I just got Kana and im having a hard time getting himt to function and was wondering if someone could explain how to use him effectively?

qwert

Edit PS- Sorry topic should read The Chanter....huh?

Edited by Gfted1
Edited thread topic title.

Make easy money at home on your own time....I do:

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/swaguser19246113

I had a hard time with him too.  Even now I'm not sure I can really explain how he works.  His chants do have effects and he will keep chanting while fighting and casting spells.  His spells are based on a certain number of chant phrases.  Three phrases for level 1 spells and 4 for level 2.  I was told to have one set of chants that are quick.  Then the others can be slower.

Hope this helps and that you soon get a better explanation.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I had a hard time with him too.  Even now I'm not sure I can really explain how he works.  His chants do have effects and he will keep chanting while fighting and casting spells.  His spells are based on a certain number of chant phrases.  Three phrases for level 1 spells and 4 for level 2.  I was told to have one set of chants that are quick.  Then the others can be slower.

Hope this helps and that you soon get a better explanation.

I use Kana mainly to speed up my ranged attackers in combat. Quck reload and that stuff, I guess it's called "Ila nocked their arrwos with speed" or something. Because of ranged weaponst in PoE are very powerful, this is a welcome addition. 

Edited by Eisenheinrich

You can rearrange his chants to suit what you think will best help your group - I start with party buff chants usually two seperate ones once each then put several of the enemy debuff chant in a row then back to party buffs etc. so he buffs then debuffs for a while then buffs again hopefully the debuffing will take hold when the battle needs it - you also have to keep in mind what the radius of his chants are and place him where they will effect those you wish to effect. If you have him hanging way back and using his gun his chants aren't going to do much for you. (Altho I have never really looked into exactly how big his AoE is myself :p )

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Chanters are best used one of two ways:  Melee tank, or ranged DPS. 

The latter is simple-- get Ila Knocked, use it all the time, take ranged-combat feats, and pick invocations that are useful from range (this means summons).  The usefulness of this depends largely on how many other characters you've got using ranged weapons. 

That said, I think the tank option is a little better.  Stack deflection and DR, take tanky feats, and put him out front.  Chanters' unique power is that the "main thing" their class does is virtually unaffected by penalties to action speed.  They keep accumulating Chants at the same pace in plate mail as they do naked.  Given that you probably need 1 or 2 characters out front in heavy armor, you might as well make one of them out of the character whose class ability is not held back by said heavy armor.  Plus, there are a number of chants and invocations that have useful short-range effects (the frightening chant and the paralyzing invocation are both really nice), and Chanters' Lore bonus can be put to good use reading cone/ray-type scrolls when you need extra offensive punch. 

am gonna agree that the chanter is better suited towards a tank role.  you need take cautious attack and the shield talents before you are at all effective in a tanking role, but you will eventual have impressive deflection.  furthermore, chants is not interrupted by your standard attacks, so while you are beating ogres with your tiny hatchet, you are also building up phrases.

the thing is, am finding that we don't much like the chant mechanic unless we have multiple chanters in a party.  and we don't like multiple chanters in a party.  with 2 chanters, each alternating their chants in a mirrored fashion, we can keep our party constant under the influence o' 2-3 phrases, depending on linger. otherwise, if we want constant and dependable phrase coverage throughout a battle, we is reduced to a single phrase.  2 chanters is ideal for making most use of phrases.  unfortunately, we don't like chanters enough to use more than 1.  wait for invocations to become available is kinda antithetical to our gameplay philosophy.  the relative lack o' flexibility o' the chanter is difficult for us to embrace.

even so, we admit that a 2-chanter party can be most efficacious.

also, there is a certain irony in the fact that the classes that get lore are able to make less use o' the skill than most o' the classes that don't get lore.  fighters, monks and rogues get no class bonus for lore.  but those non-spell casting classes have the highest base accuracy.  well, when lore is used to cast spells, you use class accuracy math.  therefore, a monk, rogue and fighter is actual gonna be more dangerous when successful using a scroll than will a mage, priest or chanter.  go figure.  you not need many points in lore to take advantage o' most scrolls, so is actual our strat to give lore to everybody, but especial the high accuracy classes.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It bears noting that in addition to tank and ranged DPS, you can get fairly good mileage out of a mixed DPS chanter using a combination of ranged and melee talents. Kana has given me good results with Armsmaster, Quick Switch, and Weapon Focus: Soldier to use a set of three arbalests followed by Tidefall (a greatsword, for those not in the know).

Also: Chanters, like Barbarians, actually rely on Intelligence more than most casters do. With an Intelligence of 19-22 (depending on the levels of the verses), you can get enough linger on individual verses that two of them can be maintained full time.

• Like 3

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

It bears noting that in addition to tank and ranged DPS, you can get fairly good mileage out of a mixed DPS chanter using a combination of ranged and melee talents. Kana has given me good results with Armsmaster, Quick Switch, and Weapon Focus: Soldier to use a set of three arbalests followed by Tidefall (a greatsword, for those not in the know).

Also: Chanters, like Barbarians, actually rely on Intelligence more than most casters do. With an Intelligence of 19-22 (depending on the levels of the verses), you can get enough linger on individual verses that two of them can be maintained full time.

Really good to know. I hadn't considered that. I like having Kana as a tank, but my offensive line almost always obliterate the opponents before his invocations come online. Longer lingering chants would help offset that, making it more palatable.

"Walk away, before you get hurt." [benevolent] - Luma Akasha

• 3 weeks later...

I find the chanter a bit of a dull class to play. I have Kana at level 6 and he has four invocations to use. Only recently did I feel a third phrase in his cycle was warranted.

In play they're not much more functional than a summoned critter with an aura.

I use Kana as mixed warrior. With Soldier weapon set, and Arsenal. With albaster, greatsword, and hatchet shield. Feats for 2H fighting.

I use Eder as full time tank so Kana is trying to dps/body block.

Chants:

Set I: Blesses was... At the sight... Dull the edge (for stack building)

Set II: Sure handed Ila... Dull... (for volley)

Invocations:

Summons: Sceletors (almost not use) Wyrms (used a lot)

Utylity: Hel Hyraf, The thunder, At the Soun of voice (basicly debuffs/stuns)

I think it works. Good thing is it does not require much attencion and is swinging the sword, while tanking some hits.

Full tank options looks more interesting, since free up party slot for more dps while providing useful aura (so better than Eder, or allows to play Eder as DPS ;-) something to look forward with companion retrain).