Cancelled Obsidian game - STORMLANDS

Infinitron

I guess this is "Project North Carolina".

http://kotaku.com/how-kickstarter-saved-obsidian-1716537369

The second event was grimmer—in March of 2012, Microsoft cancelled the RPG they’d contracted Obsidian to make for their new Xbox, which was then called Durango. Obsidian was calling the game Stormlands, according to a source, and they’d designed it to be one of the Xbox One’s premiere RPGs, but Microsoft axed it during a final greenlight meeting. This was a brutal one—Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart called a company meeting shortly afterwards and, choking up, announced that they’d be laying off 30 employees.

• Like 3

I still find it silly that they thought they wouldn't get funded through Kickstarter.

At that point in time? before that adventure game broke records? I don't think anyone believed any videogame could be successful on Kickstarter. The budgets that were handed out on KS back in the day would have only funded small indie devs, not an entire studio.

It's a cool title?

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Plus Microsoft didn't have a stellar record during the lead in to the on3 launch- always online, higher price, forced kinect etc- would make sense that they cancelled a good game while backing something like Ryse instead. Actually, given that they've reversed all those other decisions we might have a valid candidate for the unannounced game...