[CLASS BUILD] Lady of Pain - High-speed, heavy-armored DPS Fighter

Why not Outlander's Frenzy? I mean Hulk is really angry most of the time. And your Sanguine Plate is gone...

Indeed, Outlander's Frenzy would be very thematically appropriate. However, the reason I discarded it is twofold:

• The bonuses from Frenzy don't stack with Champion's Boon and Deleterious Alacrity of Motion, which I tend to (ab)use in almost every fight from the moment I get access to them. With Champion's Boon your MIG flies to 45, which is pretty insane. That said, it is also true that Outlander's Frenzy can be had much earlier than either CB or DAOM, and it can be liberally used in thrash-mob fights since it's per encounter. Unfortunately...
  • ... I find its effects to be rather lackluster. +2 MIG / +2 CON isn't going to make much of a difference, and +20% attack speed is OK but unimpressive. Personally, I would rather pick a different talent.

I think charge will fit better than sundering blow too.

Hulk, charge !

When I had to choose between the two, I thought long and hard as both were a good fit. Ultimately I thought, if there's one guy whose blows tear stuff asunder, that would be Hulk. It makes sense, however, to indicate Charge as a viable alternative—and so I will :)

A fun fact I forgot to mention about the 0-recovery variant is that if you reach 0 recovery and have a DEX score of 22, you're going to land an attack every 25 / 30 = 0.84 seconds (or thereabouts) with a weapon whose Interrupt lasts 0.75 seconds. Suffice to hit once and your target will be locked in a state of permanent interruption ... and if you happened to miss (which won't happen anyway) and the enemy hit you, it would go retaliation - interruption - here comes another estoc swing.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Why not Outlander's Frenzy? I mean Hulk is really angry most of the time. And your Sanguine Plate is gone...

Indeed, Outlander's Frenzy would be very thematically appropriate. However, the reason I discarded it is twofold:

• The bonuses from Frenzy don't stack with Champion's Boon and Deleterious Alacrity of Motion, which I tend to (ab)use in almost every fight from the moment I get access to them. With Champion's Boon your MIG flies to 45, which is pretty insane. That said, it is also true that Outlander's Frenzy can be had much earlier than either CB or DAOM, and it can be liberally used in thrash-mob fights since it's per encounter. Unfortunately...
  • ... I find its effects to be rather lackluster. +2 MIG / +2 CON isn't going to make much of a difference, and +20% attack speed is OK but unimpressive. Personally, I would rather pick a different talent.

I think charge will fit better than sundering blow too.

Hulk, charge !

When I had to choose between the two, I thought long and hard as both were a good fit. Ultimately I thought, if there's one guy whose blows tear stuff asunder, that would be Hulk. It makes sense, however, to indicate Charge as a viable alternative—and so I will :)

A fun fact I forgot to mention about the 0-recovery variant is that if you reach 0 recovery and have a DEX score of 22, you're going to land an attack every 25 / 30 = 0.84 seconds (or thereabouts) with a weapon whose Interrupt lasts 0.75 seconds. Suffice to hit once and your target will be locked in a state of permanent interruption ... and if you happened to miss (which won't happen anyway) and the enemy hit you, it would go retaliation - interruption - here comes another estoc swing.

Do you feel like the interrupt on this one target would be worth the dex investment? You'd most likely be starting with a dex of 17 to make it happen. I feel like spread some stats into int or con could be a better alternative. Thoughts?

Do you feel like the interrupt on this one target would be worth the dex investment? You'd most likely be starting with a dex of 17 to make it happen. I feel like spread some stats into int or con could be a better alternative. Thoughts?

It's entirely dependent on your preferences and habitual play style.

I value speed above most things and I would choose DEX over RES or CON any time; I want my characters to be fast at everything, not just in-between attacks.

I do not, however, put a disproportionate deal of value in the Interrupt mechanic. It is nice—and this build does it well—but it is not something I would pump a stat exclusively for. If you have no interest in speeding up your other actions on the 0-recovery variant, it is probably worth redistributing those points to a stat that serves your play style better (INT would be my choice, but you may prefer to remove the penalty to RES and CON instead; or pump one of the two.)

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I was considering a human variant just to spice it up a bit. I think Estocs look weird on an Aumaua too for some reason. Thinking...

