Only the Nexus. There's not really any modding going on for PoE, except in a very limited (although integral) capacity.

And mods aren't going to take off like a bat out of hell. The game's been out for months, and modding isn't going to take off unless there's some significant changes in terms of what can be done and how it's done.

t50aJUd.jpg

To expand on what Luckman said, mods aren't flying out of the interweb's collective arse because the game is just simple remarkably unfriendly to mods, and that's never going to change unless/until tons of people spend a ****load of money buying the stupid ****ing unity and whatever other ****ing third party program licences necessary to mod it. Hint: that'll be never.

To expand on what Luckman said, mods aren't flying out of the interweb's collective arse because the game is just simple remarkably unfriendly to mods, and that's never going to change unless/until tons of people spend a ****load of money buying the stupid ****ing unity and whatever other ****ing third party program licences necessary to mod it. Hint: that'll be never.

I would be loathe to suggest it, but I doubt that's a major hurdle, what-with piracy and whatnot. I think it mostly just boils down to the first part, that it's remarkably unfriendly to work with.

Remember nice little override folders and endless tables that could be tweaked? I miss those days.

Even if the game was easier to work with, I have no idea how I'd get two mods to work together, with so many of the relevant files being locked up in a single .dll.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

I've been waiting for a modding subforum, before getting deeper into modding. I think a lot of potential modders might be waiting for a unity 5 upgrade. Also some parts of this game are pretty easy to mod, while some parts are really hard. I think with enough time and sequels/ expansion from obsidian, modders will eventually solve all the big modding problems.

I find it ridiculous that there STILL isn't a dedicated modding subforum on these boards.

Seriously, why hasn't it been done yet??

This is the best place to centralize modding information. Unfortunately all previous modding threads were created in the Backer Beta section, and are now locked...

• Like 1

I find it ridiculous that there STILL isn't a dedicated modding subforum on these boards.

Seriously, why hasn't it been done yet??

This is the best place to centralize modding information. Unfortunately all previous modding threads were created in the Backer Beta section, and are now locked...

I think it's the belief that it'll be under-utilized. I think PoE has lost much of the momentum it had in terms of modding potential, and I question the use of a modding sub-forum.

However, at the same time, I do agree - even if it would be under-utilized, there's no real harm in it, and if there's going to be any chance for a base to build on, there's no better place to start than here.

t50aJUd.jpg

There is strength in numbers and it gives the community a center for links to what is available, a place to post questions and get help.  There are threads around that mention modding and a sub-forum would help to direct them to a place dedicated to the subject.  

It can't hurt and maybe it will help.

• Like 1

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Guest FlorianGh

they should upgrade to unity 5 and release the editor. That way people will play custom campaigns. The game lost a lot of people playing it on steam. Look at Fallout : New Vegas to see how great the modding community is. Modding the game would only make profit and more fans for Obsidian.  I would also love a random encounter mode. 

Edited by FlorianGh

they should upgrade to unity 5 and release the editor. That way people will play custom campaigns. The game lost a lot of people playing it on steam. Look at Fallout : New Vegas to see how great the modding community is. Modding the game would only make profit and more fans for Obsidian.  

How would you even *begin* to create custom *campaigns*? Like what?

t50aJUd.jpg

If people were able to create maps it might be possible.  A campaign starts with a quest and just adds those.  So if a quest can be crated I think a campaign could be crated.  We need to remember that mods are installed at the players own risk.  

nakia_banner.jpg

If people were able to create maps it might be possible.  A campaign starts with a quest and just adds those.  So if a quest can be crated I think a campaign could be crated.  We need to remember that mods are installed at the players own risk.  

Thing is, of course, that you can't "create maps", and to release "the editor" (suggesting that they even have an editor) wouldn't do anything to fix that. I'm all for mod support and I'd love to take a crack at certain things, but custom campaigns ain't gonna happen. People rarely even make custom campaigns when the tools are there, in systems where it's possible (Oblivion/Skyrim, FO3/FONV, D:OS, etc).

t50aJUd.jpg

True, Luckmann, but if we don't show an interest and do some asking Obsidian will just ignore the possibility.  They are under no obligation to help us do some modding but in the long run they will benefit from it.

Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim are constantly rejuvenated by some awesome mods.  The city of Kvatch in Oblivion has three different mods that I have played which have rebuilt the city and have quite a few quests included.  There are other quests mods some short and some lengthy.    It isn't easy and it takes talent and dedication.

nakia_banner.jpg

Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim are constantly rejuvenated by some awesome mods.  The city of Kvatch in Oblivion has three different mods that I have played which have rebuilt the city and have quite a few quests included.  There are other quests mods some short and some lengthy.    It isn't easy and it takes talent and dedication.

But all the Bethesda games came with the tools to do so and the implicit intent of the developers that modders take over. Otherwise they wouldn't have created the toolsets to go ahead and made them available to the general public.

But all the Bethesda games came with the tools to do so and the implicit intent of the developers that modders take over. Otherwise they wouldn't have created the toolsets to go ahead and made them available to the general public.  I think because we have gotten used to many games being modded we are taking them for granted and this IMO bad.  It makes players demanding when they should be appreciative.

Yes, Bethesda did but with Morrowind and Oblivion they also stated that there was no mod  support.  In other words you couldn't go to them for help.  The help that we novices got was from more knowledgeable and talented modders.  They did provide some tutorials for the skyrim mod tool.

I think that because mods are so common gamers are taking them for granted and feel they have a right to them instead of being appreciative.  If I could figure out how to add personnel to the Stronghold I would be under no obligation to share it with others.

nakia_banner.jpg

yeah alot of help was available from other modders in morrowind....dont know so much bout Oblivion....

