For Baldur's Gate Fans: New Expansion

Omnicron

The UI changes are to support modding and tablet touch screens. I don't think anyone disputes that the old interface looked prettier in low res.

Edited by Fardragon

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

They looked decent in high resolution, too (although, personally, I think the mod 1pp's revamp of them looked best): the biggest problem is that you have so much room at the bottom with so few buttons (F1-F12, so only twelve): going through your spellbook when you're epic-leveled was supremely annoying because of it. Did they ever change that in in the BG2:EE (because I'm pretty sure, from what I recall of what I played of it, they didn't for the BG1:EE)?

(edit): Oh, also, less weapon sets (and quickspells) for certain classes and mutli/dual-classes because they don't have any room in the 12 button set. That was annoying, too.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I personally prefer the EE UI compared to the original. I don't know if people critizing it have actually tried the current version? It was pretty much completely re-done in one of the BGEE patches. Seems like they are doing some major changes to it again with SoD.

I'm more concerned about personally paying for the games and then trying to enjoy them myself more than I am with imagining other people that I don't know doing so, really...but I guess we all have different ways to personally measure a game's success, I suppose...

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I really don't care what people think it is better UI, the EE version are trying to make the game more approachable to modern audience and that I like. I want more younger people to love BG games as much as I do.

Ughhh... why do they think that making things "less intimidating", splitting everything into tiny bits that are easy to digest, putting important stuff in CAPITAL LETTERS and BIG NUMBERS etc will make the game more appealing to newcomers?

I had zero prior D&D knowledge when I played IWD, which was my first IE game. I loved the beautiful landscapes, the music, and yes, the combat. By the time I got to Dragon's Eye I realized I needed to RTFM to understand what THAC0 meant, how primary stats affected secondary stats, and I had to read item and spell descriptions to be able to make informed tactical decisions (which didn't work out so well back then, heh). I consider that learning process an essential part of my enjoyment of the game. Is it too much to ask that people spend a few minutes reading so they can understand what's going on instead of having everything sorted out for them with *pretty colors*?

I mean, it's not like the IE UI is complicated. Victoria 2 is complicated, BGEE is simple and to the point. D&D 2e isn't exactly rocket science and they already have "story mode" for people who DGAF about gameplay. Why bother?

/old geezer -_-

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

"I want more younger people to love BG games as much as I do."

if you have to change something for someone to like it then it's not really the thing you liked that they actually like.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I wouldn't say that's completely true...there's a barrier of entry on all things, regardless of media. Some people simply won't bother with non-HD movies anymore, for example: they might actually love the movie in question if they watched it regardless of quality, but until it's at least 720p, they won't bother.

"I want more younger people to love BG games as much as I do."

if you have to change something for someone to like it then it's not really the thing you liked that they actually like.

I certainly didn't like it because of its average UI and obtuse mechanics. EE version keep everything behind the scenes as it is, they only make the presentation easier to understand for new players.

I would have gone even more radical. I would have turned all numbers into positive ones. THACO would be replaced by attack bonus so instead of 10 THACO you would have +10 attack bonus and instead of -2 THACO you would have +22 attack bonus. Same with saves and armor class.

Edited by archangel979

Huh, BG1EE & 2EE are only $9.99 each on the iOS app store. For some reason I thought they were more expensive. I already own the entire saga on GoG but I guess Ill pick up the EE's for convenience sake. I wont replay either but I do want to play this expansion. Sweet sweet 2E, you've been gone for far too long.

Huh, BG1EE & 2EE are only $9.99 each on the iOS app store. For some reason I thought they were more expensive. I already own the entire saga on GoG but I guess Ill pick up the EE's for convenience sake. I wont replay either but I do want to play this expansion. Sweet sweet 2E, you've been gone for far too long.

That's for mobile devices. The masterrace versions are $19.99 each. I'd wait for either Christmas or the inevitable pre-SoD sale.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

So, BD continues to double speak about length. They claim the expansion is 25ish hours long yet also claim that it is longer than  TOTSC and TOB combined.

\

\YOU CAN'T CLAIM BOTH OF THOSE YOUR TOOLBAGS!!!

So, BD continues to double speak about length. They claim the expansion is 25ish hours long yet also claim that it is longer than  TOTSC and TOB combined.

\

They said 25h on average, but if you try to clear everything and don't rush it will be much longer.

That's for mobile devices. The masterrace versions are $19.99 each. I'd wait for either Christmas or the inevitable pre-SoD sale.

The PC version has already been on sale for half price (or less) several times.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

\

I think they said the WORD COUNT was longer.

I suspect there is a lot of NPC companion dialogue, which wouldn't really contribute to the completion time.

I also suspect that if you looked at the PoE word count it would have more than BG1+TotSC+ToB.

Oster also said he was ~30h in and by his estimate roughly only 2/3 through. That would make it, what, 45 hours long?

They also mentioned the specific number of new areas created, but I can't remember what it was. TotSC and ToB didn't really have that many new areas IIRC.

So, they are just throwing random number sout and hoping something sticks. LMAO

TOB itself was upwards of 40 hours. There is a reason why it's basically referred to as BG3 since it is a large expansion that continues to story.

\No way is this new one bigger than TOB let alone both it and TOSC.

Only imbeciles believe such marketing lies.

Plus, it's ahrd to take someone seriously who bashes the very thing he is using to make his games.

L0L BUY THIS GAME GAME BECAUSE IT IS BG AND IE BUT GUESS WHAT BG AND IE SUCK AND THIS IS BETTER LOLOLLOLOL IF YOU HATE THIS YOU AREN'T A BG FAN LOLOL!

What a punk.

\Too bad too as I was kinda intrigued when it was first announced but  the hype is ruining it. :(

Edited by Volourn
  • Like 3

Nah. I use my keyboard to fight not my fists except in self defense.

I use mty ikdeyboard and my fists together. Thgis mis hard.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The PC version has already been on sale for half price (or less) several times.

IIRC the mobile EEs also have $9.99 dlc for them which the PC version gets for free, which explains the price disparity.

Which is unfortunate for me, since I want to play them on PC but want absolutely nothing to do with the character DLC...them making that optional on PC would've gone a long ways to increase my goodwill towards them, but what's done is done. :p

Edited by Bartimaeus

Right forum. I didn't know and I wouldn't have found it out (I'm pretty shure, that is grammatically wrong) on my own.

For the record, that's actually grammatically correct (but "sure" is spelled without an "h".)

Id be interested to hear your actual opinion on this Andrea, as I noticed you liking alot of the negative comments targeted at the games (and im sure you used to be a big supporter of beamdog?).  While I personnally found some stuff in the EE's lacking I generally thought the developers hearts were in the right place (though that alone doesnt make a great game, I know), and always wanted to see some proper original content from them other than what they shipped with the EEs.

I guess up till now I havent seen enough from them to make a decision to support the company or not, though I do think they did a good job with IWDEE.  However, the quality of siege of dragonspear will be make or break for me.  I will be paying specific attenion to the writiing and how the story plays out.  If they blow this i'll likely be done with the company.