Vicious Aim or Penetrating Shot

Is the -40% attack speed with both modals combined worth the 10+ accuracy, 20% dmg bonus and 5 DR bypass?

Would it be more beneficial to use swift aim instead of vicious shot to offset the -20% attack speed from penetrating shot?

Edited by Gary1986

It depends on the DR of what you are shooting at. Given that most enemies have high DR, you usually benefit more from higher damage and DR penetration than extra speed, especially if you are using a feeble weapon like a hunting bow. There is no point in peppering your enemies with arrows if they just bounce off.

Edited by Fardragon

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

I was thinking tho with swift aim there wont be the 20% decrease in attack speed, plus it offsets the 20% decrease in attack speed from penetrating shot.

So basically its 10 shots out of 10 with 5 DR bypass vs 6 shots out of 10 (40% decrease in attack speed) with 5 DR bypass and 20% dmg increase. What's better?

There really is no escape from "it depends on your target and your weapon*". With a hunting bow, against most enemies in PoE, you are better off with the extra damage. Also, remember that + accuracy increases the chance of a critical hit, and hence boosts average damage.

* and if your weapon has a "lash" or not.

Edited by Fardragon

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

There really is no escape from "it depends on your target and your weapon*". With a hunting bow, against most enemies in PoE, you are better off with the extra damage. Also, remember that + accuracy increases the chance of a critical hit, and hence boosts average damage.

Whats the difference between a normal hit and crit hit damage wise? Like say a normal hit does 10 damage, what damage would a crit hit do (roughly)?

Whats the difference between a normal hit and crit hit damage wise? Like say a normal hit does 10 damage, what damage would a crit hit do (roughly)?

Crits are just 50% more powerful. So 10 damage x 1.5= 15 damage

That's what I would do too, for a Hunting Bow.

Now if your ranger were using a gun, that's where I'd do Swift Aim, because that reload speed boost is massive, but bows don't even have a reload time. Only guns do, which include crossbows and arbalests.

I use Penetrating Shot and I believe swift aim (the one that increase reload and attack speed but lowers accuracy) I Always have swift aim on (because my accuracy is very high on my PC Ranger) And turn on my Penetrating Shot only against heavy armored foes. You can switch them on and off instntly during combat so I change them constantly. Anyone else do this?

I use Penetrating Shot and I believe swift aim (the one that increase reload and attack speed but lowers accuracy) I Always have swift aim on (because my accuracy is very high on my PC Ranger) And turn on my Penetrating Shot only against heavy armored foes. You can switch them on and off instntly during combat so I change them constantly. Anyone else do this?

What type of weapon do you use? I don't do that, but then I haven't run the math to calculate when that would be an advantage or a disadvantage. Against targets with no DR obviously Penetrating Shot would be a DPS loss, but those are usually easy enemies anyway. I don't know what the cutoff point would be, and it probably depends on weapon type too.

Edited by Nobear
  • Like 1