Saves disapear every time i start up

Dalar

Question

21 answers to this question

Hey Dalar, 

I apologize for the inconvenience. Are you able to make saves by using F5 (quick save)  or make an actual save file? Auto-saves will be replaced each time you transition into a new area and quick-saves will replace itself every time you hit F5. If possible, could you please upload a save file (if you have one) and an output log via dropbox and post the link here?

Have your tried to verify the integrity of the game cache? Give that a shot and see if that resolve your issue. In your Steam library right click on Pillars of Eternity -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

Make sure you check your save file location as well and see if there are save files in the folder. 

Savegames

Windows Location: %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity

Mac Location: ~/Library/Application Support/Pillars of Eternity/Saved Games

Linux Location: ~/.local/share/PillarsOfEternity/SavedGames

Thanks a bunch!

Hey Dalar, 

I apologize for the inconvenience. Are you able to make saves by using F5 (quick save)  or make an actual save file? Auto-saves will be replaced each time you transition into a new area and quick-saves will replace itself every time you hit F5. If possible, could you please upload a save file (if you have one) and an output log via dropbox and post the link here?

Have your tried to verify the integrity of the game cache? Give that a shot and see if that resolve your issue. In your Steam library right click on Pillars of Eternity -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

Make sure you check your save file location as well and see if there are save files in the folder. 

Savegames

Windows Location: %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity

Mac Location: ~/Library/Application Support/Pillars of Eternity/Saved Games

Linux Location: ~/.local/share/PillarsOfEternity/SavedGames

Thanks a bunch!

I am able to make all the types of saves, and i can load between them. But each time i exit the game and start it up again and come to the start menu. Sometimes right after restarting my pc, the game dont find any saves at all.

The saves are in the save location, Took a few random ones and coppied them to dropbox. (and an output log.)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5fg34ugm9ptwtas/AABiMLpp_bYg5f0dRGdsnYgYa?dl=0

The game verifyer, i have also tried, several times. each time, no change. but will try once more now.

Edited by Dalar

Thanks Dalar,

Could I get an DxDiag from you as well? I'll  write up a report and send it to the appropriate department, but in the mean time. If you haven't done this already, I would suggest that you back up your saves in a different folder before you finish your session, that way you have them handy when you want to play again. 

Thank you for your patience and support. 

game version 2.02.0749

I see files in C:\Users\myuser\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity from 5 october

but when trying to load I get last save from 31/8/15. a month of gameplay gone.

how frustrating. is there a fix?

Hi Aarik D,

Yes i did all... took me a long time cause i am a newbe for those things but i manage to find all (F5, steam debug, reinstall the game...)

But i have still the issue...

I dont no how to do the dxdial something to send you the data...

VoeuxPieux

I purchased PoE yesterday (10/11/15) via steam and had an absolute blast playing the game. I accumulated about 4 hours of play time, during which I was able to successfully autosave, quicksave, and manual save. Along with this it allowed me to load any of these files from the main start menu of the game. But when I exit the PoE client and restart it from the desktop it will no longer allow me to continue or load, the options are greyed out. 

I have done some research on this problem and it seems like I am not the only one experiencing this particular bug. 

So far I have tried:

- Restart game with new character, save, quit, reload

- Verify the integrity of the game cache

- Run PoE and Steam as an administrator

- Disabled/Enabled the Steam cloud for game synchronization

- Deleted and reinstalled game content on steam (after backing up game files)

- Deleted C:\Users\username\AppData\LocalLow\Obsidian Entertainment, 

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\Obsidian Entertainment

- Deleted C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity\loadedSave.zip

It shows that I do have saved files in C:\Users\username\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity in my Windows 8 explorer window, but nothing appears in game at the main menu when I try to load these files. I do not have the White March dlc. I've been looking around on the Steam and Obsidian forums for a fix and it seems like some of these steps have worked for some people, but so far nothing has worked for me. 

Sorry if I'm just bring up a redundant issue that already has multiple threads, but it seems like this has been a consistent problem since the launch of the game, and the few of us that are unfortunate to have this bug have not really been given any support. I really enjoy the game and would be very excited to continue playing. I just want to continue playing from where I left off, not from the beginning every time.

Attached are 3 saved files and my output log

I"m not sure if it worth noting that all my settings (keymapping/cursor speed/ graphics quality/ etc.) is saved when I exit to desktop amd automatically loads when I restart the client. It is just game files that will not load.

I have this problem randomly when I start the game: the Load Option/Continue option sometimes appears, sometimes it does not.

I'm betting that there is a timing issue between when the game loads its startup screen and when the saved files are associated with the game. It happens whether I ESC the initial video or let it lay all the way through.

I have a pair of Raid 1 SSDs and Dual graphic cards on my PC, so it's a very fast startup. The fact that sometimes the saved games appear and sometimes they don't leads me to suspect this timing issue.

Please let us know if this is a problem, and if so when your programmers plan to address it  (did your testers test on very fast-I/O, graphics PCs?)

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

There appears to be an issue with the TempSaveData folder. 

Go into your AppData folder and delete the TempSaveData along with CurrentGame. You can find those folders here: 'C:/Users/Username/AppData/Local/Temp/Obsidian Entertainment/Pillars of Eternity/TempSaveData' and the folder 'CurrentGame' next to it.

But before you do, please zip those folders and email them to support or upload load them here so we can figure out the root of the problem. 

Hope that works!