Hi I Have spent a lot of time in this game creating and deleting characters. I have gotten two characters as far as the big city and then I just lose interest and delete them. I am getting really annoyed because I love the BG games but I cannot seem to get in to this game as much. I really need help on deciding on what class to play? I enjoyed Rogues a lot In BG and Dragon Age but them seem weak in this game compared to the Cipher and I have tried the Cipher ,but there spells are kind a weird. 

Edited by bhill1007

This thread might belong more in the characters and builds section, but I guess no biggie.

I would suggest offhand that there are two ways to look at this question. Either go with what seems most familiar with the IE games (or more specifically the BG games) or go with something completely different. If you go the Monty Python route, I would suggest that cyphers are probably the least BG-like of the bunch. That's an off the cuff assertion, so take it as is. The class that is most BG-like would probably be priests a la clerics. Sure, there are differences, but priests pretty much function the way priests function. Heavy support and 'healing' spells. Ability to mix it up a little bit in the fray, but not as good a front line fighter as a more melee minded class.

I wouldn't take it from my cursory observations, however. If you're seeking some advice or consultation, give the thread a chance to draw commentary and weigh what you read before making another decision. The bottom line is, what might be best is not to worry about the character class and see if you can get a good mix with your NPCs. I think you can have at least four NPCs by the time you get to the city. If what you want is a good spread, find out what classes and where to find the NPCs, decide on your PC based on that, and then max out your party for the most interaction. That might be what you're missing.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

If I can make a suggestion:

Don't try to figure out what's "the best" or "most powerful".  If you like rogues, play a rogue. Once you suss out their skills and assemble a party that plays to their strengths your rogue will really shine.

Yes, cyphers are powerful.  So is every other class in the right hands, and more importantly, with the right team backing them.

• Like 3

"Walk away, before you get hurt." [benevolent] - Luma Akasha

I enjoyed Rogues a lot In BG and Dragon Age but them seem weak in this game compared to the Cipher

I play a rogue. Compared to both the original and custom companions he is amazing. Maybe you picked some less benefiting talents?

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Hello there,

Rogues are extremely powerful in this game. I'm also just now playing through the class (level 6 at Defiance Bay). Right now I am using a similar build to this: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/79744-tcs-rogue-dw-sabre-4-shot-thaos-1-bs-1-cs/

About 48% of my hits are critical strikes and my rogue accounts for most of my party kills. With Aloth casting CC spells, it creates a rogue's wonderland (rogues get huge damage bonuses on enemies that have certain status effects on them).

With this build you can either use stilletos or sabres. I prefer sabres because of the raw damage output.

For skills, I dump points into stealth and mechanics. With the upcoming 2.0 patch, your rogue will be able to stealth and position separately from the group. Mechanics is a must unless you have someone else in your party that handles traps and spotting hidden items.

This is a very fun build and things die fast. People say the rogue is a squishy class and can die fast. As a seasoned rogue-player I would imagine you know the code of the class, "a dead enemy can't hit me." Just remember that.

One suggestion I would make is no matter what class you choose put three points into Athletics.  Do that for each party member.  It helps keep endurance up both when traveling and in battle.  Remember that food helps with endurance and some foods have other bonuses.  I have seen several people recommend keeping cheese in a quick slot or in your inventory.  The effects are longer lasting than potions and you can feed your party members before battle and during battle.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Hello there,

Rogues are extremely powerful in this game. I'm also just now playing through the class (level 6 at Defiance Bay). Right now I am using a similar build to this: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/79744-tcs-rogue-dw-sabre-4-shot-thaos-1-bs-1-cs/

About 48% of my hits are critical strikes and my rogue accounts for most of my party kills. With Aloth casting CC spells, it creates a rogue's wonderland (rogues get huge damage bonuses on enemies that have certain status effects on them).

With this build you can either use stilletos or sabres. I prefer sabres because of the raw damage output.

For skills, I dump points into stealth and mechanics. With the upcoming 2.0 patch, your rogue will be able to stealth and position separately from the group. Mechanics is a must unless you have someone else in your party that handles traps and spotting hidden items.

This is a very fun build and things die fast. People say the rogue is a squishy class and can die fast. As a seasoned rogue-player I would imagine you know the code of the class, "a dead enemy can't hit me." Just remember that.

Now I got confused. Your rogue has Per 8 and Int 6, but in the character  creation window those are marked with a silver star. Shouldn't they be considered to be important attributes? And, another noob, question; do I get more attributes points later in the game?

You will find that there are those who advocate min/maxing and those who don't.  PoE allows for a variety of play styles so what is right for one person may be wrong for another.  Also what is fine for a hired adventurer may not be good for you main character as attributes do affect dialogue choices in the game.  I suggest reading carefully, thinking about what you want and then making your decision.