M-20

C-10

D-13

P-15

I-13

R-7

I think this will offer a nice balance. I still wanted to keep dex decent for all actions, but the increase in Int is very useful imo, and I like the idea of having a bit more con, since you do take some nasty hits sometimes on this guy with the low Res.

• Like 1

Looks good, although at this point I would go DEX 10 / INT 16.

Because Pillars is a game where attribute scores matter a lot less than in IE games, you need to really pump an attribute for it to make a difference. DEX 13 isn't going to make your action speed noticeably faster, and INT 13 won't likely impact your ability duration appreciably; rather go with 16 INT plus Casità Casserole to get some serious boost to durations even before getting +INT items ;)

On an unrelated note, those interested in the Lord of the Crits variant of this build should mind that the Annihilation weapon enchant is currently bugged and does nothing instead of boosting crit damage by 50%. Should be fixed (hopefully) in 3.02.

• Like 1

On an unrelated note, those interested in the Lord of the Crits variant of this build should mind that the Annihilation weapon enchant is currently bugged and does nothing instead of boosting crit damage by 50%. Should be fixed (hopefully) in 3.02.

Wait - you mean a crit barb with Heart of Fury lets foes' chunks fly even farther in 3.02? :dancing:  

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Hello guys!

I am playing a variation of LoP build, but with human(mostly of rp reasons). Already finished game once with this character and tried all different weapons through the game(at least i hope so), but nothings seems to compare with Tidefall on low INT characher. I'm talking about 2h's only. My character currently at level 14 and doing ~100 non crits without pries buffs, potions ... etc. As far as i understand main advantage comes from dot damage who's first tick(that shows simultaneosly with weapon hit) are always 20 more or less with main hit ~70. Yes, i can't achieve zero recovery, but damn! the damage is to high compared to BoTP. So do you have similar expirience or am i missing something?

P.S. Playing with low INT limits your abilities potential, but fighter don't have many good ones who's benefits from high INT.

• Like 1

Hi orillah,

glad you're enjoying the build :)

DPS calculation in this game is tricky business, as so many things come into it (attack speed, damage per swing, DR bypass, enemy's DR, accuracy vs. deflection, lashes, other abilities, ...) and there's a point past which making comparisons becomes very hard. This is one of those cases, as we're way past the point where differences ... well, make a difference. I mean, reaching 0 recovery while packing damage bonuses looks and feels cool, but you can easily beat the game with a lot less firepower—and this gives you ample room to tailor equipment choices to your preferences and play style.

Tidefall is (has always been) an impressively good weapon and is definitely still a good choice for this build, even though I didn't personally go for it.

Running a quick DPS comparison for the sake of argument:

• Attack speed at 24 frames for both weapons; recovery is 0 for the BotEP, (135% - 72.5% = 62.5% * 50 = 31 / (1.36)) = 23 frames for Tidefall. Both have a 4-frame animation delay, so total attack time is 28 frames for BotEP, 51 frames for Tidefall.
  • Both can be enchanted with an elemental lash, which adds +25% of the total damage against 25% of the relevant elemental DR (but with Vulnerable Attack, both have a higher DR bypass than 25% of the target DR we're using in this example.)
  • Average DR against Pierce is 9.5; against Slash/Crush is 8 (source) so I'll use these values. Both weapons using Vulnerable Attack.
  • Tidefall has the Raw DoT lash as well, which I'll try to take into account.
  • Average damage per swing when fully buffed (MIG 37) should be as follows:

Min = 14 * (1 + 0.81 + 0.15 + 0.15 + 0.1 + 0.2 + 0.45) = 40

Max = 20 * (1 + 0.81 + 0.15 + 0.15 + 0.1 + 0.2 + 0.45) = 57

(40 + 57) / 2 = 48.5

DPS calculation assuming Accuracy = Deflection and all hits (no misses, grazes, or crits):

BotEP (10 DR Bypass)

1 attack every (28 / 30) = 0.93 seconds

Swings in 10 seconds = 10.71 (let's round it down to 10 for the sake of simplicity)

Pierce damage = 48.5 - (9.5 - 10) = 48.5

Lash damage = 48.5 * 25% = 12.1

Total = 48.5 + 12.1 = 60.6 damage per swing

DPS = 60.6 * 10 = 606

Tidefall (5 DR Bypass)

