Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

XCOM 2

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8942 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm not saying what they should and shouldn't do, just that I think they are wholly callous about continuity.

Kind of par for the course for this type of property. I mean, why did all my advanced tech disappear when I went under the sea in Terror from the Deep? Why am I shooting a harpoon when I had plasma guns and spaceships in the original?

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4686 posts

They like to build up to stuff and they haven't really figured out what that stuff is. Another enemy type obviously, the enemy of the elders. 

But it's not unlike writing for a TV show and they have no idea what the second season is going to be, they just want a cliffhanger. 

• Tale likes this

ktchong

ktchong

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 198 posts

Wait... people actually read novels written for video games??!?

Edited by ktchong, 11 October 2018 - 10:43 AM.

• Wormerine likes this

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10865 posts
  • Steam:Tale
  • PSN Portable ID:Taleroth
  • Kickstarter Backer
I tried a few times. I've got Stolen Throne for Dragon Age (I've heard around that Gaider admits it was accepted without any editting) and Arthas for World of Warcraft (I had to put it down when it started reading like a WoW RP session).

melkathi

melkathi

Teddy Bear Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3349 posts
  • Steam:melkathi
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
XCOM 2 was planned as an alternate story to XCOM, rewriting what happened. It never was planned with any sort of continuity in mind.
The novel was written to show people the events leading up to XCOM 2.
There is a difference. You can't draw conclusions from the first to the second.

melkathi

melkathi

• Members
  • 3349 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I read the dragon age ones. First one was meh, trying to name drop a lot to include stuff people would see in the game. It created inconsistencies that shouldn't have been there when written by the guy writing the game.
Second one was terrible.

Read some Deus ex novel. Was OK.

StarCraft stuff I read was surprisingly fun.

XCOM 2 was commissioned by a writer who would have nothing to do with the game. When the game came out it showed.
War of the Chosen at least brought the Lost into the game that were interesting in the novel.

Vaeliorin

Vaeliorin

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 620 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I finished all the Legacy Ops. While Shen's was the best (<3 Lily), the end of the final one was great.  All of them are good though.  I really like the way they did the storytelling/narration in them.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Legacy Ops aren't really canon.  They're just Bradford telling stories to recruits/random people post-war.

Wormerine

Wormerine

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2572 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Ha! Didn’t even knew that there was an XCOM novel. Not gonna touch it.

I think streamer BeagleRush really nicely summarised Legacy Ops: Drunk Bradford’ stories. Lore wise, they are idiotic and don’t make any sense - enemies which were supposed to be new in main campaign show up (even avatars!), plasma weapons simply show up in your hands. Stories are somewhere between amusing and cringey (going through the 2nd one right now). Lovely to see old maps, and classic assets. The missions are actually more entertaining as they are better balanced than your usual campaign.

melkathi

melkathi

• Members
  • 3349 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Well, after Shen fixes the airship and XCOM Starts recruiting, they find Bradford hiding at the bottom of a bottle, so that would make sense :p

ktchong

ktchong

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 198 posts

So, in the final campaign of the new Tactical Legacy "prequel" DLC, you play two NPC (out of a squad) who would later die in the tutorial of the original XCOM 2 game.  Those two characters, Peter Osai and Ana Ramirez, became so powerful at the end of the DLC that it makes absolutely no sense for them to be killed by a bunch of ADVENT grunts at the  beginning of  XCOM.

Also, Jane Kelly (a starting character whom you got to keep if you played through the tutorial in the main game) has the set nickname "Quiet" in the DLC.  Yet she gets a different randomly-generated nickname in every different playthrough of the original game.  Unlike Elena "Outrider" Dragunova and Pratal "Mox", who are also hero/story characters that have the same nicknames in every game.  (I will rename Jane Kelly's nickname to "Quiet" every time from now on.)

This new DLC proves that  Faraxis did not have a grand plan for all the DLC ahead of time.  So of course they have to retcon everything.

Edited by ktchong, Today, 12:15 PM.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8942 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
That's awesome that they included those three in the fun free DLC missions. :)

ktchong

ktchong

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 198 posts

Also, the pacing of the new DLC is rather poor,  These new campaigns are overall shorter but harder than the main campaign with all the DLC, and you can play them ONLY in Ironman Mode.   However, you unlock weapons, armors and other bonuses that you can use in the main campaign.  Those bonus items are mostly starting-level items, but they are better than the default starting-level items in the main campaign.  Which means, first-time players should play through the Legacy Tactical campaigns BEFORE the main campaign - so you get those bonuses.  However, the Legacy campaigns is more difficult than the main campaign.  It does not even make sense.

Edited by ktchong, Today, 12:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users