Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[CLASS BUILD] Lady of Pain - High-speed, heavy-armored DPS Fighter

• Please log in to reply
229 replies to this topic

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5299 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Note for anyone going for the crit build: The talent Dozen's Luck and Durgan Steel on armors currently work the other way around. Instead of converting incoming crits to hits as advertised, they convert the crits that you inflict on enemies to hits. For this reason, I strongly advise against them until they are fixed (I've already raised the issue in the technical forum.) The increase in DPS from Durgan Steel's speed penalty reduction is probably still worth it in other cases, but a 20% crit-to-hit conversion on a crit build is a big no-no. The talent itself is fairly easy to avoid.

Edited by AndreaColombo, 05 November 2015 - 11:59 AM.

aweigh0101

aweigh0101

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • Steam:Julio Sotomayor

sadness... i hate stuff like that. andreacolombo what do you think of the increased threat-zone on engagement, btw? can't provide photographic evidence but there is also an undocumented increase in enemy damage from their disengagement atks.

i approve. fights are more tactical now in the context of PoE-style RtwP. i thought they had succesively made engagement meaningless with each patch but sawyer sure showed me; 2.03 has brought engagement mechanic back to the forefront. visual fx and text pop up and everything oh my!

(to test this yourself andreacolombo easiest way is spawn a lion or a human mercenary and go ahead and test out the range at which the mob will force-pull you into his engagement. you will also notice that due to this careless movement on your part produces more engagement blows than ever before. i had a lion 1 shot durance from like, half a lion's body-length away as durance was kiting the lion; dat claw to the back was glorious and magical. first moment i noticed this change)

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5299 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I haven't really tried 2.03 yet, but I've always been a detractor of the engagement system. I stopped using the "Disable Engagement" component of the IE Mod only after 2.0 made the whole mechanic largely irrelevant. If it is now back to relevant, I may have to wait until IE Mod is made to work with 2.04 to do another play through (the bug with Durgan Steel and Dozen's Luck is a showstopper for me, so I'm stuck waiting for 2.04 to fix it.) Alas.

I'm rather taken aback by the fact that such an important change was not documented or communicated in any way, however.

aweigh0101

aweigh0101

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • Steam:Julio Sotomayor

me too man, heck, even putting aside the ASSUMED damage increase in the Dis-Atk's, as i can't provide proof since the combat log gives no output about DA's at all; it wasn't even mentioned in passing about the addition of a big ole text pop-up that says "Disengagement!" accompanied by an incredibly quick reddish-pink "slash" VFX.

now i have to say that having spent the last 2 days playing 2.03 runthrough, i went in thinking that i would have a brand new experience in the big tough fights due to immunites. imagine my surprise when i now can honestly report that i've barely even noticed immunities, as i'm always packing versatile gear/tools for any situation that might arise, rather it is the increased danger of receving a Dis-Atk and i am positive to report as well that it holds very much true for the player versus the enemy as well. never before have the DA's been so GOOD, and it has forced to put the brain to use in a lot of set-pieces and use choke points differently, to really discipline myself to having an effective party composition and to actually use a tactically-minded formation AT ALL TIMES.

this is the first time EVER that i've decided it is beneficial, and way more fun to create a true and proper rank and file formation in shape of half-phalanx. 2 paladins form the point of the wedge armed with greatswords (dual types for imm's) with backup warhammers for crushing mobs / 1 fighter and 1 rogue 4 meters behind them armed with pikes so as to use the reach from behind the two paladins / 1 cipher and 1 priest 4 more meters behind but spread outwards towards the edges so as to be able to run quickly towards the "center", the hole in the middle and thus be safe. this lessens blockage situations. the rangers pet is my scout, heh, and he does his own thing :)

kiting is obviously as effective as always, it is a RTWP system and that is inherent in its design, however due to the noticeably increased "disengagement zone" mobs emit you better do your kiting well or get ready to get mauled in the back. i actually had to turn on the option "continue moving on engagement" in the menu just because my usual battle plans of having a scouting unit or a scout team kite enemies back to either a doorway or a wall corner or any place at all that allows to put backs against walls, and they would freaking get force-pulled backwards while running from the disengagement lasso hah. it was mildly annoying but now that i've had time to play and experience this change i can say that it's not a big deal really. it just forces you to be better at the game i.e. you have to plan ahead better and you have to be careful in your plan execution and you should always disable AI and pay attention to your flanks.

