LOL...anyone else do this due to it being brought on by POE?

After playing POE for a while and still playing started realizing this isnt AD&D and well when i was young i played AD&D with my younger brother and well to make a long story short i totally re-installer both Baldur's Gates Enhanced Editions and even went as far as re-installing Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition.....im thinking bout getting the new expansion coming out for BG EE but of course once im done playing POE.

Make easy money at home on your own time....I do:

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/swaguser19246113

am genuine surprised that Gromnir has not purchased the iwd ee.  to us, iwd were more fun than bg... better looking and sounding too.  am unsure why we didn't pull the trigger on iwd ee.  

that being said, we woulda' paid $100 per game if the ie ee games utilized iwd2's d20(ish) rules.  we played d&d as far back as the white-box edition, but am admitting we were never a genuine fan o' the ad&d system, particularly 2.0.  3.5 edition, sans all the splat books, were our favorite d&d incarnation.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

am genuine surprised that Gromnir has not purchased the iwd ee.  to us, iwd were more fun than bg... better looking and sounding too.  am unsure why we didn't pull the trigger on iwd ee.  

that being said, we woulda' paid $100 per game if the ie ee games utilized iwd2's d20(ish) rules.  we played d&d as far back as the white-box edition, but am admitting we were never a genuine fan o' the ad&d system, particularly 2.0.  3.5 edition, sans all the splat books, were our favorite d&d incarnation.  

HA! Good Fun!

well keep your finger's crossed that they will do a IWD 2 EE :)

Havnt yet. I played BG2 so many times I cant bring myself to play it anymore.

Icewind I never finished because it felt like it was missing too much. No kits would be the main thing that turned me off I think. Character creation and advancment is very important to me. After BG2 spoiled me I couldnt get into Icewind because it felt too dated.

Heya,

Of course. If it's been a while, and you're wanting more, there's some long games to get into.

Baldur's Gate + Tales of the Sword Coast

Baldur's Gate II + Throne of Bhaal

Icewind Dale + Heart of Winter

Icewind Dale II

Planescape Torment

Neverwinter Nights +  7 Expansions & User Created Content (huge)

Neverwinter Nights 2 + 3 Expansions

Soon, Sword Coast Legends... very exciting!

And of course, soon, Expansion to POE.

Personally I thought Icewind Dale series was just awesome fun for a single player, followed by the original Neverwinter Nights out of this grouping (great solo or with friends). Torment is one I've yet to complete (single player), really deep and interesting game (super interesting), but I just never finished it for some reason? I guess I should!

I played through the whole Baldur's Gate series with a friend via lan back in the day, and we had a long week of non-stop gaming, so good, so good.

Very best,

Edited by MalVeauX

I personally didn't like IWD much at all; I focus very much on characters, plot, story, etc. and for me IWD was basically pointless. It wasn't bad for what it was, just that I very clearly wasn't the target audience. BGII and Planescape: Torment are where it's at for me, but I was plying BGII EE in the weeks leading up to PoE's release. So I'm good on that.

Funny, I always thought I was the only one who prefered the IWD-Games over BG. Besides the ridiculous writing, the bland story  and the puppet-companions, IWD captured the feeling of oldschool dungeoneering far better than BG. I have fond memories of slaughtering my way through all 5 levels of the Dragon's Eye or the purge of the Severed Hand. Ah, the bloodshed. 

Edited by Eisenheinrich

Since I'd have to be willing to shell out twice the GoG price of BG1 and 2 for Beamdog's crappy additions and horrible UI changes to own BGEE, I can say pretty definitely that I didn't reinstall it.

I did, however, play Tutu again back when PoE was first released.

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

After playing POE for a while and still playing started realizing this isnt AD&D and well when i was young i played AD&D with my younger brother and well to make a long story short i totally re-installer both Baldur's Gates Enhanced Editions and even went as far as re-installing Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition.....im thinking bout getting the new expansion coming out for BG EE but of course once im done playing POE.

Never mind that - I've bought all the D&D 5th edition books and tonight I'm DMing 5 people in the first session I've done for 20 years!!

Never mind that - I've bought all the D&D 5th edition books and tonight I'm DMing 5 people in the first session I've done for 20 years!!

Thats cool ....i bought all the 4th edition books cuz my son wanted to play but i just couldnt get into it like i did when i was younger with my brother back when it was 2nd edition.

Thats cool ....i bought all the 4th edition books cuz my son wanted to play but i just couldnt get into it like i did when i was younger with my brother back when it was 2nd edition.

4th edition never interested me - people said it was influenced by MMORPGs like World of Warcraft, and started using terms like 'Tank' and 'Glass Cannon' and I switched off.

5th edition is back to the roots to some extent, but with many inconsistencies ironed out. I recommend you give it a look! The books are beautifully done, for a start.

I think a lot of it is well my age....i was 18 - 19 back when me.my brother,my brother's friend and ex wife played 2nd edition like everyday for hours on end....then with the computer coming out to me it killed the DM now i dont need a Dm and can play all by myself whenever i want to....but man back in the day AD&D was a big part of our lives and budget...have a lot of good memories bout it.

So i just try to get the D&D type games and just game on.

I replayed the BG trilogy and finished about two weeks before PE was released.  It did not diminish my desire to play PE at all, and I have 160 hours in it now.  PE made several real gameplay improvements over the Infinity Engine that I appreciate.  My biggest issue right now is that I want more content.

Edited by anameforobsidian

Although I played it for a number of years, D&D is not my favorite tabletop RPG system, and I don't think it's very well suited to CRPG's.  I don't think that the IE games benefited (except in a financial sense) from using it.

4E is beautifully suited to CRPGs because it requires a lot of math, positioning, and visual set up.  It does play like a cross between DnD and a minifig game, but it is nothing like MMOs.  People call it an MMO because they noticed the paradigm that already existed and gave it a name, but really they're mad because of they finally started taking steps to limit the poisonous "casters do everything" problem D&D had.  Also the books are long, so half the players didn't read the rituals section.  

That said, I'm enjoying d6 space right now more than I ever enjoyed d&d 3 or 4.

Edited by anameforobsidian
  • Like 1

I seem to be one of the few that truly appreciate BGEE and BG2EE. I started a "saga run" in which I would take the same main character (multi-class elf - Fighter/Mage dual wielding long swords and katanas) through all of the titles and expansions. I got to Baldur's Gate city when PoE was released, so I never had the chance to finish.

To answer your question, I am very much enjoying PoE and look forward to returning to the BG, NWN and perhaps the IWD series afterwards. Very good games that still stand strong today.