Please redeem implements in White Marsh

Implements are one of my pet peeves in PoE. I like the idea, and there are even things I like about the implementation - but as it is, implements just aren't worth investing in, and are barely worth using. I think 2.0/White March is a good chance to fix that.

Look, I know that wizards can use implements half-decently, but to be honest? Wizards have better things to do with their time than not cast spells, and better things to do with their talent slots than enhance non-spell casting offense (yes, Kalakoth's Minor Blights is pretty good, but I still feel like there are better things to do with one's time). Meanwhile, the classes that get more mileage out of attacking (see: all of them) don't have any reason to go for implements.

I think a few things could be done to fix this, perhaps with slightly different approaches for each of the three implements. Implement damage or speed could be raised to make them more attractive. Maybe they could be allowed to double as weak melee weapons - certainly a scepter sounds like something you could hit a fellow with. Maybe they could be made one-handed, giving them the distinctive niche as ranged weapons you can use with a shield, or dual wield. I mean, really, two wands? Pretty pimp.

With respect to talents, I think Blast and it's successors could stand to be generally accessible. If casters like wizards are supposed to use implements, they should have talents that actually connect implement use to spellcasting. Dangerous Implements might need a bit of retuning, but I think it'll probably be fine if implements in general are good.

One of my favorite things about implements is that they let you play something like a D&D warlock or other pure blaster without needing to devote an entire class. There are lots of concepts that, in combination with existing classes, I think they can simulate. A rogue or monk can be a quick-drawing assassin, a chanter can be a sly necromancer, a ranger can play to more of a shamanic archetype, or a Bleak Walker paladin can be an arcane artilleryman, among others. It would be great to see more support for them in the upcoming expansion.

Edited by gkathellar
  • Like 2

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

white marsh is in maryland, yes? could be fun to have the game set in baltimore... though is likely too controversial at the moment.

on the more serious side, implements do have extreme limited use in the hands o' a character other than a wizard.  blast is gonna be a multi-class talent, but am not certain how weakened it will be. implements does strike us as a largely wasted addition to the game at this point and their class-specific nature is running contrary to general poe design principles.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Pretty much agree. I think a monk which uses the implement modal to generate wounds would be a pretty cool character concept based around an obscure synergy if implements were made stronger. If they were single handed, dual wielding them to generate wounds faster would make for some unique ranged character.

BTW, how do you know blast is a multiclass talent, gromnir? Is there an announcement i missed?

Edited by Doppelschwert

Do we have any confirmation that Blast will be made multiclassed? I thought it was just speculation.

I have experimented with a Dangerous Implements ranged monk build. It works, and there are a good selection of ranged monk talents, but I think it falls a little short of a Ranger for DPS. The best feature was with a moon godlike you get periodic burst healing from the back.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

blast is gonna be a multi-class talent, but am not certain how weakened it will be.

I wouldn't be surprised. That said, Blast really should just be a general Talent, rather than taking up the wizard multiclass.

• Like 2

Wands and Sceptres do less damage than a hunting bow, and have pretty much no chance of getting past DR. Rods do a tiny bit more damage than a hunting bow, but have the rate of fire of a war bow, which does considerably more damage.

With the Dangerous Implements talent they do about the same damage as bows, at the cost of self damage and an extra talent.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Why is an implement worse than bow?

I think you're asking "how," rather than why - in which case Fardragon got it in one.

On the other hand, if you are asking "why," then yeah, that's what I'd like to know.

IIRC, they were originally one-handed, but there were animation issues. Anyway, it's lame, and they should fix it.

I agree. Although  With a Wizard, haste spell, blight spell and the proper talents....the wizard in my party is an auto attack machine  that does very good damage with implements.  Its good dps and actually part of my burst set up: Haste Spell, Essential Phantom, Blights focus fire and mobs just fall over (Playing on PoTD).  That being said its the only class and build that has use for it and Essential Phantom as nothing to do with implements.  It should have more applications then to one class and one specific build.  Like the rest of the weapons in the game.  Agreed.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

• 1 month later...