No you don't get more attribute points but you can find items or enchant armour to get get better stats.  My current priest started at  17 might but now has 19 but that could change when I change equipment.  You can also buff your character with food before a combat or a dialogue.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Now I got confused. Your rogue has Per 8 and Int 6, but in the character  creation window those are marked with a silver star. Shouldn't they be considered to be important attributes? And, another noob, question; do I get more attributes points later in the game?

Heya,

The stars are "suggestions" based on the class for absolute new-to-the-concept gamers.

You do not get more attributes later as you level up. You can raise attributes with quest rewards, items and buffs from spells/scrolls/food/resting bonuses.

Very best,

• Like 1

But how much INT do my character need to be able to make a sensible conversation or not to miss anything important? It's my character who does the talking, or...?
And I don't like my character to be an idiot. I like my character to be as my Twin in a fantasy World, so to speak.

But how much INT do my character need to be able to make a sensible conversation or not to miss anything important? It's my character who does the talking, or...?

And I don't like my character to be an idiot. I like my character to be as my Twin in a fantasy World, so to speak.

There are several points in the game that have dialog functions that check INT. And yes, all dialog is based on YOUR stats, not your companions. The way I see it, you either max INT if you want high INT, or you don't. There's not much point to having an INT of 13 for example, when you may need a check at 18 or 20 or something. Just remember, lots of things can be boosted later, such as getting a +2 INT from food or an item quite easily for those very specific dialog options (there's only one in the game frankly that requires really high INT, the rest do not).

In PoE, INT is not just you being an idiot or not. INT has a huge purpose for even martial characters. INT is one of those stats that in PoE is near universally useful, because it increases durations of effects and increases area of effects. That's huge. It's why you see all these posts about Barbarians with max INT and Paladins with max INT, etc.

Having an INT of 3 will not make you talk like you're ultra-special, it just will effect which dialog options you have at very FEW dialog points in the game.

Very best,

There are several points in the game that have dialog functions that check INT. And yes, all dialog is based on YOUR stats, not your companions. The way I see it, you either max INT if you want high INT, or you don't. There's not much point to having an INT of 13 for example, when you may need a check at 18 or 20 or something. Just remember, lots of things can be boosted later, such as getting a +2 INT from food or an item quite easily for those very specific dialog options (there's only one in the game frankly that requires really high INT, the rest do not).

In PoE, INT is not just you being an idiot or not. INT has a huge purpose for even martial characters. INT is one of those stats that in PoE is near universally useful, because it increases durations of effects and increases area of effects. That's huge. It's why you see all these posts about Barbarians with max INT and Paladins with max INT, etc.

Having an INT of 3 will not make you talk like you're ultra-special, it just will effect which dialog options you have at very FEW dialog points in the game.

Very best,

OK, thanks, but I still feel like I don't really know what to choose, but now I'll just build me a character and see how it goes. Who knows, when the 2.0 patch comes out maybe things have changed when it comes to how attributes affects.

Very best,

OK, thanks, but I still feel like I don't really know what to choose, but now I'll just build me a character and see how it goes. Who knows, when the 2.0 patch comes out maybe things have changed when it comes to how attributes affects.

And such is the beauty of having up to 6 people in the party. So if you feel you didn't choose the right playstyle in that character, it's not like you're doomed for the whole game, it's just one character of up to 6. And diversity is good.

I tend to pick a main character to set the tone, ie, lead conversations and choose how my reputations and stuff will be. This can be any class. I've played through quite a few times now and done it with "dumb" characters and the opposite, and it really didn't change much other than a few dialog options in the game.

I then pick the rest of my party via hirelings (I don't like the pre-made companions) and make them how I want too. So I can have a bit of anything I want going on.

So yes, pick something, play, and get some companions and make them something that interest you too. Play "all" of them and you will experience each class you have interest in.

Very best,

If you have some higher level save you can buy mercs of high level and just test different builds.

Everything could be fun.

Ciphers are fun, since they have easy class mechanic (mana from dmg). And limited spell selection is easier to grasp.

Druids are fun since they can roar, and are literally beast in combat.

Rogues are fun, since deal great dps, and watching for debuffs on target make them more comples than fire and forget.

Paladins are fun, since as player character can stack Order affiliation for better bonuses.

It;s easier if you can roleplay a bit, and just decide "I want to play Dwarven Barbarian from White Marches since that is how i roll".

Hi I Have spent a lot of time in this game creating and deleting characters. I have gotten two characters as far as the big city and then I just lose interest and delete them. I am getting really annoyed because I love the BG games but I cannot seem to get in to this game as much. I really need help on deciding on what class to play? I enjoyed Rogues a lot In BG and Dragon Age but them seem weak in this game compared to the Cipher and I have tried the Cipher ,but there spells are kind a weird. 

The best advice I could give you I've already written for someone else with similar concerns here. He was mostly interested in casters, but the advice I gave him could be just as useful no matter what class(es) you tend to enjoy most.

As others have pointed out, with a party of six, you don't have to choose one class! But the link I gave might be worth reading for more specific advice, which it sounds like you might want to feel more confident in your choices.

Best to you!