Help finish my Paladin (tank) Buid on my current PoTD run.

Hey guys my Paladin (Goldpact Knights for the RP) tank is almost at a complete build at level 9.  I could use some help on finishing the build.  The party I am running is: PC Paladin Tank, Chanter Tank, Wizard, Cipher, Melee Stiletto/Pistol opener/Saber Rogue and Priest.  My tanks build so far is:

1.Lay on Hands

2.Weapon and Shield style.

3. Zealous Endurance (debatable as ZF could be better with the group but it definitely hardens my front line with the extra DR and miss to graze).

4. Cautious Attack

5. Liberating Exhortation (I have learned to use this ability properly and it rocks literally saved my dpsers multiple times especially when they had insect swarms and the raw damage druid DoT.  Also has gotten them out of Paralyzes).

6. Superior Deflection

7.Reviving Exhortation

8.  Deep Faith 

9. Righteous Soul.

10. Bears Fort? with a 10 might and con my fort is Okish thanks for Faith and Conviction even with a Coastal Aumau its my lowest defense although Towering Physique helps a lot against prone and stun.  Some spells attack fort.)..Snakes Reflexes? more dodge against Dragon breathes and AOE friendly spells?  Greater Lay on hands? Bond of Duty? Help against Domination but I am running a priest in the party...could be redundant or help cover the entire party if his AOE cant get everyone?

11. Hastening Exhortation?, Reinforcing Exhortation? I feel like are the only real competitors..maybe another Aura like ZF or ZC for flexibility?  I think sworn enemy is a waste on a tank as you don't have the necessary talents to really dps.  The difference is minimal.  Flames of Devotion maybe grabbing a high dps ranged weapon like an Arbalest to start the encounter?  Deprive the Unworthy is only really worth it against one guy.  I don't down enough bad guys as a tank to take Inspiring Triumph.

12.  Same questions as level 10.

Have gun will travel.

Hm I was thinking about FoD. It does decent damage for me especially when I'm using a good weapon like Ravenwing, but it's probably not worth it for you since you are not also picking up a strong (tank) talent tied to it. I think it's only really an obvious choice for a tank if you are a Shieldbearer or Darkozzi.

I am also level 9 on my PoTD play through. I believe I am very close to finishing Act 2, and have just gotten to level 7 in Od Nua. Exciting! No spoilers :D.

Thank you very much for pointing out the obvious use of Liberating Exhortation to get allies out of CC. I've also used it for poisons, insect swarm and other lingering debuffs, but sometimes I don't consider something so obvious as CC. I guess the only thing it can't be used for is if your ally is confused/charmed/dominated.

10) I'd do Bear's Fortitude to bring it in line with your other defenses.

11) I am definitely planning to take Reinforcing Exortation. I haven't used it yet obviously, but I imagine it could be good for two major classes of situations. One is for the very toughest fights, to make your tanks even more invulnerable. The other, probably more common use I can imagine is to cast it on your weaker members when they get targeted (e.g. Shadows, Pwgra summons, ornery kith who decide to break away, and your own positioning blunders). It seems like a much more reliable "oh no" button than stockpiling potions for party members who lack their own defensive spells/abilities.

12) That's tough. I don't have Lay on Hands. How useful do you find it? If you find it very useful, maybe Greater Lay on Hands is worth it for you. With mind control statuses, if there's only one MCer, I CC and focus fire him. If there's more than one, I use the appropriate priest spell.

This brings me back to the thought of FoD. If you decided to take it, you could also take the Goldpact talent to improve it. Maybe this would help vindicate your decision to be a Goldpact Knight :p. You'd be sacrificing Reinforcing Exortation, which you weren't totally sold on anyway, and which you don't really "need," I just imagine it could make certain fights smoother and that's why I plan to take it. As I say, FoD can do decent damage even with a good melee weapon, so you could use it once for your alpha strike and once to finish off an enemy.

Overall, none of the decisions you've laid out will make or break your game, those are just my thoughts on it. You've already taken the "must-have" abilities/talents. Have fun in the rest of your game!

