Why kickstarter backer is excluded from localization benefits?

kimbyungmo

Question

Hey

I am a Korean Kickstarter backer 

I have supported the game from the very beginning through Kickstarter

a few months before you release this game, a Korean company has dealt with you for Korean sales and additional localization services

and the company released the Korean localization patch today

The problem is Korean localization service is only available to the one who bought the game from the Korean localization company

I understand this should be somewhat exclusive to the one who bought the game from the company, not from Steam directly for the company's rewards of localization costs

But what about Kickstart-supporters like me? 

I have supported and bought your game before this Korean company is involved in

and now I can not access Korean localization as well

This is quite annoying 

I believe this is not a proper respect/treatment for the first-supporter of your game

How could I trust and keep supporting you if the very first backers are ironically excluded from the primary benefit?

I want to hear your answer whether you can help Kickstarter backers to get Korean localization patch properly 

thanks 

Edited by kimbyungmo
  • Like 1

18 answers to this question

Thanks Obsidian

The Korean company officially announced today that they will support Korean localization to Kickstarter backers soon 

Problem solved 

Hey, everyone. Obsidian is not handling localization of the game.

Initially, the game was not going to be localized into Korean. H2 Interactive worked with Paradox to get a deal in place that would allow them to localize the game into Korean in exchange for timed exclusivity of the localizations.

Since Obsidian didn't sign the contract with H2 Interactive, I don't have any of the specifics.

I am currently working with Paradox to see if we can get the localizations for our backers, but I can't release anything until I get confirmation from Paradox and H2 Interactive that they would be okay with that.

Edited by kimbyungmo

If the korean company just released the localization patch today, you might want to give Obsidian a moment and a chance to actually deal with it before feeling all insulted and whatnot.

I could see the frustration if it's been a week or two, because not having localization available everywhere is rather unacceptable these days, but there hasn't even been a chance for an official patch yet. It's going to be a while before Obsidian even has a chance to address this, if the localization patch is some third-party-but-official patch (which, based on what you're saying, it is).

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

If the korean company just released the localization patch today, you might want to give Obsidian a moment and a chance to actually deal with it before feeling all insulted and whatnot.

I could see the frustration if it's been a week or two, because not having localization available everywhere is rather unacceptable these days, but there hasn't even been a chance for an official patch yet. It's going to be a while before Obsidian even has a chance to address this, if the localization patch is some third-party-but-official patch (which, based on what you're saying, it is).

I am afraid it is rather official Korean patch rather than third-party one 

the Korean company sells Steam-codes with region-locked

the Korean localization patch was stealthy-uploaded via Steam today only for the one who bought the code from the Korean Company

you may be right that I am too tempered because the patch was released just today lesser than 24 hours

Obsidian would need some time to deal with this issue

Nevertheless, I want to hear Obsidian's official stance whether they can help kickstarter backers to get Korean localization patch properly   

Edited by kimbyungmo

It is third-party because it was developed by someone else. It can be third-party and still officially sanctioned.

If it's not resolved, I'll share your outrage - after all, what if *I* want the korean localization, for whatever reason? Just give them a chance to catch up.

t50aJUd.jpg

Hi there, 

We are not handling the Korean localization. The only way to get this is through the company that is releasing it. Unfortunately, that means that Kickstarter items will not come with that version of the game.

- Refer to this thread if you are having trouble finding any information I requested http://forums.obsidi...eport-an-issue/

Yeah, that's honestly pretty upsetting to hear, why would you make a contract pertaining to localization but that excludes anyone that bought or acquired the game at an earlier point in time? That's horse****, truth be told.

Saying that Kickstarter Items will not come with that version of the game makes it even worse - it means that even if someone was to buy the game a second time, just for the localization, which is BS in and of itself, they'd have to choose between the localization and the kickstarter/pre-order/etc bonuses?

That's the craziest **** I've heard all week, honestly.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

Saying that Kickstarter Items will not come with that version of the game makes it even worse - it means that even if someone was to buy the game a second time, just for the localization, which is BS in and of itself, they'd have to choose between the localization and the kickstarter/pre-order/etc bonuses?

Actually you can copy the exclusive items between multiple installations of the game. Not that it would make this kind of "exclusive translation" more acceptable in any way.

Actually you can copy the exclusive items between multiple installations of the game. Not that it would make this kind of "exclusive translation" more acceptable in any way.

You can probably copy the localization, too, but either way would be dodgy.

t50aJUd.jpg

Hi there, 

We are not handling the Korean localization. The only way to get this is through the company that is releasing it. Unfortunately, that means that Kickstarter items will not come with that version of the gam

kickstarter items are not important really at least to me, whereas localization is 

can you change my pillar of eternity steam-subscription from the global to the Korean region-locked so that I can download Korean localization?

pretty please?

this is so heart-breaking

why should kickstarter backers be treated discriminatingly like second-class one with this severe disadvantage of localization loss?

Am I guilty to support you at the first time through kickstarter?

should I buy another pillar of eternity from the Korean company to play PoE in my first language, Korean localization just because -

I supported you at the very first time through kickstarter in 2013,

not to purchase the game through the Korean company which started to sell their own steam codes from this year 2015? 

please do not make me regret to support you since the very beginning through the kickstarter 

Edited by kimbyungmo

Initially, the game was not going to be localized into Korean. H2 Interactive worked with Paradox to get a deal in place that would allow them to localize the game into Korean in exchange for timed exclusivity of the localizations.

Since Obsidian didn't sign the contract with H2 Interactive, I don't have any of the specifics.

I am currently working with Paradox to see if we can get the localizations for our backers, but I can't release anything until I get confirmation from Paradox and H2 Interactive that they would be okay with that.

• Like 4

thanks for your information!

now I know that it was an issue between Paradox-H2.

hope some good news, thanks 

I haven't purchased this game yet but definitely want to find out if Steam/Mac App Store versions support Korean language. This Korean company only sells Windows version unfortunately. I've been googling and I see posts that GoG versions support Korean. And I even found this interesting link:

https://steamdb.info/app/367720/

According to the link above, Korean language is available for owners on Steam as DLC and the localization supports all platforms.

Could you guys please confirm if this means I can get Korean support on Steam or Mac App Store versions?

I haven't purchased this game yet but definitely want to find out if Steam/Mac App Store versions support Korean language. This Korean company only sells Windows version unfortunately. I've been googling and I see posts that GoG versions support Korean. And I even found this interesting link:

https://steamdb.info/app/367720/

According to the link above, Korean language is available for owners on Steam as DLC and the localization supports all platforms.

Could you guys please confirm if this means I can get Korean support on Steam or Mac App Store versions?

yes, I know that Korean language is available for steam as DLC. but it was only allowed for people who buy POE through Korean publisher( aka H2 interactive).

if I bought POE through steam, I couldn't get Korean language DLC, and kickstarters are same. and you too. 

if you purchase POE directly from steam, you can't get korean DLC. 

and in my case, if I bought POE through H2, I can not register POE with Korean DLC in my steam library not until I remove my old POE(kickstart edition) because they are the same game!

what a terrible story! 

Edited by zfedaykin