Edit-

it was brought to my attention by my good buddy hellbishop that back in morrowind's day the devs themselves populated morowind's forum commenting and what not...i forgot bout that,man times sure has changed.

Edited by qwert_44643

Make easy money at home on your own time....I do:

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/swaguser19246113

Please don't take any of the following as official in any way. I'm a volunteer moderator. I don't hang out on the forums a lot to do other than push posts through. I don't really have any pull and I can't speak for Obsidz.

Okay, no need to oversell myself there. On to the topic at hand! Hint: There will be a test to see how many people read the whole post before going postal on me.

Folks say that there isn't any risk involved in a modding forum. From years of being in, on, and around these boards (and specifically BIS to Obsidian) I will say that a dedicated modding forum would undoubtedly draw more people to it. If there's not much room to mod, it could very well be a focal point for disgruntled modders who want to have more from the engine than it can currently provide. From a modder’s perspective, that's okay because one way to get a company to do something is to create a movement and one way to recruit people for a movement is to have a central place to hang out and agitate.

Folks say that the devs wouldn't have to do much. The community would be happy to have a place to discuss things, even if these things are currently difficult and limited such as smaller mods (because as my lucky friend says, entire campaigns just aren't going to happen). However, once folks get a little, they'll want more, and in that case, there will be some resentment that the devs don't spend more time in the forums and give support. The argument will always be, just a *little* more. I personally believe the benefits are overstated because, likewise, the argument will always be that the little more will result in *great* rewards for Obsidian.

You'd also need to make sure that you had moderators who would spend some time in the forum. Not as much long term, but in the early days for sure. After things are established and more or less calm, most forums don't really need a lot of policing in my experience. The most important thing is to make sure new members who are excited about modding don't have hours or even day long periods of waiting to see their posts approved. So, the mod squad has to take a hand.

Now, I'm the lowest man on the totem pole in terms of mods, and none of the moderators, except maybe the scaly one (Fionavar), are officially Obsidz employees.

With all that said, I think we should have a modding sub-forum as a test case. It might fail for any number of reasons and it could be a headache for Obsidian, but I think it could also engender good will and it would allow people to devise ways to nibble at the edges and maybe come up with novel ways to approach modding in a game that is, in itself, unfriendly to modding. I'm surprised that I'm still on the mod squad because, frankly, I figured I'd stop after the game was out a few weeks. I still come here fairly regularly, albeit briefly, and I would be willing to lend a hand in such a forum. However, the real hero is Rosbjerg. You guys who want a modding forum have a friend in him, and he's already stated he's willing to take a direct hand in it.

EDIT: A change from certainty to speculation. One word.

• Like 3

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

our interest is next to zero regarding a mod forum.  oh sure, particular with an obsidian games such as kotor 2, as well as black isle's ps:t, we has made extensive use o' mods, but am pretty much end-user.  such mods, from our pov, spring magical-like into existence and then we chose (or choose not) to risk downloading and installing.  is an admitted myopic and selfish perspective. the thing is, it seems as if the modders is the folks least needing forum space.  any game popular enough will eventual spawn modding sites, and the folks at such sites will then compete and/or cooperate far removed from Gromnir.  the modding guys is, from a technical perspective, quite capable o' running their own sites and fora.  yeah, a quasi-official modding sub-fora located in this place would be ideally located to bring together the mostest number o' potential modders, but am wondering how much o' a need there actual is.

also, and we hesitate to mention this, but mod forum problems is... different.  we saw with the recent pj and sensuki nonsense just how much questionable ethics can result in a spill-over onto multiple boards.  well, as silly as were the codexian brouhaha regarding review ethics, modder ethics issues is more volatile.  once you get modder A accuse modder B o' functional theft, there is no end o' headaches and hurt feelings. we do not have much genuine ethics concerns on a fan forum.  is the inevitable free speech/censorship claims that don't have much bearing on a board like this one.  perhaps less frequent, but more serious is the recognition that not all mods is impartial or objective... or complete sane.  *shrug* you get what you pay for with unpaid moderators.  even so, we don't have "ethics" issues.  

he stole my ______.

is a whole different scenario and one we don't want the moderators to need deal with.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yeah, Grom. To be candid, the authorship/plagiarism angle hadn't occurred to me.

There is a variety of options for the powers that be at Obsidian. They could set up a dedicated sticky thread. They could make a sub-forum. They could encourage a dedicated fan site that they don't officially support but with whom they have a loose and informal partnership. Such a site could perhaps get sneak peaks and other small perks in exchange for which the fans would provide a safe and well maintained modding center. They (Obsidz) could simply put off a decision. They could decide not to do anything (and as an added twist, simply not even address it with anyone).

I think they should give the sub-forum a try, but with the absolute willingness to clean house and close it if the members decide to trash the joint. I truly enjoy and respect the vast majority of members on these boards, even the unruly ones most of the time, but folks have to take responsibility for their conduct on a board where your words are the entirety of your person.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Thing is, of course, that you can't "create maps", and to release "the editor" (suggesting that they even have an editor) wouldn't do anything to fix that. I'm all for mod support and I'd love to take a crack at certain things, but custom campaigns ain't gonna happen. People rarely even make custom campaigns when the tools are there, in systems where it's possible (Oblivion/Skyrim, FO3/FONV, D:OS, etc).

How difficult would it be to make a mod that allows stats from items to stack? More importantly, maybe this could be the first thing you try to "take a crack at"!

I've never been a huge mod user but this is the one thing that drives me nuts about this game. I suppose I played too much diablo II haha..