If I buy base game on GoG or Steam am I locked in to same site for expansion?

crine

Question

5 answers to this question

Hello, crine.  More or less, yes, you are locked in as far as your updates go.  This is not entirely true, as there are a few options for you with GoG, as it is DRM-free, but the short answer is that you'll have to use GoG to keep your game updated.  For any other unofficial options out there I would suggest Google.  Thanks for your support, hope you enjoy the game!

- Refer to this thread if you are having trouble finding any information I requested http://forums.obsidi...eport-an-issue/

I wound up purchasing the game on GoG and so far I am enjoying it, thanks. I didn't mean updates/patches which I understand would come from the source of the game but the expansion(s) that are coming out in the future. Since I have the GoG version if I were to buy your expansions or sequels would I have to purchase them only from GoG in order to have it recognize my base game saves and continue or would it be possible to purchase it from Steam or a Steam related site if they had a better price?

Hello, again.  Your saved games are in a separate folder, so they should work no matter what platform you have purchased the game on.  This is as long as your saves are not synced to the cloud somewhere as that has caused issues cross-platform in the past.  Sorry for the confusion with updates vs. the expansion.  Glad you're enjoying the game, thanks!!

- Refer to this thread if you are having trouble finding any information I requested http://forums.obsidi...eport-an-issue/

...Since I have the GoG version if I were to buy your expansions or sequels would I have to purchase them only from GoG in order to have it recognize my base game saves and continue or would it be possible to purchase it from Steam or a Steam related site if they had a better price?

While saved games should be compatible across versions as celliott has noted, it seems very unlikely that you would be able to install a Steam version of the expansion over the GOG version of the base game, without considerable effort. The Steam installer will expect the game to be in a different location and while it is possible to import a game into Steam, there's no guarantee that subsequent updates would work as intended.

A similar issue applies in reverse - the GOG installer creates specific registry entries which are checked for by updates and expansions. So the GOG version of PoE's expansion would not recognise the presence of a Steam version of the PoE base game, unless you created the appropriate registry entries.

So it's better to stick with the same vendor when it comes to (digital) expansions/add-ons. GOG do hold sales if you want to hold out for a cheaper price (though aside from an initial/pre-order discount, I suspect there'll be a wait of a year or more with a game as popular as PoE) but the complications of mixing versions are likely to far outweigh any cost savings.

Hello, again.  What AstralWanderer is saying is absolutely correct.  I guess I didn't address that part of the question at all in that post, or quote my other answer that did, my apologies.  I was focusing on saved games for that post.  As AstralWanderer has stated, stick with GoG for your updates and expansions as that is where you have purchased the game.  Thanks for your ongoing support everyone!!