my character for the first time). 

Never be embarrassed about wanting the prudent implementation of Romance....you are not alone in your expectations  :wub:

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Tbh I'm still on act one (level 11 lol and beat the adra dragon, I'm REALLY doing everything but the main quest =D) but I agree with what your saying, Imma avoid the rest of this post for spoilers but yeah I was under the impression the expansion was to level 20 or something, new spells and more story moving on.