I see.

I like them in Dead of Winter. Needs locations and movement though, to be most immersive/exciting/funny. Also, do you start as a faction leader, or as a hero? Because if the former, less standees required. Just a thought :)

Underlying idea/brainstorm~
- Board w/ locations, map
- Put Faction Standee on its start location (drawn at random from shuffled "Leader Deck")

- Move/Explore world/board (Physical or Digital App... HoloLens/AR*?)
- Quest, Dungeon, Events, Trade, Recruit, Attack, Defend, Fortify etc. etc. (Actions)
- Future expansion/add-on prequel = "Ruler of the Realm", start as a vagabond/hero, e.g. Eder, explore, quest, join faction, rise ranks, become leader.

- Curiosity: A commercial 3D Printer+material/resources costs how much today?

- Banner tokens for locations controlled?

*Off-topic (though relatable to physical standees and physical goods) but I'm curious, how interesting is HoloLens or AR in the CG and Boardgame industry? Or too soon to say? I was just thinking the other day of how much space a board game takes up, or even cards, and how a HoloLens would take less space, and could fit an even bigger boardgame, cards, tokens, items, everything (across the entire room).

Edited by Osvir

In LOER, you are a leader not a hero. You sit back and direct your troops to go on adventures, but they can only be in one of two places: defending your city or adventuring/attacking. So no need to mark location when you just have to push your active cards forward an inch or two to keep them separate from the cards you are holding back. Once the adventure or attack is done, those cards get pulled back to the main army. Super fast and very clear about who is doing what.

There have been some AR type boardgames already. Sony had a CCG-like game called Eye of Judgment a few years ago that used their camera peripheral.

As a video game developer as well as a boardgame publisher, I'm naturally interested in the intersection between the two. There are a few boardgames recently released that require the use of a helper app (X-Com from FFG and Alchemists from CGE are a couple good examples). I think we're just beginning to see those types of games. I think Hololens will have a difficult time gaining wide acceptance in its first generation release but I'm sure you will see some attempts at boardgame-like applications. The technology will need to time to mature and come down in price before it's relatively common. There is also some resistance in the boardgame community at using technological aids, which I find fascinating.

• Like 1

In LOER, you are a leader not a hero.

Is it a card or is the Player simply a Leader, no more explanation needed? Or do you get to pick faction (and be the leader of it) or can you randomize it (e.g. in Dead of Winter you have a Survivor deck, during preparation, shuffle it and hand out 4 random survivors to all participants, and each gets to pick 2 to start off with~ of course, you could bend the rules and allow each Player to just pick 2 favorites from the get go too)? And if you get a faction, does each faction get their own perks, or do you win favor of various factions by the luck of the draw (towards your conquest to become "The Lord")? (Faction related card draw~?).

Pacing sounds simple enough, and all I can say about it is... looking forward to play wi... obliterate my friends  :devil:

I'm also not surprised that the boardgame community is resistant towards technological aids (two interfaces, physical+digital, awkwardness, and yet another item to fit on the board, as well as attention going back and forth). I just think that AR that will spawn from HoloLens technology is potentially a game changer in all industries, and that the interface (headset/goggles/glasses**) seems to be the right fit for boardgames and top-down games. Just look at the E3 HoloLens demonstration, they made MineCraft almost look like a boardgame ;) Otherwise, HoloLens (Again, or other future spawned sophisticated AR headset)+3D Printer in combination with one another sounds like something that could bump efficiency in making standees* or other assets/props for boardgames?

........... if you're reading this Microsoft, through some algorithm (highly unlikely, I know), gently pass Zero Radius a HoloLens and see what they can do.

o:)

* I managed to squeeze in some on-topic/title material at least xD

** In theory, a Player with a HoloLens playing a card game could "hold" the cards in his/her hands.

Edited by Osvir

In LOER, you are a leader not a hero.

Is it a card or is the Player simply a Leader, no more explanation needed? Or do you get to pick faction (and be the leader of it) or can you randomize it (e.g. in Dead of Winter you have a Survivor deck, during preparation, shuffle it and hand out 4 random survivors to all participants, and each gets to pick 2 to start off with~ of course, you could bend the rules and allow each Player to just pick 2 favorites from the get go too)? And if you get a faction, does each faction get their own perks, or do you win favor of various factions by the luck of the draw (towards your conquest to become "The Lord")? (Faction related card draw~?).

There are allegiance cards, which represent the various regions of the Eastern Reach that you are from or allied with. You deal one to each player randomly at the start of the game. (Or you can choose, if you have a particular preference and the group agrees to it.)

You are a Lord or Lady who is allied with that allegiance. You are not represented by a card.

Each allegiance card has a special ability unique to that allegiance and your starting building and army limits (which restrict the number of cards you can play, but those limits can be raised during the game).

Thanks! ^_^