So why exactly should I buy the expansion?

From my understanding the expansion only adds content in the level 5-7 range and the ending of the game stays that way.  Doesn't really feel like an expansion and I don't see why I should buy side content let alone play 30 hours of it. I see what they are going for, the BG1 Tales of the Sword Coast style of expansion but I gotta be honest, most playthroughs of BG1 I skip all the ToSC content haha. The items are "Meh" seeing as soon as I am able to finish the content I could already beat the game and it takes an incredibly long time to clear it all.

Unless the items are full of +Accuracy stacking items then I don't see what the gear could possibly give me in the late game. Even on PotD the late game is ridiculously easy with properly built casters and the CC available. The only hard part is the final boss, who has such inflated defensive stats that more Accuracy is all I want. I guess an Arrows of Dispelling equivalent would be nice lol

• Like 1

Because you like the game?

Because you want some new content? 30 hours is nothing to sneeze at. Most games you buy these days are completed in 4~6 hours with casual play. Buying a game that adds 30 hours to a game that is already quite capable of being a long game is pretty cool. It's one of those things that you play through again in a year or two or something and revisit later and have a 60~90 hour game.

It's also slightly game changing how they're revamping things in 2.0 (allegedly).

I'm not looking for PoE II here. But some more content, another area, some new quests, etc, are welcome in my book. I've played through 5 times now. Obviously I like the game.

Very best,

• Like 6

I'm not saying I Dislike the game, in fact I have like 150 logged hours and am LOVING the new paladin changes (Chanters next please). I'm saying it feels more like DLC than an expansion.  I want the story to move forward, I want to know the consequences of my choice at the end of the game (W/O spoilers Wael gets me every time) WHAT HAPPENED TO EOTHAS?

I can only hope that Part 2 is an actual extension of the late game.

• Like 1

Because you're interested in seeing two new companions (one written by the same guy who wrote Eder yeeeeeeah), playing with new talents, and reading additional story material?

What you're asking for is a sequel, but a TotSC-style expansion was always promised first.

WHAT HAPPENED TO EOTHAS?

The Godhammer killed him. There's virtually nothing to contradict this. I dunno why anyone thinks otherwise.

Edited by gkathellar

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

WHAT HAPPENED TO EOTHAS?

The Godhammer killed him. There's virtually nothing to contradict this. I dunno why anyone thinks otherwise.

Well, that would not be the first time one of these self-proclaimed gods was either killed or seriously injured. Abydon had to rebuild himself into a golem after an apparent death. Mind you, the Godhammer Bomb was a first so perhaps the death really was permanent. Still, that piece of history leaves a few dangling plot threads just waiting to be picked up - like who gets to take Eothas' place in the realm of the gods? 

(I hope it's me :))

As for the expansion, I am looking forward to a winter wonderland of death and destruction in which to test my end-game party. I don't know if I should make it harder with the bonus option, but then again I found Path of the Damned quite easy so I guess I will. 

Edited by Venatio

WHAT HAPPENED TO EOTHAS?

Well, that would not be the first time one of these self-proclaimed gods was either killed or seriously injured. Abydon had to rebuild himself into a golem after an apparent death. Mind you, the Godhammer Bomb was a first so perhaps the death really was permanent. Still, that piece of history leaves a few dangling plot threads just waiting to be picked up - like who gets to take Eothas' place in the realm of the gods? 

It can't be you, since it's obviously me.

• Like 1

WHAT HAPPENED TO EOTHAS?

It can't be you, since it's obviously me.

It doesn't matter because there will be no gods after me.

• Like 1

Pillars of Bugothas

Even though I think everyone else in the thread already gave sufficient reasons, there is still more to it:

• Soulbound Weapons which will probably be stronger than the gear of the vanilla game
  • Higher Level Cap (If the game is too easy for you, try it with a smaller party or less cheesy tactics (less casters), you can make it arbitrary hard that way, so the increase in level is worthwhile).
  • The Add-on Content can either be in the level range 5-7 or you can scale it up in the late game, which means you can do it at the end of chapter 3 and still have a challenge this way.
  • Like 1

Have they talked about the whole splitting it up thing? I haven't been keeping up to date. Why are they splitting it into 2 parts? Is the story for part 1 just going to end in a cliff hanger? Is there even any story? I really don't get the whole part 1 & 2 thing, and I'm really not sure if I'll buy it if it's 20$ a part.

