Total War: Warhammer

Some really nice art assets:

This is just getting me crave more for Obsidian made RPG on this license... I mean c'mon - TB/RTT game can evoke such a climate, imagine if you'd have storyline and characters to back that up...

HINT to Obs.: Get your hands on this license!

Edited by Darkpriest
  • Like 2

I'm probably not thinking necessarily as quickly as I should, but I can't image a real Warhammer game that isn't turn based. Sadly, I think the jerks at Obsidian have turned their backs on turn based, which is really sad. The whole idea of Warhammer is tactical turn based combat.

So shines the name so shines the name of Roger Young!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MEJM0cboDg

I'm probably not thinking necessarily as quickly as I should, but I can't image a real Warhammer game that isn't turn based. Sadly, I think the jerks at Obsidian have turned their backs on turn based, which is really sad. The whole idea of Warhammer is tactical turn based combat.

At this point it makes no difference to me, be it turn-based or RTWP; just enough with RTS already.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Dark Omen

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Dark Omen

Thanks for the heads up! It's an oldie, but I'll take a gander at GoG to see if they've got it.

Damn, it's real time. Sigh Aw well, can't win 'em all.

Edited by Eumaios

Thanks for the heads up! It's an oldie, but I'll take a gander at GoG to see if they've got it.

Damn, it's real time. Sigh Aw well, can't win 'em all.

Ahh, I read it as if you wanted an example of a realtime tactical WH game.

I'm a big fan of turnbased games myself, I did read an interview where Obsidian had pitched a Warhammer 40K Inquisitor game, I was sort of glad that it didn't come to be, I'd have been dissapointed that it wasn't based on Dark Heresy instead.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-12-obsidians-pitch-drawer-snow-white-dwarves-prey-warhammer-40k-star-wars

The Warhammer 40,000 pitch, meanwhile, was ill-fated from the start, what with THQ owning the licence at the time, and THQ being down the swanny (THQ would go bankrupt in December 2012). But Obsidian remembers it fondly. "That was a cool pitch," Urquhart says - and now Slitherine owns the Warhammer 40K IP who knows?

"The Warhammer 40K pitch is 28 pages - I just looked at it a little while ago," Chris Parker says while Urquhart, in perfect synchronisation, finds and opens the pitch on his computer and scrolls through it. It's very decorative and detailed but I don't catch any detail as he whizzes through.

"We wrote a small novel about how awesome this game would be," Parker says. "The idea was: there's a pen and paper off-shoot of 40K about the Inquisition, and it's more individual character-based and you travel around different planets." He's referring to Inquisitor, the 2001 Warhammer 40K spin-off focused on a small group of characters: a shadowy Inquisitor with a couple of henchmen, and carte blanche to root out evil in the world (Games Workshop doesn't support Inquisitor any more but rulebooks are available online). A perfect set-up for an Obsidian RPG if ever I heard one. "We built this role-playing game about you being this new Inquisitor and having these crazy resources and going to all these planets," Parker says, "and there's nothing that's not at war in Warhammer 40K."

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

The guys who made Mordenheim are currently working on a similar videogame of Necromunda, arguably the best GW game ever. I hope they include 'It came from the Sump' as one of the missions, either in the campaign or a scenario (From what I remember it was basically John Carpenter's 'The Thing' as a turn-based stratergy).

I just got back into my Mordheim warband. I'm playing mercenaries, but I see at least one new faction. Some sort of ghastly undead assortment. Put the hammer down the redeaded freaks a couple times now. I'd like to be able to play an elvish warband. I love the sisters of Sigmar. I've had a lot of fun with the sniper set merc faction. I haven't warmed as much to the witch hunting bunch and I have no use for chaos or vermin... other than target practice. I've never played Necromunda, either on board or on computer, but I'd be interested in it. The Mordheim game is absolutely brilliant.

just downloading

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I remember Feargus saying that he isn't that interested in a CRPG based on Warhammer (unfortunately). It was during the closing stream of the Deadfire Fig, he was answering questions and I proposed Pillars of Warhammer, I don't exactly recall Feargus answer, and I don't think they uploaded the Stream from the Fig ending Party, but I think he conveyed the general meaning of "Warhammer is oversaturated".

I would provide link to video and timestamp but, like I said, I can't find any recording/upload of the stream.

Edited by Osvir

Warhammer 2 out today! Anyone want to try out co-op/Head-to-Head megacampaign later? :D

You should try organising an Obsidian Warhammer TW league. We did it with Blood Bowl, it was a lot of fun especially if you keep people updated about how it's going on the forum.

I remember Feargus saying that he isn't that interested in a CRPG based on Warhammer (unfortunately). It was during the closing stream of the Deadfire Fig, he was answering questions and I proposed Pillars of Warhammer, I don't exactly recall Feargus answer, and I don't think they uploaded the Stream from the Fig ending Party, but I think he conveyed the general meaning of "Warhammer is oversaturated".

I would provide link to video and timestamp but, like I said, I can't find any recording/upload of the stream.

Hard to tell. There is Total War, and Mordheim and Vermite... but in the same time no crpg.

It is kinda like pleanty of modern shooters, but not so many moder crpg.

Also: we have so many Star Wars games, long time ago in galaxy far, far away.

But im fine with whatever Obsidian choose. Especially if it will be another take on world of darness style. Lol.

Well reading Warhammer books.... obsidian is awesome when it comes to writing, but Warhammer fun isn't in it's story though. Not saying Warhammer writing is bad, it just seems obsidian is more used to deeper waters whereas Warhammer seems more about the game and playing. If that makes any sense.

Hard to tell. There is Total War, and Mordheim and Vermite... but in the same time no crpg.

It is kinda like pleanty of modern shooters, but not so many moder crpg.

Also: we have so many Star Wars games, long time ago in galaxy far, far away.

But im fine with whatever Obsidian choose. Especially if it will be another take on world of darness style. Lol.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Warhammer universe and I believe Obsidian would make a great cRPG out of it as well, if it was a Party based RTwP type game (Or First Person Elder Scrolls/Fallout-esque RP adventure).

I was just recalling what Feargus was talking about. It might've had something to do with R&D too (lots of research and development, time sinks = money sinks), and that Obsidian is still relatively small(?). I just don't remember, I just remember he responded to "Pillars of Warhammer" and he wasn't too optimistic or positive about it :p

Warhammer 2 out today! Anyone want to try out co-op/Head-to-Head megacampaign later? :D

You should try organising an Obsidian Warhammer TW league. We did it with Blood Bowl, it was a lot of fun especially if you keep people updated about how it's going on the forum.

Eeeeh :/ I dunno. I'm not very good, I mostly enjoy the campaign mode :)

You can also only play the new races currently in Custom Battle. Anyone know if that will change in the future? (Dwarves vs Skaven, for instance)

Maybe it'll be a better time to play a tournament when CA have "merged" the games?

Edited by Osvir

I wish i didn't have 4y gaming laptop - got some other priorities than tossing 2k USD for a good rig - otherwise i'd gladly join in either co-op or head to head campaign ;)

so far at turn 120, doing 4th ritual, having whole ulthuan + southern lustria and turtle islands + allianca with the only other HE faction - colonists from the fortress south of southlands

now preparing for defense of ulthuan and then maybe strike at Naggarond - or just holding seas until my last ritual

I just hope I will not have to buy Blood and Gore DLC AGAIN

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

there is already thread for total war: warhammer...