I just got St. Garam's Spark, a pistol with the Marking property. I gave it to my ranged chanter, thinking it might grant accuracy, say, to my cipher. However, I went into battle to test it, with the whole party attacking the same target, and I saw no indication of any enemy debuff or ally buff granting accuracy on anyone. I checked to make sure Kana had indeed hit (well, it was a graze), and I paused and checked less than a second later.

So what gives? Does it not work? Or does it work silently? And if it works, how? Is it supposed to

a) Apply an enemy debuff to the target, granting anyone attacking it increased accuracy?

b) Grant a buff to all other allies, increasing their accuracy against the same target?

c) Grant such a buff to only one ally (randomly chosen)?

or something else I haven't considered?

If memory serves, Marking only grants the accuracy bonus to allies who are close to the character with the Marking weapon. So yeah, ranged markers like St.Garam's Spark won't do much for you unless you're pretty much shooting at enemies from reach/point-blank range and to the best of my knowledge the effect is indeed silent. The actual effect is unfortunately far more restrictive and underwhelming than its description would lead you to believe.

Edited by Aea

Hm, well if what you say is true, it would indeed be good if my ranged are all standing close to each other, i.e. near Kana who is the ranged chanter with the gun in question. I like to do a lot of focus firing on top of CC.

I wonder how big the range is though. How close is close?

And how long does the effect last? Is it from the first successful shot with the Marking weapon until the enemy dies? Or does it require a shot at all, or just the condition that multiple party members are targeting the same enemy and somewhere in the process of attacking it?

Also, does it apply to spells and abilities, or just autoattacks?

Maybe those details are not all known, but I'd like to know if they are.