Edited by mindswayer

I hate Unity.

They are splitting it up so we won't have to wait that long to have access to new content. As we don't have access to part 1, no one knows how the transition to part 2 is going to be, but everyones guess is that there will be a clear cut and that we can't finish the new companions companions quests.

The story is about a village needing your help against ogre raids as well as unlocking an ancient, sealed forge, but you can easily read everything up if you look at the white-march-news thread, which always stays on the first page on this subforum ;)

From my understanding the expansion only adds content in the level 5-7 range and the ending of the game stays that way.  Doesn't really feel like an expansion and I don't see why I should buy side content let alone play 30 hours of it. I see what they are going for, the BG1 Tales of the Sword Coast style of expansion but I gotta be honest, most playthroughs of BG1 I skip all the ToSC content haha. The items are "Meh" seeing as soon as I am able to finish the content I could already beat the game and it takes an incredibly long time to clear it all.

Unless the items are full of +Accuracy stacking items then I don't see what the gear could possibly give me in the late game. Even on PotD the late game is ridiculously easy with properly built casters and the CC available. The only hard part is the final boss, who has such inflated defensive stats that more Accuracy is all I want. I guess an Arrows of Dispelling equivalent would be nice lol

You must buy the expansion.,...I have heard from a VERY reliable source that there may be Romance in the expansion...you don't need any other reason except  for that  :wub:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

You should probably stop listening to the voices in your head, bruce. BTW, this thread would seem to your liking I guess:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/80854-salty-mast-scenes-fade-to-black/

But....but .....the voices in my head are always nice to me, please don't deny me the inkling of support my voices give me...imagine how lonely I would be  :aiee:

Thanks for the link but I don't support anything luzarius says or posts, I try to be a  reasonable person but I really am  not prepared to engage with someone who is a bigot and pretends to be " interested in discussing real issues and concerns " yet just uses his posts to make covert attacks on the LGBT community 

• Like 4

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The game was alright, I know Icewind dale 2 and NwN2 were bigger. maybe if the expantion made this game as big as those would i buy and then replay the game.

On that note...

I wish all these games were as massive, and open to the community as the original Neverwinter Nights. Huge number of expansions for that game, along with a massive community created load of content that didn't require hacks and mods to work. Love the modular setup they took. And multiplayer to boot even with those.

Very best,

The game was alright, I know Icewind dale 2 and NwN2 were bigger. maybe if the expantion made this game as big as those would i buy and then replay the game.

On that note...

I wish all these games were as massive, and open to the community as the original Neverwinter Nights. Huge number of expansions for that game, along with a massive community created load of content that didn't require hacks and mods to work. Love the modular setup they took. And multiplayer to boot even with those.

Very best,

NWN was revolutionary, and everyone wants it to have a second coming. But bear in mind that it took ages to develop, had a terrible official campaign, and was technologically rudimentary for its time. The toolset was the focus of development, and it ended up being the whole point of the game.

Developing games has gotten exponentially more complicated, and the associated challenges of making a toolset thay's accessible to end-users are even bigger than they were at the time. It's unrealistic to think that games with a focus on story and aesthetics can play the role of successor to NWN, when they're generally so busy being actual good games.

• Like 2

had a terrible official campaign

That's a lie and you know it. While not as good as BG II, NWNs Campaign was far from being badly written or executed. I have fond memories of the quests that involved time travel, the quest in the snowglobe, the Captain's war and Mage Tower in Luskan and then some stuff. I remember the NPCs in NWN were mostly excellent written. 

But what I always loved the most about NWN ist the UI. A thing of beauty. 

True, I posted the link for kaz's answer though. ;)

Regarding the topic, there will be ogres with bazookas in the expansion. What more can you want?

"What more can you want?" How about being able to have an ogre with a bazooka as a main character? Now that would be cool. Looking forward the expansion. To the OP - simple really. Did you enjoy and if so do you want to play more POE? I'm ok with the ending as is  - it's the story of the Watcher. I'd hope that if there is POE2 that it would be with a new character and that they could deal more with the back story regarding the gods then.

• Like 2

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Now that I think about it - how about an Ogre ranger as a companion!

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light