So, Which digital distributor gives Obsidian the most money?

I'm about the purchase the game and I wanna support Obsidian by buying the game from the channel that gives them the most money. My guess is that it is not Steam even if you buy a Steam key.

So, is it Paradox store, which is the default choice via Obisidian site?

Paradox store sells Steam keys. There is three different digital distibutors for the game Steam, GOG.com and Origin, which all in my knowledge take about similar slice of selling price to them. It is difficult to say what is key stores' cut, but I would guess that amount of selling price that Obsidian gets isn't higher (probably less) than what they get from purchaces that are done directly from distributors' own stores.

My recommendation, as per usual, is GOG.

But... huh, who's the publisher? to my knowledge Obsidian published the game themselves and they dont have their own store, they link to Paradox by default.

Paradox is the publisher, but it doesn't really change anything in terms of who gets what cut where.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

I'm about the purchase the game and I wanna support Obsidian by buying the game from the channel that gives them the most money. My guess is that it is not Steam even if you buy a Steam key.

So, is it Paradox store, which is the default choice via Obisidian site?

Standard split for every DD outlet so far as anyone knows is 70/30 with the latter being the vendor cut. If it were within 30 days of release Origin would be best, as they don't take a cut on kickstarted games during the first thirty days, but it is well outside that. Only difference now is who gets the 30%, Paradox want to pimp their own store because they keep the 30% from there, steam gets the 30% from direct steam sales, GOG gets it from GOG sales etc. If Obsidian were still selling via the backer portal that would be best as they would get all the cash, but they aren't- though I guess they might re open it for expansion pre orders I suspect they cannot direct sell PoE themselves until their contract with Paradox runs out.

It's possible that Obsidian get a greater share from sales made via Paradox, but it seems unlikely.

Only other possible consideration is referrer links, if a website you like has a GOG referrer they will get a cut of sales made via their referral link.

But long story short it likely makes no difference at all to Obsidian who it is bought from.

Paradox store sells Steam keys. There is three different digital distibutors for the game Steam, GOG.com and Origin,

There are more. The Company which bundles it for the mac appstore and now new the region exclusive South Korea firm (which sells steam keys).

Steam key sellers aren't digital distributors (because it is Steam that distributes the game, not the key seller), but it seems that Mac Appstore (and it is Appstore that distributes the game, not the company that put it in there) is also digital distributor for the game's mac version.

• Like 1