sometimes it is much better to just take the Dis-Atk from the mob who is too fast and caught you by surprise in the opn and go get some cover and protect your flanks and your allies as well. also always position with intent to flank the enemy yourself, it is the optimal way to control the chaotic melees in the game and own the space.

one thing i've done a few times with the ranger pet this run is something brand new for me: i send the stealthiest unit, the scout, to engage the enemy and kite them back to the vanguard meanwhile i then send the pet running towards the mob that is being kited as the scout is returning, i.e. the pet and the scout pass by each other and i then send the pent sideways into a completely different direction with the intent of pulling someof the enemies away completely from the rest of my team waiting in position. this serves the purpose of splitting up big groups in an effective manner, and the most optimal usage is to have the pet try to pull away the enemy mages, who are the worst as you all know. it's quite useful because then while 1 half of the enemy mob is busy getting bushwacked by my party set up wherever they were, the other half is busy whacking at the pet. and once they kill it (not always but yeah, it's a suicide mission for the poor bugger) they never have enough intelligence to go on and join their friends against me. they just stand around the dead pet doing nothing, or bugger off. once i deal with the 1st group that was kited by the scout i go and steam roll the half that was pulled by the pet. 

tldr: "Disengagement!"

Mocker22

Mocker22

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 304 posts
  • Any word on when 2.04 may be out to fix the Durgan steel and Dozen's luck problem that Andrea mentioned above. I'm very sad I can't roll this crit build right now.

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5299 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Unfortunately not. 2.03 has just come out so I expect 2.04 to take at least three more weeks before the beta is rolled out. This is a guesstimate based on previous patches.

For now, QA still need to confirm the bug (which I'm sure will happen shortly; I can repro with 100% reliability.)

I'm taking a pause from the game until 2.04 is out and the IE Mod is made compatible with it.

Mocker22

Mocker22

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 304 posts

Ya that is really a game breaking bug for a lot of classes. Its to bad :(

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5299 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I can't seem to repro the issue in 2.03. Could someone else test and confirm?

wbc889

wbc889

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Appears to have been fixed. I had Devil of Caroc attack Eder, who is wearing Durgan steel enhanced 'He Carries Many Scars'.

Devil had a crit that was mitigated to a hit by 'Durgan Scars'

https://imgur.com/YS7F05O

https://imgur.com/G65hXQH

• AndreaColombo and grausch like this

Mocker22

Mocker22

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 304 posts

Almost done with a play through with this build. Gotta say I really am liking it. Consistently hitting in the 80-90s range, attack fast, and can tank like a mofo if needed. First really hard fight in a while was the Alpine Dragon. Gotta admit, I spammed Petrify until it landed and just went to town on him but was still impressed by the dmg. Getting to the point in the game where I am ready to try one of the next 1000 toons I want to make so I gotta stay strong and finish this playthrough.

• AndreaColombo likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13376 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
My next playthrough will also be with this build (well, 95% of this build. I want to try out Rapid Recovery plus Cloak of the Tireless Defender plus Trollhide Belt instead of Shod-in-faith for a steady +6? end/3sec base and see how that goes). Now that the engagement and disengagement radius is even bigger, I might also go for Defender. Last playthrough my two animal companions were wrecking stuff with diseng. attacks.
Then I want to try out a dual stiletto painful interdiction skaen priest as main. Rogue with spells that is.
Then my "Prone Drone" auto attacker swashbuckler monk I tested the other day (dual wielding durgan refined Sword of Daenysis + March Steel Dagger and Angio's Gambeson. Uses Force of Ang. and Boots of Speed together with Long Stride). He has +25+20+20+15 = +80% Attack Speed by design without other buffs and can use the Alacrity from the gambeson for his two elemental thugs that use their fists and get +50% Attack Speed for free that way. He's not a superoverpowered DPSer but it's so much fun to watch him go zip zig zag and proning and piercing things without microing.
Then I want to use a build that uses Badgrad's Barricade that I'm testing atm. Not sure which class I will use.
I also want to try a combination of stormcaller (shock DR reduction) and Black Sanctuary tank (Warding Seal on getting a crit). That's what I need the shod-in-faith for. The seal's shock damage might be nice together with the DR reduction. Also not sure which class(es) I want to use for this. A Druid Tank? ;) Or maybe I'll try an unarmed druid with Novice's Suffering and Skandals of the Forgotten Friar. ;) Does anybody know if the +2 unarmed damage bonus of the sandals also applies to Spiritshift weapons? I know Novice's Suffering doesn't.