1 attack every (51 / 30) = 1.7 seconds

Swings in 10 seconds = 5.8 (let's round it up to 6 for the sake of simplicity)

Slash/Crush damage = 48.5 - (8 - 5) = 45.5

Lash damage = 45.5 * 25% = 11.4

Total = 45.5 + 11.4 = 56.9 damage per swing

DPS = 56.9 * 6 = 341.4 + Raw lash

Raw damage = 11.4 over 5 seconds

This is harder to calculate, but over 10 seconds you should be able to put through 4 full Raw lashes and two partial ones (to simplify, I'll count the latter two as 1 full Raw lash). That's 57 damage.

DPS = 341.4 + 57 = 398.4

BotEP is the clear winner, but Tidefall also heals you by 20% of the damage you deal which is pretty neat.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 2

Thank you for your detailed response AndreaColombo!

Now i think i see where my expirience become different from "common math" =).

First, i can't enchant Blade of the Endless Path with any lashes(its already have 11 points reserved, and i hope to apply legendary one  -  who's leave me with 13 of 14).

Second, and maybe its a bug, but Tidefall raw dot damage far more better in real fight than in tooltip. From one hit its do near 40 damage(main one was near 60) to target with two ticks(Interesting, but in combat log its only say it would be 20 for 4 seconds) and most of the time second one come simultaneosly with your next attack. So you on dumped INT max MIG character you can increase dot damage to be two times stronger than lash one! But if you increase your INT Dot damage become lesser, or maybe its more correct to say - normal, so i assume it's can be a bug( I think i saw a thread on this forum discussing this exact problem).

• Like 1

^ Watch out because there's a fair chance you won't be able to make BotEP Legendary. You need to have a full 8 "anvil points" available for it even if you're upgrading from a lesser quality enchantment (basically, the 6 points you're "freeing up" by overwriting Superb don't really count as "free" before you overwrite.)

That said, an elemental lash is going to add quite a bit more DPS to the blade compared to an upgrade to Legendary (that's 25% of the total damage vs. 10% additive extra damage.)

I'll do some tests on Tidefall when time allows and report any bugs to the tech forums if I find any (Raw damage being higher than the tooltip says is definitely issue, whether with the damage itself or with the tooltip requiring an update.)

(basically, the 6 points you're "freeing up" by overwriting Superb don't really count as "free" before you overwrite.)

I really wish they'd fix that.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

(basically, the 6 points you're "freeing up" by overwriting Superb don't really count as "free" before you overwrite.)

I really wish they'd fix that.

Not a fix, but could you replace the superb enchantment with a fine enchantment first, or will the game not allow you to downgrade?

^ tested with FreeRecipesToggle?

Oh, thank you, it would definitely save me some time! But no, i use more "direct" approach and give myself ingridients via additem command =).

I was asking because FreeRecipesToggle would always let you enchant even if requirements were not met and/or the engine wouldn't normally allow it.

So you're saying if you have the ingredients, you can actually upgrade BotEP to Legendary?

Interesting ... I wonder if the same is true of a Sanguine Plate made Superb, for example. Would be quite good, 'cause otherwise aiming for the Legendary enchant would require planning for it since the beginning and going through most of the game without enchanting your gear until you get the ingredients you need.

He? I never experienced such a problem. If I only have 2 points left and want to enchant an exceptional item to superb the game will let me. Or what are you guys talking about?

There was a crafting bug that wouldn't let people do that before. But I think that was really old. Pre 2.0 patch days even. Can't remember exactly what patch they addressed crafting bonus problems on.

Indeed. At a certain point I stopped trying so I never noticed it got fixed. Good to know :)

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1

WOw this is amazing work! thanks for coming to my post and guiding me here. Took me a while to find the 3.0 build but well worth it dancing.gif​ .

Using this build is there anything or anybody specific or any complementing talents I need from my companions? not sure I saw anything on that in this post?

Not really; I like to bring a Priest along for buffing her into the stratosphere, but even that is not strictly necessary. Currently I'm running a party with Edér, Kana, Durance, Aloth, and Grieving Mother and it works quite well.