• Like 1

-Ya so looks like level 10 is definitely solved we are on the same page there. I almost always take Bears Fort on tank Paladins cause your lowest defense is usually Fort.  I will probably end up taking Reinforcing Exhortation.  I cant cast it on myself BUT what I can do is have my Chanter tank the big bad guys.  Reinforcing Exhortation will push him past 170 Deflection which makes him unhittable (only grazes) against the toughest enemy in the game.  I have a buffed Int of 20 so it will last a long time.  Long enough for me to set up my burst damage and win.  As for 12 I find Lay on Hands very useful as a self heal or a frontline heal.  The range is low so its hard to heal a backliner with it but I have done it just takes a bit of micro management.

-Also no love for Hastening Exhortation?  I do have a rogue who melees hes my main damage dealer...my wizard is to and he usues the haste spell so I am assuming they do not stack.

-FoD is a tough sell.  My guys dex isn't totally dumped (its an 8 ) hes just to slow to do good damage.  Also he doesn't have Vulnerable attack.  If you want to do good damage in this game you either have to by pass DT or have a big base damage weapon.  I also cant see why I would us anything but a Hatchet (The named one you get after fighting certain animals..) as the point of my tank is to have the highest deflection possible and a hatchet has a very low base damage.  A mace might give him better damage but it wont be noticeable enough imo.  Maybe I am wrong.  I have never taken FoD on a tank Paladin.  Whats FoD hit like on a defensive Paladin with a one hander and very little DR bypass (3 DR from maces I guess but its not enough).

Maybe the Goldpact knight DoT will add some value to the damage....

PS.  I have used Liberating Exhortation for poisons and Raw damage dots from rogues which really wear down the health of your backline if they get hit by a ranged rogue.  It has been GREAT.

So for 12 its between, Greater Lay on Hands, Bond of Duty (it can be ok for some situations and some RP as a Goldpact Knight I guess) or The Dot to FoD if I take FoD...which I don't think I will unless I am wrong completely about it being a crap tank ability!

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

No laughs here bud that's actually a good pic. Many times have I wished I could carry just one more type of scroll or extra potions.

Have gun will travel.

-Ya so looks like level 10 is definitely solved we are on the same page there. I almost always take Bears Fort on tank Paladins cause your lowest defense is usually Fort.  I will probably end up taking Reinforcing Exhortation.  I cant cast it on myself BUT what I can do is have my Chanter tank the big bad guys.  Reinforcing Exhortation will push him past 170 Deflection which makes him unhittable (only grazes) against the toughest enemy in the game.  I have a buffed Int of 20 so it will last a long time.  Long enough for me to set up my burst damage and win.  As for 12 I find Lay on Hands very useful as a self heal or a frontline heal.  The range is low so its hard to heal a backliner with it but I have done it just takes a bit of micro management.

-Also no love for Hastening Exhortation?  I do have a rogue who melees hes my main damage dealer...my wizard is to and he usues the haste spell so I am assuming they do not stack.

-FoD is a tough sell.  My guys dex isn't totally dumped (its an 8 ) hes just to slow to do good damage.  Also he doesn't have Vulnerable attack.  If you want to do good damage in this game you either have to by pass DT or have a big base damage weapon.  I also cant see why I would us anything but a Hatchet (The named one you get after fighting certain animals..) as the point of my tank is to have the highest deflection possible and a hatchet has a very low base damage.  A mace might give him better damage but it wont be noticeable enough imo.  Maybe I am wrong.  I have never taken FoD on a tank Paladin.  Whats FoD hit like on a defensive Paladin with a one hander and very little DR bypass (3 DR from maces I guess but its not enough).

Maybe the Goldpact knight DoT will add some value to the damage....

PS.  I have used Liberating Exhortation for poisons and Raw damage dots from rogues which really wear down the health of your backline if they get hit by a ranged rogue.  It has been GREAT.

So for 12 its between, Greater Lay on Hands, Bond of Duty (it can be ok for some situations and some RP as a Goldpact Knight I guess) or The Dot to FoD if I take FoD...which I don't think I will unless I am wrong completely about it being a crap tank ability!