Edited by Boeroer, 15 November 2015 - 01:32 AM.

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5299 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I also want to try a combination of stormcaller (shock DR reduction) and Black Sanctuary tank (Warding Seal on getting a crit).

What's a Black Sanctuary?

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13376 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
A small shield from the Alpine Dragon's den. You get Sabra Marie and Black Sanctuary. It casts Warding Seal 2 times per encounter when you get a crit in your face. Maybe a char that totally delves in getting crits (spell holding)/dealing crits (spell striking) would be interesting: jolting touch stiletto plus black sanctuary - when all charges are gone switch to Bleak Fang stiletto and Badgradr's Barricade. Together with Sanguine Plate and Shod-in-Faith and Cloak of the Master Mystic and so on. Might be fun.
This cries for monk since you need high ACC as well as good health.
Does carnage still do this crazy things with jolting touch?

Edited by Boeroer, 15 November 2015 - 07:10 AM.

Mocker22

Mocker22

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 304 posts

Ya man my problem is I always have too many characters I want to try. Just the short list would be

Wiz - melee and standard

Barb - Tall Grass to start then switch to dual battle axes

Plenty more but one of those will be my next one. Might run a wiz main for roleplay purposes and then have a nice barb hireling.

Also wanting to try a solo run through. Probably with a wiz as I'm just a caster fanboi always.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13376 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Sad news for the monk: Spell Binding items do no longer work with his duplicates. Bye-bye free Alacrity. :(

But besides that: just tested the Prone Drone monk with the setup I mentioned above. Added Fast Runner at lvl 14 for a hilarious move speed bonus of 6. For dps it would be better to take Apprentice's Sneak Attack though, but this is more fun to watch.

With a durgan refined robe, durgan refined dual wielding speedy weapons (Sword o Daenysis + March Steel Dagger) and Swift Strikes on there's no recovery bar anymore - even when I use Vuln. Attack. The puny damage of the rapier/dagger got pimped by Turning Wheel, Lightning Strikes, Savage Attack, lashes and superior enchantment. Together with Ryona's Vembraces he has 11 DR bypass for the Sword of Daenysis (rending) and 8 for the Dagger. I just solo'd Nalrend the Wise and hit him for 20 to 60 points of damage every half second or so. That's better than I expected. As I said: no recovery bar visible (without any potions and food and spells). It's just *pierce*slash*pierce*slash*. :D

If you turn the AI on and let him use Force of Anguish and Swift Strikes aggressively you can just fire and forget him. He runs around, prones enemies and tiggles them with his speedy toothpicks. Moon Godlike, Iron Wheel and Blunting Belt plus crush-proofed Gwisk Glas for survival. If he goes 1:1 the enemy is perma-interrupted. Very nice auto attacker - needs nearly no microing. Love it! Maybe I will use another race so that I can wear the Dandy Hat of the Diseased Yak together with some vailian cloth outfit to spare the durgan ingots and to make him really look like a noble duelist with rapier and dagger. Style is important! ;)

So now I have companion number one for my own Lady of Pain. :)

Excuse me, I have to test the next idea... 

Edited by Boeroer, 15 November 2015 - 03:20 PM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13376 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Whoop! The LoP is a really nice dragon killer, too! I just killed the Alpine Dragon with her. Used Drake's Bell instead of the BotEP - and a Paladin tank to distract the dragon. With the bell and Ryona's Vambraces you accumulate 16 points of DR bypass. Together with Scale Breaker that's -22 DR for the dragon. Ouch! :D 

• AndreaColombo likes this

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5299 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
^ add in a Sundering Blow for another -8 and I think the dragon's left with about 5 DR or the like.

LoP (in a WC3 dwarven voice): "It's aggro time!"

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13376 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Sundering Blow is nice - but I would like it if it would cause lower DR bypass (5 or so) and had a longer duration instead (maybe 15 sec?). The short duration of 8 sec only makes it interesting for fast hitting fighters. Ok, LoP is fast - but we have to think of others, too. :) 

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5299 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Consider that a Fighter with a higher INT would already extend its duration and -8 DR is plenty good in most scenarios. It is true that most people here consider INT a blasphemy on Fighters but it is actually not that bad; I guess this went into it when they decided on the effect's duration :)

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13376 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm just thinking:  Is it melee only?

Edit: yes it is. :(

Would have been nice to open the fight from stealth with a sundering shot and then still have two sunderung blows left.

Maybe you could do that with very high stealth?

Edited by Boeroer, 19 November 2015 - 04:38 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users