Mass Effect 4 - will a dispraiser of Mass Effect 3 enjoy it?

samm

Based on what you guys know so far (I haven't bothered to read / view any PR stuff released so far), will someone like me be able to enjoy Mass Effect 4 under the following partially contradicting premises:

- Loves traditional RPGs as well as action games (previous ME were partially ok)

- Loves well written characters (romance does not matter either way, character related quests do)

- Loves good story of a personal nature (not necessarily focused on saving the world, but impact on surroundings is nice)

- Loves sci fi (mainly either optimistic like Star Trek or pessimistic like some post apocalyptic stuff, previous ME were partially ok)

- Loves good graphics (previous ME had their moments)

- Loves good music (previous ME had their moments)

- Loves games that let you breathe and enjoy (previous ME failed)

- Loves games that ask difficult questions and allows to solve things according to own moral standards (previous ME failed)

- Loves peaceful solutions (previous ME failed mostly)

- Loves to build things (like upgrading ship / stronghold with actual effect on something and branching decisions, both ME and PoE sort of tried but failed in my eyes)

- Loves depth in character progression and resulting play style (previous ME failed partially)

- Loves consistent quality (previous ME failed spectacularly)

- Hates being forced to play military guy (ME 1 & 3)

- Hates to play through a string of situations where there is no choice (most missions in ME series so far)

- Hates to be suggested choice when there is none or just some email signed with a random character name in a later game (most missions in ME series so far)

- Hates explanations and situations that feel forced and illogical (like the transition from ME 1 to ME 2, ME 3 the whole "boy-left-behind" crap)

- Hates to play through situations seen in games / movies time and again (ME 1 and 3 mainly)

- Hates grinding through hordes of enemies (ME 3 mainly)

- Hates constant time limits, stressful situations suggested by story (ME 3 did that on almost every mission)

- Hates recycled, obviously confined areas (ME 1 interiors and 3 mainly - ME 2 had more unique, beautiful though small areas that I enjoyed)

- Hates repetition (all of the previous MEs had so much obvious time filler material, much like certain shallow but fat books)

- Indifferent about achievements

- Prefers DRM free but has all the usual sh*t installed anyway (Steam, Origin) except that Ubisoft thingy

- Indifferent about NPC character progression

- Indifferent about play time (though won't pay 60 bucks for 5 hours of entertainment)

- Indifferent about fantasy elements in sci fi as long as it is plausible with few leaps of faith (ME did that quite well with bionics etc.)

- Indifferent about game mechanics as long as it's good for what it is (doesn't pretend to be an RPG when it's a somewhat interactive movie)

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

There's almost next to nothing known about the new Mass Effect at this point.  So it's difficult to be able to tell which boxes of yours it will tick or not.  Your question would be better off being asked in about 6 months to a year when there's actual information about the game.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I'm sure you'll hate it judging by the general direction Bioware is taking, you should stick to indie RPGs.

That said, if you could tolerate the worst parts of ME3, then you can most likely tolerate #4, I think it's very safe to assume they are gonna be making it even more 'accessible', 'fun' and 'awesome'. Just like every other game series they're making. To me it feels like they are taking the soul and character out of games and making them lifeless, but fairly fun.. Its just not something I like paying that much for.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

Not to accuse Bioware of dumbing down or anything, but Mass Effect 5 will be accessible for goldfish.

Edited by Fardragon

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Probably be some colonist mini-game with mobile app tie-in.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

There isn't much information at present, but what there is sounds like more action, less RPG with perhaps some sort of attempt at a more meaningfully open galaxy approach to the previous games. From the list it's likely to favour the dislikes, rather than the likes.

I wouldn't mind personally if they went full on 3rd person shooter though, they're most of the way there already.

Based on what you guys know so far *snip* will someone like me be able to enjoy Mass Effect 4?