Are you sure Reinforcing Exhortation can't be cast on yourself? Liberating Exhortation can, in case you didn't know.

The only thing I have against Hastening Exhortation is that it's Per Rest. I'd find it awkward to rest more often just for one ability, and I do prefer to go around with my inn resting bonuses and/or a certain other perk from the Salty Mast as much as I can :D. Only recently have I grown tired of going back and forth to keep those buffs up when the content is doable without it. Alternately, I could rest no more often than I do now, but then I'd only get limited use from Hastening Exhortation. Now, if these concerns over resting mechanics don't bother you, be my guest and take it. It'd make your rogue happy, but then so would Reinforcing Exhortation. Was it you who posted before about squishy melee DPS? That'd certainly help!

Yeah, sounds like FoD just isn't your thing. I've seen it hit for 40+ recently (with Ravenwing), but the main use of it for me is combining it with the respective Shieldbearer or Darkozzi talent. Lately I actually have used it to finish off an enemy here and there, but I think Reinforcing Exhortation would be better than taking FoD just for that.

Edit: and Greater Lay on Hands seems like it would probably just take the lead for you for level 12. Aside from RP considerations, that's the one I'd pick since you have a priest and all, but at that point your choice won't make or break your game lol.

Edited by Nobear

I've actually never had reinforcing exhortation so I was assuming you can't cast it on yourself because you cannot cast Hastening Exhortation on yourself. I did make the post about melee dps but even with reinforcing exhortation a rogue with little deflection won't be helped much I do not think. He's a glass cannon no dumped stats but per and res are at 10 so after reckless assault he's got 37 deflection. With the buff he'd be at 62 Def. Still getting mashed. I'd take it more for my other tank making him unhittable

I do know you can cast Liberating on yourself.

I'd actually try FoD on my Paladin tank if I could just get past not having 5 Deflection lol.

PS thanks for the help guys!

Edited by Torm51
  • Like 1

Have gun will travel.

I would take Fort and Ref defense talents but thats just my solo reflexes which are less important with party.

As to paladin buffs you can/'t cast on yourself: they have to be castable on friendly targets, not just allies.

I would take Fort and Ref defense talents but thats just my solo reflexes which are less important with party.

As to paladin buffs you can/'t cast on yourself: they have to be castable on friendly targets, not just allies.

"As to paladin buffs you can/'t cast on yourself: they have to be castable on friendly targets, not just allies" I don't get it what is the difference between friendly targets and allies?

•  

Have gun will travel.

"As to paladin buffs you can/'t cast on yourself: they have to be castable on friendly targets, not just allies" I don't get it what is the difference between friendly targets and allies?

I'm guessing he means you can tell the difference by a difference in the wording of the tooltips, but I'm not sure.

Edit: Whaddya know, the tooltips do differ between "Friendly Target" and "Allied Target." Reviving is listed as friendly, so technically you'd be able to revive yourself, except you can't because you're unconscious lol!

I guess you could be friendly with yourself. I've heard of being your own ally too (reminds me of stuff said by motivational speakers), but not in this game lol

Edited by Nobear

I'm guessing he means you can tell the difference by a difference in the wording of the tooltips, but I'm not sure.

Edit: Whaddya know, the tooltips do differ between "Friendly Target" and "Allied Target." Reviving is listed as friendly, so technically you'd be able to revive yourself, except you can't because you're unconscious lol!

I guess you could be friendly with yourself. I've heard of being your own ally too (reminds me of stuff said by motivational speakers), but not in this game lol

Nah I don't think so bud.  Lay on Hands says Friendly and you can heal yourself with it.  Liberating Exhortation says allied and you can buff yourself with it as well.

Have gun will travel.

Nah I don't think so bud.  Lay on Hands says Friendly and you can heal yourself with it.  Liberating Exhortation says allied and you can buff yourself with it as well.

I was looking at the outdated game guide, not in-game, so that wouldn't surprise me.

Edit: I just checked in-game and Liberating Exhortation says friendly. I'm not looking at the paragraph that describes it, I'm looking above where it says Effect: Friendly Target.

Edited by Nobear
  • Like 1