If a weapon is soulbound, will I be able to choose what class it is soulbound to? Or is the class already set it stone/pre chosen?

Can somebody give me a rundown on how the soulbound weapons will work.

Will soulbound weapons be extremely better than non soulbound weapons? Or will non soulbound weapons still be viable?

Edited by Gary1986

There is a thread in the general discussion forum detailing what is known about the expansion. Soulbound weapons appear to have a choice of three classes to bind to, e.g. there is a two handed sword that can bind to a Fighter, a Paladin, or a Barbarian.

• Like 1

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

There is a thread in the general discussion forum detailing what is known about the expansion. Soulbound weapons appear to have a choice of three classes to bind to, e.g. there is a two handed sword that can bind to a Fighter, a Paladin, or a Barbarian.

Why didn't they just make it so you can choose any class to soulbind it to? Sounds very limiting.

Why didn't they just make it so you can choose any class to soulbind it to? Sounds very limiting.

Probably because each Soulbound weapon has a number of special abilities that unlocks with use over time. It would be extremely annoying to bind your two-handed sword to a Wizard only to find out later that its abilities weren't at all suited to a spellcaster but very useful for a front-line fighter.

Probably because each Soulbound weapon has a number of special abilities that unlocks with use over time. It would be extremely annoying to bind your two-handed sword to a Wizard only to find out later that its abilities weren't at all suited to a spellcaster but very useful for a front-line fighter.

While I agree with you that it would be the logical or 'best use' scenario, shouldn't it be our (the players) choice? Josh & co. billed the game as having 'tank Wizards' (paraphrase) if we so desire to build them that way.

Because the abilities that are unlocked are specifically tied to the class it is soulbound to. For example, a Barbarian might unlock a boost to Carnage AoE, whereas a Paladin might get a boost to Flames of Devotion damage.

Edited by Fardragon
  • Like 2

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Will unique weapons still be viable when soulbound weapons come out? Like I enjoy my main char using a dagger and rapier. But if there is no soulbound dagger and/or rapier for fighters I don't want to feel I need to change my weapon mastery or I'm missing out.

Unique weapons are going to stay and soulbound weapons automatically receive the focus/spec/mastery of the character they are bound to regardless of their type.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Unique weapons are going to stay and soulbound weapons automatically receive the focus/spec/mastery of the character they are bound to regardless of their type.

But up above somebody said each soulbound weapon will have a choice of 3 classes. Is that person wrong? Will soulbound weapons have the ability to be soulbound to any class?

Nope. That person was correct. I don't see how that contradicts what I wrote, however.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Nope. That person was correct. I don't see how that contradicts what I wrote, however.

So basically you are bottle necked when it comes to choosing weapons. Cause say there is a soulbound rapier yet it doesnt soulbind to fighters, no fighter will ever use a rapier, cause you will be limiting yourself if you do.

Edited by Gary1986

Quite the opposite: The mechanic I described exists precisely to prevent that very scenario. Uniques will sill exist and be viable; however, if you want your rapier-wielding fighter to use the soulbound great sword, you can. Your talents will apply to it automatically, so you don't really lose anything.

So basically you are bottle necked when it comes to choosing weapons. Cause say there is a soulbound rapier yet it doesnt soulbind to fighters, no fighter will ever use a rapier, cause you will be limiting yourself if you do.

No, you can create a rapier fighter, but if you find a soulbound greatsword your fighter can still use it because his rapier skills apply to any soulbound weapon.

The reason for doing it this way is simple: there won't be many soulbound weapons in the game (my guess is four). Chances are, there is no soulbound rapier.

Edited by Fardragon

• 1 month later...

While the other soulbound weapons look interesting and potentially useful, that Greenstone staff had better have something that is useful for spellcasters when fully unlocked or it is a bit of a joke to have it bind to monks, druids, and wizards.

Especially with the squishy wizards, I'm trying hard to think of any situation in which whacking monsters from near the front ranks with a 2H staff is a better idea than casting a spell or shooting them with a wand, sceptre, or rod (perhaps boosted by Blast).

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

While the other soulbound weapons look interesting and potentially useful, that Greenstone staff had better have something that is useful for spellcasters when fully unlocked or it is a bit of a joke to have it bind to monks, druids, and wizards.

Especially with the squishy wizards, I'm trying hard to think of any situation in which whacking monsters from near the front ranks with a 2H staff is a better idea than casting a spell or shooting them with a wand, sceptre, or rod (perhaps boosted by Blast).

They should of made it soulbound to priest considering Durance has a thing for staffs.