A problem with Eder's quest

So I am doing the Path of the Damned run and I can't get my reputation with the capital to get into the positive territory although I completed ALL quests there. The rep is stuck at Merciful Brute. Am I missing something?

Completing quests is no guarantee that you'll come out with a good reputation. The fact that you're pegged as a Merciful Brute suggests that you've got a less-than-stellar reputation and may not have been entirely nice in your dealings with the local populace.

There are other way to finish the quest or get through the conversation I am assuming you're at, should you fail to gain the favour of the mud-covered peasantry of Defiance Bay.

t50aJUd.jpg

Completing quests is no guarantee that you'll come out with a good reputation. The fact that you're pegged as a Merciful Brute suggests that you've got a less-than-stellar reputation and may not have been entirely nice in your dealings with the local populace.

There are other way to finish the quest or get through the conversation I am assuming you're at, should you fail to gain the favour of the mud-covered peasantry of Defiance Bay.

I killed quite a few locals where I though nobody would notice, especially those gold-named ones, they drop good loot. I suspected there's a hidden rep loss to that. When there was a choice in ending a quest I chose the ones that gave me max rep with D.B I think I got at least one Extraordinary.

As far as the conversation with the librarian goes, there are only two options except Leave, one is to threaten, which he scoffs at and the other is to beg, which he refuses to accept.

Well depending on how much you've done in Defiance Bay and how many you killed, you might be boned doing it the Reputation way. Generally speaking, killing the locals isn't a good way to ingratiate yourself, whether they're annoying or not.

There's some alternate way(s), but I don't remember the specifics myself. Could've been Might, could've been Intellect, could've been Resolve, not sure.

Since you're seemingly not adverse to some wanton murder, have you tried repeatedly beating the records keeper with a sharp object?

t50aJUd.jpg

I'm reasonably confident Perception is the stat you need.

• Like 1

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Well depending on how much you've done in Defiance Bay and how many you killed, you might be boned doing it the Reputation way. Generally speaking, killing the locals isn't a good way to ingratiate yourself, whether they're annoying or not.

There's some alternate way(s), but I don't remember the specifics myself. Could've been Might, could've been Intellect, could've been Resolve, not sure.

Since you're seemingly not adverse to some wanton murder, have you tried repeatedly beating the records keeper with a sharp object?

Killing records keeper fails the quest.

• Like 1

If I recall correctly, convincing the record's Keeper without Defiance Bay rep is actually a multi-stat deal and it's made trickier by the fact that one of the checks is made in secret on the NPC's side rather than one of your conversation options so if you don't meet the criteria, you won't know that the check is there. I am not 100% on the specific stats, but I want to say the requirements are either 15 or 16 Resolve to try to reason with the record's keeper and 16+ Perception to notice a detail in his reaction to your request that opens up the "It's okay, I am a foreigner too" dialogue option, which is what convinces him to do it. Resolve alone doesn't cut it, and the Might option is a red herring since he'll point out that you can't make good on your threats in the middle of a guarded government building. I pulled this off with a character dedicated to digging up dialogue options (14 Per/14 Int/14 Rest) with Lilith's Shawl and a +2 Resolve item equipped, so I'm fairly confident thant 16 res and 16-17 perception together should do the trick. That option itself might require Int on top of the perception, but if so the requirement *shouldn't* be more than 14 since I don't recall having had any Int buffs at the time.

So uh...hope you didn't dumpstat Perception?

Edited by Aea

If I recall correctly, convincing the record's Keeper without Defiance Bay rep is actually a multi-stat deal and it's made trickier by the fact that one of the checks is made in secret on the NPC's side rather than one of your conversation options so if you don't meet the criteria, you won't know that the check is there. I am not 100% on the specific stats, but I want to say the requirements are either 15 or 16 Resolve to try to reason with the record's keeper and 16+ Perception to notice a detail in his reaction to your request that opens up the "It's okay, I am a foreigner too" dialogue option, which is what convinces him to do it. Resolve alone doesn't cut it, and the Might option is a red herring since he'll point out that you can't make good on your threats in the middle of a guarded government building. I pulled this off with a character dedicated to digging up dialogue options (14 Per/14 Int/14 Rest) with Lilith's Shawl and a +2 Resolve item equipped, so I'm fairly confident thant 16 res and 16-17 perception together should do the trick. That option itself might require Int on top of the perception, but if so the requirement *shouldn't* be more than 14 since I don't recall having had any Int buffs at the time.

So uh...hope you didn't dumpstat Perception?

My un-buffed stats Resolve 11, Perception 12, Intellect 14. I am not sue what combination of gear and buffs can get me to 16/16/14. I tried with 15/16/14, did not work.

You should be able to stack two 'boons' from the prostitutes in the Salty Mast on top of an Inn resting bonus to get you quite some way. Big Durmsey's Boon should have a Resolve boost, and there's an inn stay in Brackenbury that gives you a major boost to Int (I want to say +4?). For gear, there's Lilith's Shawl at the top of the Lighthouse in Ondra's Gift (+3 Per), the Dunryd Demon helmet for sale in Copperlane (+2 Int), a hat sold by the Dozens' merchant that gives you +2 res at the cost of -1 Int, and a number of armors and accessories that should have stat bonuses. If you can't find one with the stat you need, you can also enchant a +2 stat bonus of your choice to any piece of armor as long as you have the right ingredients (there's a merchant in the northeast of Ondra's Gift during nighttime who'll hook you up if you're short on the necessary gems). Another option for resolve is backtracking to gilded Vale to get the Dyrwood's Pride rest bonus (+2 Resolve). Finally, you can also get Perception from eating Ixamitl Ricepan and there should be similar dishes for Int and Res as well. With that statline, clearing this quest point with stat checks should be doable provided that the option hasn't been patched out since I used it, but you'll likely have to spend a bit of time finding the right combination of prostitutes/inns/gear/food to buff your stats first.

Edited by Aea

That's the oldest magic for you, making your stat check problems disappear with the aid of a well-endowed Orlan. ;D

But yeah, the boons are a thing and I was happy to find that they're separate from Inn bonuses so taking one doesn't give up the other. There's a lot of stat boosts like that around the game, it just usually takes a bit of busywork to round them all up.

So I got my Resolve/Intellect/Perception to 16/14/16. Nothing. Do you know which prostitute (if any) gives +2 Int?

Update

Soooooo. The requirement (for my character, in case it's different for some others, Orlan Barbarian with High Cruelty, Deception and Aggressive) is 17 Perception to notice the accent and 17 Resolver to be able to address it. The prostitute that give +2 Int, +2 Perception and +1 Lore, is a human guy upstairs, near the club entrance. I had to buy a dragon egg to get to 17, but luckily it was enough with an Inn buff.

But more interestingly, once Eder found out where he needed to go, I told him to take a hike, and he left the party, taking a whole lot of loot with him. I went there myself right after it, and found the item. But did not find Eder. I wonder if he would reappear later on, but I am not losing my main tank so I had to restore an earlier game.

And by the way, I think that I got this curse (not being able to get rep up)  by killing Cerel's guards.

Edited by aartamen