How to start being a backer?

With 2.0 and the White March coming down the road, I got to wondering how one can sign up as a backer this late in the game? 

Also, as someone who's only used Steam in order to buy this game...  I'm wondering how getting the updates and new stuff works via Steam?  Will Steam let me know when it's out there to be bought?  Do I have to check weekly on Steam to see if it there?  I'm a little lost dealing with Steam.

Thanks for any answers!

Grom

Hi.

Backers are people who put money toward the development of the game. It was really only possible to become one before the game was released; now it is only possible to be a buyer, which you already are from the sound of things :)

I don't use Steam, so I'll let someone else answer your other questions.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Patches are downloaded by Steam automatically once they're available.

As for the expansion, you'll have to check whether it's out yet. There's a News section for each of your Steam games in your library, it'll appear in the DLC store for PoE, someone will drop a line about it somewhere on the internet...

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

Yeah I kind of wish I could become a backer for the achievement at this point.

I'm a big ol' achievement ho when it comes to games I like and try to get 100% on them, and here's a case where there's no way that's possible since there's a backer only achievement. Which is frustrating me, but c'est la vie.

You might want to try following the game in Steam. That way announcements show up on the feed. An even better idea is to keep hanging out with us here on the forum. I see you have a few posts under your belt. Keep reading and posting and debating with folks and you'll keep abreast of things very well and enjoy the camaraderie of our little spot o' the internet at the same time.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

There is one possibility concerning the forum badge that might appear further in the future: if PoE adopts a long-term model at all like the Shadowrun Returns games (which are the closest real comparison/dignified competition PoE has, in a way) then there will be further Kickstarters for the "real" sequels to PoE. The expansions are obviously funded purely by purchases, but there's really no reason to not run a KS for a sequel, and the Harebrained guys even like to point out that they get lots of important feedback for each Shadowrun game from their backers for a given project. So if PoE goes for that model, you'll be able to get a forum badge and the backer achievement for the sequel if you back the sequel.

Getting the original Steam backer achievement, though?... sadly, you missed the boat on that one, no way around it. :(

Edited by SpaceDrake

With 2.0 and the White March coming down the road, I got to wondering how one can sign up as a backer this late in the game? 

Also, as someone who's only used Steam in order to buy this game...  I'm wondering how getting the updates and new stuff works via Steam?  Will Steam let me know when it's out there to be bought?  Do I have to check weekly on Steam to see if it there?  I'm a little lost dealing with Steam.

Thanks for any answers!

Grom

Just curious: Is this the Grom from the World of Greyhawk server?

SpaceDrake:  Thanks for the thoughts, I had a feeling that would be the case.   I wasn't thinking of the green "K" and badges you all got for being kickstarters though.  I was mainly hoping that by being a backer on any new content it would be easier to buy.  I'm still lost when it comes to all this steam stuff.  And at my age...  well, I just don't feel like putting that much effort into buying a game.

rjshae:  Sorry, didn't mean to offend you.  I do have to point out though...  You have it backwards:  I'm a backer lacker. 

Ink Blot:  Aye.

GoG is simpler ;)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Ink Blot:  Aye.

Welcome, Grom! Long time, no see. I was Cin* over there. Ah, remember the good old days slaying monsters with the likes of SmokinBob, Grizzled Dwarflord, Mystic Jester, and the rest of the crew? Good times. :)

Grom, hit me up with a PM if you're still interested in the game and I can maybe hook you up with a GOG version.

*edit: Dinichthys on the WoG forums.

Edited by Ink Blot

Hey Din..  or I should say Ink Blot  :-)    Yeah, those days were fun.  Still are really.  We still play Monday nights... 

I've got the game...  having a blast so far.  I thought about going to GoG, but read that if you bought the main game on either Steam or GoG, best to stay with the same company for any other add-ons you buy.

It may not surprise you...  I'm getting ready to start a "question" thread...  I have a few things about PoE that are bugging me and want to see if anyone has some ideas on what I might be doing wrong.  :-)

It may not surprise you...  I'm getting ready to start a "question" thread...  I have a few things about PoE that are bugging me and want to see if anyone has some ideas on what I might be doing wrong.  :-)

Go for it. People are pretty good here about giving some advice on builds and tactics. And yeah, you need to stay with the platform you got the game on as far as patches/DLC/expansions go.

So you guys are still going on Monday nights, huh? All the old crew still around? I seem to recall SmokingBob disappeared a while before I dropped off the server.

Yup, all the old crew.  Bob was off in the woods for a short bit, but him, Boh and MJ as well as The Krit are still going strong.  We just took out the fire giants last night...  Raine and the DMs keep the old place hopping.

You maybe surprised at some of the ne stuff and changes that have happened since you left.   Heck GDL still drops in quite a bit.

You maybe surprised at some of the ne stuff and changes that have happened since you left.   Heck GDL still drops in quite a bit.

Damn, I may havea to fire up the old NWN account, although I'd be pretty damned rusty at this point. Would be nice to run into GDL again too. Thanks for the info, Grom.

Thanks for any answers!

Grom

Heya,

Steam updates the moment the game is updated. You'll note when you load the game, look at the top right corner. It will give you news. There was news in the game (steam version) that announced 2.0 and all that. It will be as current as the game is. Steam is just another method to get the game without physical media (seems physical media was a UK only thing?). Steam gives you that simplicity, along with achievements (if you care about that stuff). When they drop White March and updates, it will be there on Steam too right away rest assured.

Very best,

To be honest with you Grom56, I kind of think of everyone who came and participated in the discussions here on the Obsidz boards as being backers. I know. To get the distinction, you had to be one of the people who ponied up the cash up front. However, that doesn't mean that everyone is important, from the fellow who paid enough to create an NPC to the guy who hears about it today and buys a copy, aren't important. I know I know! STFU and quit blowing smoke, Right? Well, I really feel that way. I paid in at my tier, but there were people who didn't get in on the kickstarter campaign because of various reasons (funds, didn't hear about it, whatever) who have contributed immensely more to the game than me. All I did was toss in an (extremely modest) sum of money.

I'm just a volunteer mod, serving at the pleasure of the powers that be, so I don't know anything, but I would be *very* surprised if Obsidz didn't do another kickstarter campaign. If they do, then you can buy in to get the shiny backer badge thing. ...But if you stick around and participate, you'll already have contributed to the project. Okay, I'd better end the pep talk before the flame throwers come out. :Cant's pensive and weak grin icon:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!