Old school comic artists.

Gorgon

Moebius was one of the true masters of the visual medium. Surreal and expansive, his landscapes are some of the best ever, bar none.

Moebius_005.jpgmoebius-arzac-19.jpg

Edited by GhoulishVisage
  • Like 6

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

Will Eisner

eisner1.jpg

Jack Kirby

kirby_lordoflight_2.jpeg

Frank Miller

comic-book-legal-defense-fund-ad2.jpg

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Always liked Carl Critchlow, even when he changed his style, Thrud always made me chuckle.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Not sure what we're considering "old school" given that we're listing a bunch of cool artists who are still doing work.

Anyhow obviously as a fan of the medium there are a lot of artists I could count. But I'll try to pace myself:

Nick Cardy:

ncardy.png

US comic artist, started in the "Golden Age" of American comics. Was a top talent with DC in the 60s (stints on Teen Titans, Aquaman, Bat Lash) as well as the late 60s cover artist for most of their line. Went on to do commercial poster art in the 1970s. Passed away in 2013.

Don Lawrence
dltrigan.png

UK artist, best know for The Rise and Fall of the Trigan Empire and Storm. Passed away in 2003.

Akihiro Yamada
akihiroyamada.png

Japanese illustrator of Record of Lodoss War: The Lady of Pharis; mostly moved to book illustrations and book covers.

Reed Crandall
rcrandall.png

US golden age artist; worked on a number of books in the 1940s (Blackhawks, Doll Man); did work for EC in the 50s, Warren, Tower and King Comics in the 60s and continued doing comic work until he suffered a stroke in 1974. He passed away in 1981.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

David Mazzucchelli. Especially from Year One and Born Again.

0e02a1a200511b7511327c5d15b2aefa.jpgtumblr_mo02u9T8IG1s2r3opo1_1280.jpg

Screen-shot-2012-11-08-at-11.21.22.png

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Frank Castle/The Punisher was originally designed by writer Gerry Conway who drew a costume sketch, John Romita, Sr. fleshed the design out and Ross Andru drew his first appearance.

For today, I give you a different Frank, UK Artist Frank Bellamy:

fbellamy.png

Known for revitalizing Dan Dare, work in  Eagle comics and TV Century 21, as well as the newspaper strip "Garth" and loads of illustrations, book covers and such.  Passed away in 1976

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Hal Foster -- Prince Valiant. As classic as you can get.

USE6.JPG

PrinceValiant.jpg

7260361948_41eb1e6496_b.jpg

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Foster's one of the greats, alright.  I had him earmarked for reference as there are several US Comic strip artists like Foster worth mentioning.

I only recall one book called "Dago"; written by Robin Wood with Alberto Salinas as the first artist and Carlos Gomez as the second.

Not sure if that's the same book or not.  I believe it has not been translated into English, but I think it has been translated into Spanish (or started in Spanish and was translated into Italian, not sure which).

Today I'll mention two Filipino artists.

First is the legendary Nestor Redondo:

redondo.jpg

Redondo, who passed away in 1995, was already a big star (thanks in part to books like DARNA, with Mars Ravelo) in the Phillipenes before starting to work in the US.  I'd love to see collections of his work translated and released in English from his early days.

The second is the inimitable E. R. Cruz

cruz.jpg

Cruz was a highlight of a lot of 1970s horror, war and mystery comics; his style is unmistakable.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Most of their adaptions of the comics have kinda been so-so, so I hope its good. Its one of the better stories

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

whatshisface the old joker who OD on pills (Heath Ledger) stole all his lines from this

I don't get it, is this irony, niche commentary where true Joker fans method-act heartless barbs into dead artists.   

You are allowed to steal, as long as you steal from the best. 

They also need to come up with a new distincitve style. A lot of animated Batman, even stuff I like, kinda looks like crap. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.