Request: Character portraits that actually match the models, and/or snapshot portraits

Hi.

One of my biggest gripes with this game has got to be the lack of portraits that actually match the character models.

Could some kind person at Obsidian please add the feature of taking snapshots of the character model's actual face to use as portraits.

And after that some portraits based on the in-game models would be nice.

Thanks!

Get inside! RUN!

I can understand that you want to have this, but personally I think it wasn't that of a great feature in wasteland as it broke down the overall art style. Given that this probably costs also quite some ressources in addition to breaking the general art style, I doubt the devs will implement this.

HOWEVER, you can already import as many portraits to the game as you want. Given that this is a fantasy game, you can already find a lot of portrait packs online, which you can easily add to the game. These packs mostly don't cover the unique races Aumaua, Orlans and Godlikes,  but humans, elves and dwarves should be covered plenty. When patch 2.0 will come out eventually, they will also add new portraits for these cases.

In order to add your own portraits, look for instructions in this thread:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66894-how-to-make-custom-portraits/

You can make a snapshot yourself and add it to the game already! :)

An painter/illustrator by the name of Jason Seow has done some nice ones matching the actual head models on his website, here.

Especially handy for Godlike players, although there's also a great female wild orlan portrait, and one portrait specifically intended for characters wearing the Pilgrim's Lasting Vigil helm.

(also you can play Josh Sawyer the barbarian)

Edited by gkathellar
  • Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

An painter/illustrator by the name of Jason Seow has done some nice ones matching the actual head models on his website, here.

Especially handy for Godlike players, although there's also a great female wild orlan portrait, and one portrait specifically intended for characters wearing the Pilgrim's Lasting Vigil helm.

Wow, I didn't know there were custom portraits that look so freaking amazing and are freely available at the same time. Joshs portrait is also ingenious, although at first couldn't make the connection for some reason and thought it's a hommage to stannis from Game of Thrones, lol.

More like Paladin Josh Sawyer, from the Order of Balance. I really hope that breastplate becomes an item somewhere down the line.  

• Like 1

I would be ok with this to an extent. However, the character models for everything except Godlike races are pretty horrible (seriously, human and elf faces of both sexes are just pitiful). That seems to be a common theme with these games. I, for one, am glad that the portraits are not like the character models.

I can understand that you want to have this, but personally I think it wasn't that of a great feature in wasteland as it broke down the overall art style. Given that this probably costs also quite some ressources in addition to breaking the general art style, I doubt the devs will implement this.

HOWEVER, you can already import as many portraits to the game as you want. Given that this is a fantasy game, you can already find a lot of portrait packs online, which you can easily add to the game. These packs mostly don't cover the unique races Aumaua, Orlans and Godlikes,  but humans, elves and dwarves should be covered plenty. When patch 2.0 will come out eventually, they will also add new portraits for these cases.

In order to add your own portraits, look for instructions in this thread:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66894-how-to-make-custom-portraits/

You can make a snapshot yourself and add it to the game already! :)

Are we getting new portraits with patch 2.0?

When patch 2.0 will come out eventually, they will also add new portraits for these cases.

Are we getting new portraits with patch 2.0?

Well, they announced that they'd work on new portraits for the expansion to close some of the gaps they couldn't fill until release. Whether that will be exclusive to the expansion or included in a patch is open, but *my guess* would be they make them accessible to anyone. I mean, the way they handle the portraits, it is just too easy to grab the expansion portraits and upload them to some mod site, so they would be distributed for free anyway sooner or later, even if its illegal.

Edited by Doppelschwert

More like Paladin Josh Sawyer, from the Order of Balance. I really hope that breastplate becomes an item somewhere down the line.  

Yeah, while I'm sure people will actually play as Barbs with breastplates on and such, for the portrait, a big honkin' breastplate does not "Barbarian" yell.

Also, I didn't realize that was supposed to be Sawyer. Neat!