Paralyze over Prone cancels both

Nobear

Question

Before I go any further, is this a known bug? It seems likely that others would have noticed it if it's a widely occurring bug.

Essentially, any time an enemy is already Prone (say, from Aloth's Slicken), and then I paralyze one of them (say, with Grieving Mother's Mental Binding), the enemy gets liberated to go about their business. I haven't even checked to see if they are otherwise still debuffed, but it adds an artificial constraint onto the tactics I employ in fights, which I'd prefer not to deal with since it makes no sense.

4 answers to this question

Some afflictions are ordered into a hierarchy of effects, which means that each affliction is a more dangerous version of the last in the hierarchy.

In your case, I think the hierarchy is prone -> paralyzed -> petrified.

In particular, this also means that stronger versions override weaker versions, so paralyze cancelling prone is intented as explained by Josh, at least if this is the correct hierarchy.

Other examples from the top of my head are charmed -> dominated and frightened -> terrified.

When your paralyze duration is very low due to grazing the enemy and/or low intellect, then it may seem like one affliction cancelling the other instantly, but the overriding of prone by paralyze is meant to be. Understandably, it is confusing why the leftover duration of the weaker affliction wouldn't start after the stronger affliction ends. I think the ingame glossar also has some information on these hierarchies.

Edited by Doppelschwert

Some afflictions are ordered into a hierarchy of effects, which means that each affliction is a more dangerous version of the last in the hierarchy.

In your case, I think the hierarchy is prone -> paralyzed -> petrified.

In particular, this also means that stronger versions override weaker versions, so paralyze cancelling prone is intented as explained by Josh, at least if this is the correct hierarchy.

Other examples from the top of my head are charmed -> dominated and frightened -> terrified.

When your paralyze duration is very low due to grazing the enemy and/or low intellect, then it may seem like one affliction cancelling the other instantly, but the overriding of prone by paralyze is meant to be. Understandably, it is confusing why the leftover duration of the weaker affliction wouldn't start after the stronger affliction ends. I think the ingame glossar also has some information on these hierarchies.

You know, that sounds like a plausible explanation, and I will pay close attention from now on to make sure it is not just what you describe. It seems a corollary would be that (if working as intended), casting prone after paralyze should have no effect on the paralyzed target at all.