Total War: Warhammer

I'm going to order the CE for dat drinking horn. 

Edit - it was cheaper than what I dropped on my PoE collector's edition - but look at the merch! Watch and learn, Obsidian.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

You know those American fraternities we see depicted in the movies, the ones using the Greek alphabet and whatnot, one always thinks of the scenes where they're beating new members buttocks, and the beaten are thanking them and asking for another blow. I've always thought that is almost a perfect recreation of the relationship between Games Workshop and her customers.

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Chaos a pre-order incentive?  What the ****?  Chaos is a critical part of the setting.  Any version of this game that does not include chaos is flat out incomplete.  This is really low, even for SEGA, they just keep finding ways to become an even scummier company.

There isn't anymore critical parts of the setting as GW destroyed WHFB universe and created new setting Warhammer Age of Sigmar. So CA and SEGA can about do really anything for the setting and still they will not land as low as GW did with their idea of modernizing one of the most iconic fantasy settings in the world. But to be fair that seems to be the trend with many of the companies that own rights to some of those iconic fantasy and scifi worlds.

On positive side of things its now much more care free to leave those old settings behind and find new setting with better games, as you need anyway learn new setting so its better to learn one that actually has games with rules that I like.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I skimmed through but I didn't notice if someone had mentioned, but Warhammer is, more than even DnD and some of the other games butchered into real time, a turn based game.  The total war franchise is rts, right?  Are there any new Turn Based FB or 40k games coming out.  heh I still have the basic boxed sets of both in my closet gathering dust with about 15k cards of various games and boxed computer games I own on steam and never opened.  :Cant's eyeing his unopened box of Pillars of Eternity icon:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I skimmed through but I didn't notice if someone had mentioned, but Warhammer is, more than even DnD and some of the other games butchered into real time, a turn based game. The total war franchise is rts, right? Are there any new Turn Based FB or 40k games coming out. heh I still have the basic boxed sets of both in my closet gathering dust with about 15k cards of various games and boxed computer games I own on steam and never opened. :Cant's eyeing his unopened box of Pillars of Eternity icon:

To be precise; the Total War series is a turn based strategy + real time tactical hybrid game.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Looks all right, but seeing this really makes me sad they've ditched modding, a Third Age mod would be pretty rad with some of these new additions - like heroes and spells.

When did that happen? :(

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Looks all right, but seeing this really makes me sad they've ditched modding, a Third Age mod would be pretty rad with some of these new additions - like heroes and spells.

When did that happen? :(

They stated repeatedly since Empire Total war that the engine is "too complex" to add proper modding tools, which is why we haven't seen any mods that truly change the game since Medieval 2, beyond some altered units/buildings and slightly better AI.

Fortune favors the bald.

I'm not buying it either. Modding tools don't need to be "click & done" content created and release-ready. Interested people will figure out how to use the tools, there is no need for hand holding. If the necessarily files are open and possible to edit, it's already good enough. That's how we did it 10 years ago, that's how we could still do it today... if at least we had basic tools and file access.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Nah, it's their deal with GW... they can't give out modding tools for this IP, but they said while there will be no official support they will not be making life hard for it.

Their regular next historical TW will have modding tools and mod support.

Edited by Darkpriest

The next historical TW? not sure, they did not go into the details, but they re-assured that it will have at least the same modding support as the last two titles, i.e. Rome2 and Attila. Not sure how far it can go, but some mods, like DEI for Rome 2 were pretty good.

But as for Warhammer, well... you will have to create everything on your own. Shame for such a restriction from GW, but I guess people are familiar with the engine and file fomrats etc. long enough to do stuff on their own.

Actual tools and not just the Assembly Kit?

^ Yeah, this is the point. You can do some stuff with the Assembly Kit, but as far as my knowledge goes, you are still limited to the existing worldmaps. If I remember correct, 3ds max plugins were released for Shogun and people expected the same to happen with Rome 2 after all the DLCs are through... it has yet to happen and it probably won't happen at all.

No idea how modding is with Attila (probably the same as Rome 2, because the games look nearly identical). I've been so disappointed with the little stuff they did for Rome 2 (mostly shovelware DLCs), that I still haven't touched that game. Maybe I'll buy it when it costs like 5€ in a sale... or maybe not even then. This thing should have been a big expansion for Rome 2, really.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Actual tools and not just the Assembly Kit?

^ Yeah, this is the point. You can do some stuff with the Assembly Kit, but as far as my knowledge goes, you are still limited to the existing worldmaps. If I remember correct, 3ds max plugins were released for Shogun and people expected the same to happen with Rome 2 after all the DLCs are through... it has yet to happen and it probably won't happen at all.

No idea how modding is with Attila (probably the same as Rome 2, because the games look nearly identical). I've been so disappointed with the little stuff they did for Rome 2 (mostly shovelware DLCs), that I still haven't touched that game. Maybe I'll buy it when it costs like 5€ in a sale... or maybe not even then. This thing should have been a big expansion for Rome 2, really.

The only thing you can mod in the current engine is data entries, such as buildings bonuses, general traits, unit range, damage etc - and limited 3d modelling, but mostly 'switching' existing armour and unit models around. The most comprehensive mod (Divide et Imperi) is basically new units with existing skins rearrenged + new traits and building bonuses.

Fortune favors the bald.

• 3 months later...

i would love it to get it day one if its not CA and their DLC for everyting policy :(

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I cant wait to play it and i am sure there will be blood and gore dlc, kislev dlc, brettonia dlc and border prices dlc. Then we will get part 2 expanding the map with the sea and elves plus naval combat +some dlcs and then last part expandig to the whole warhammer world with addeing the lasy playable races like tomb kings, araby etc

I cant wait to play it and i am sure there will be blood and gore dlc, kislev dlc, brettonia dlc and border prices dlc. Then we will get part 2 expanding the map with the sea and elves plus naval combat +some dlcs and then last part expandig to the whole warhammer world with addeing the lasy playable races like tomb kings, araby etc

I want my Lizardmans!

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"