Seeing as we know essentially nothing beyond the game's existence, the answer is I don't know.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

This is pure theorycraft on my behalf based on two seconds of the trailer, but to give an answer regarding your dislike of playing Military Man, they showed the N7 logo on the armour of the guy who was operating the console which implies to me that you will be playing a marine again.  This is even more theorycraft, but the trailer showed lots of samey people fighting after selecting a battleground, indicating not only more strongly that it will be a military game but also that it may be geared up more as a multiplayer game (the guy switching between images of planets could be taken to be the player choosing the battleground site). 

Pure theorycraft based on a pre-rendered video with zero actual gameplay in it, so I claim nothing to back up my musings and point out that I doubt very much that I will be buying it regardless.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

They're dropping the numbered sequence, since the game takes place "far away from and long after the events of the original trilogy."

The N7 you see in the trailer is not the player character. You probably won't have to play the "military guy" if you don't want to. 

I can't tell if the official premise sounds fun or makes me wince: And through it all, you will have a new team of adventurers to work with, learn from, fight alongside of, and fall in love with.

Johnny Cash kicks ass, though. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG8V9dRqSsw

All Stop. On Screen.

I just hope they don't come up with something lame like a clone of Shepard as the PC.

"It's not Shepard!  The PC's name is Bishop!  He's completely different (even though he's exactly the same, including Mark Meer/Jennifer Hale as the voice actor)."

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I just hope they don't come up with something lame like a clone of Shepard as the PC.

Nah, they're not going to make a single clone of Shepard.

They're going to make *2* clones of Shepard, one for you to play and one for you to romance.

Seriously though, I liked the series (admittedly decreasingly during each installment) so I'm curious - if they can recapture the best parts of the series for a full game, then the game will be worth playing.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

<joke>

Nah, they're not going to make a single clone of Shepard.

They're going to make *2* clones of Shepard, one for you to play and one for you to romance.

</joke>

Seriously though, I liked the series (admittedly decreasingly during each installment) so I'm curious - if they can recapture the best parts of the series for a full game, then the game will be worth playing.

I'm very excited about ME4,...... lets be honest Amentep whats better than killing alien scum and Romance in space  :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

WTF is a "dispraiser"?  The word you're looking for is CRITIC.

Am I?

Given you didn't like the previous Mass Effect games, I'm going to guess you won't like the next one either.

I didn't dislike them entirely (wouldn't have bought all of them otherwise), they had their highlights. And maybe Bioware decides to focus on these ;)

Thanks for the answers so far. Wasn't aware of how little is known at this point.

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I'm interested since I find the underlying gameplay of Mass Effect 2 and 3 quite enjoyable and generally enjoyed the storyline except for the entire ending sequence of ME3.

I'm guessing you play a crew of mixed species from the Milky Way galaxy sent to chart out an entirely new galaxy as some last ditch backup plan initiated by the Council in case the Reapers win. I hope that's why it's called Andromeda, because we will be exploring the Andromeda galaxy. You wake up in an Ark-like vessel at the beginning of the game and go from there. 

Then Bioware can just ignore the very different ramifications of the three endings of ME3 and start all players on a clean slate. 

That was my thought too. An ark launched before the ending of ME3 would allow them to ignore the outcome of that game, just as they ignored the outcome of each previous game.

• Like 1

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

That was my thought too. An ark launched before the ending of ME3 would allow them to ignore the outcome of that game, just as they ignored the outcome of each previous game.

I see what you did there. ;)

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

If anyone wants the rumoured general gist of the game from the reddit/ survey leak it's here though it's conjecture at this point as to its overall accuracy. It was preE3 and got the Andromeda aspect right though, so has some credibility.

The return of the Mako almost had me tempted, but then I read 'custom pain jobs' and the thought that entered my mind was "Only £1.99 per paint scheme or £5.99 for a whole set!"  This is EA we are talking about here after all....

It sounds like it will have a lot of multiplayer, as well as rip-off DLC. Probably one not to look forward to.

If anyone wants the rumoured general gist of the game from the reddit/ survey leak it's here though it's conjecture at this point as to its overall accuracy. It was preE3 and got the Andromeda aspect right though, so has some credibility.

The Remnant sound awfully like the Protheans.

Honestly, if that's even close to accurate, I actually like the premise.  Now lets see if they can nail the execution.