XCOM 2

ktchong

XCOM stands up pretty well compared to the original. It's only at the strategic level (base building and UFO interception) and in terms of overall story that it is inferior to the original game.

The original had more complex hit/miss mechanics and shots that kept going until they hit something or left the area, damaging anything they hit according to their damage roll and some things were easier to shoot through than others. XCOM essentially only allowed explosives to reliably remove cover and you couldn't even target anything non-hostile with normal weapons.

I think it is somewhat sad that with so many teams trying to create spiritual successors to the original and each and every one comes up lacking in some way, even the official sequels, though Terror from the Deep was pretty much the same game without the difficulty bug and horrible, nightmarishly anthropomorphized lobsters.  :aiee:

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I thought TftD had quite a large difficulty jump from the first game, and I found the tech tree less intuitive.

The lobsters where cool though.

Edited by Fardragon

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

XCOM stands up pretty well compared to the original. It's only at the strategic level (base building and UFO interception) and in terms of overall story that it is inferior to the original game.

The original had more complex hit/miss mechanics and shots that kept going until they hit something or left the area, damaging anything they hit according to their damage roll and some things were easier to shoot through than others. XCOM essentially only allowed explosives to reliably remove cover and you couldn't even target anything non-hostile with normal weapons.

I think it is somewhat sad that with so many teams trying to create spiritual successors to the original and each and every one comes up lacking in some way, even the official sequels, though Terror from the Deep was pretty much the same game without the difficulty bug and horrible, nightmarishly anthropomorphized lobsters.  :aiee:

UFO: Extraterestials Gold Edition came pretty close. And yes, it has the good old hit/miss mechanic.

And even the Aftermath/Aftershock/Afterlight trilogy had a lot of things going for it (though also a lot of bugs going against it). At least though they tried to give a deep tactical gameplay.

I need to play a bit more Xenonauts.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

• 4 weeks later...

New gameplay footage:

Plz tag it as spoilers, you've linked an edited video that removes the interview sound, and it has some "lore" information that perhaps not everyone wants to know. If you want to see the interview with this video, link is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un9YdJl5-uk&list=PLZFu0NLnbVtMQVQh3w3aUf6Ej5o0VOO4I&index=25

Edited by Darkpriest

I think it is somewhat sad that with so many teams trying to create spiritual successors to the original and each and every one comes up lacking in some way, even the official sequels, though Terror from the Deep was pretty much the same game without the difficulty bug and horrible, nightmarishly anthropomorphized lobsters.  aiee.gif

UFO: Extraterestials Gold Edition came pretty close. And yes, it has the good old hit/miss mechanic.

And even the Aftermath/Aftershock/Afterlight trilogy had a lot of things going for it (though also a lot of bugs going against it). At least though they tried to give a deep tactical gameplay.

I need to play a bit more Xenonauts.

I tried UFO: Extraterestials, if I remember well you start with only 6 party members per mission (or was it 8) compared to UFO's 14 but aliens still one shot your dudes.

I didn't enjoy it much. Also it s graphics and UI made it clunkier to play than both UFO and Xenonauts.

I also played 2 out of 3 of those AfterXYZ games, they are cool but still not good enough.

At this point I only consider Open Xcom, Xenonauts (possible with some mods as well) and Xcom EW with Long War to be worth of playing.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks interesting.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 3 years later...

I can't believe this has been already so many years. hah. It seems Firaxis are delivering goodies for a really good game for free:

My gut tells me, that are checking the hype levels and are prepping for some new XCOM game.

The 80s synth like music sounds amazing imo

Edited by Darkpriest
  • Like 3

lol, nice necro'ing of a thread from 3 years ago.

I was pretty surprised that they're bringing out yet another expansion. Don't get me wrong, I love the game to bits, but there's only so many playthroughs I can do. Would much rather they started working on XCOM 3 at this stage. 

I'm master necromancer ;) I like to keep specific game threads going instead of creating a new one.

I'm going through the game for sure. The new items make it worth it to go XCOM again, and soundtrack will make it so much better.

I'm fairly confident, that this event is prepping people for a new product / hype train. They just want to get their attention on the franchise again, and with people being mostly positive on this free add-on (well console guys are not the happy part) they will probably drop some news on their new product - at least i hope so.

I'm ... Pretty sure that if this DLC were to either significantly delay or endanger future of other projects of the studio, they'd not release it. 'sides, if the next game is in stage of concept or early stages of programming, scripters, some designers and artists won't be able to particularly contribute to development anyway, might as well do something that'll help the company in different ways.

I am glad this drops. I am ready to dip back into XCOM. I am pretty sure they are working on XCOM3 - Jake wasn’t in charge of this content. They are probably keeping xcom in peoples minds, that’s all.

It’s a nice content to - adds stuff for those who are willing to replayed campaign, but mostly give new, shorter content to play through. We will see how things will go, but after I make my way through scenarios I might ditch XCOM2 and reinstall XCOM1 with long war. Not a fan of LongWar2, and vanilla firaxis XCOMs are far too scripted and predictable to be engaging on 2nd playthrough. I started one not too long ago, and got bored within couple missions. I wish there was a decent mod for WotC as its a pretty good expansion.

I doubt the next game is still in concept, Fenixp. The writers and artists had most likely mostly moved to the new project by the time we saw the trailer for war of the chosen.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

It's free on Steam right now.

post-173997-0-00992400-1539151349_thumb.png

Edited by SonicMage117
  • Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...