XCOM 2

ktchong

No remake for X-COM for Terror from the Deep, (as expected, as Firaxis' XCOM producer Jake Solomon had said in numerous interviews that he loved the first original X-COM but disliked/hated Terror from the Deep.)  Firaxis' XCOM 2 takes place in an Earth in which the alien invaders have won and taken over, and XCOM has turned into a guerrilla resistance force.

P.S. The comm central icon (on the top right corner) is animated instead of a still picture.

Edited by ktchong

Seems like a day-one purchase from what I've seen. w00t.gif

Bad idea. Xcom Enemy Unknown was a bug fest at release and for a few months later. And the infamous teleport bug was not fully fixed until the expansion.

Or a great idea, since we want more of these types of games to be made and the best way to ensure that is to support them at release.   :dancing:

I thought the teleport bug added a fun challenge.  :p

• Like 2

Not buying on day one doesn't mean not 'supporting' it, you know. I'd wait for a couple of patches and see how it is, might be broken or just poor or more of the same, after all.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Not buying on day one doesn't mean not 'supporting' it, you know. I'd wait for a couple of patches and see how it is, might be broken or just poor or more of the same, after all.

Publishers really only look at those first few weeks, because it is rare to have a title sell well over an extended period of time.  So yes, you are not supporting the developer nearly as well when you do not buy it at full price early on.  

If you enjoyed the original, I don't see why you wouldn't buy it early.  If you thought it was broken, poor, or got repetitive, then I don't know why you would care about a sequel.  

• Like 1

Developer should consider why people wait and see on their games, then, but too bad for them if people are careful with their money. Speaking of XCOM 2 (hrm, pretty sure it's not the second one :p), not EU, If the game is broken on release, it can be fixed and Firaxis is usually good about that, but not everyone wants to slog through buggy releases. It being repetitive or 'bad' in some other way, no one can know until they play it or wait for some other person to do it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

XCOM is on my personal top two list so far for game of the decade. I preordered that, so no reason why I wouldn't do the same for this one.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

It being repetitive or 'bad' in some other way, no one can know until they play it or wait for some other person to do it.

I think it's a pretty safe bet it will be in the same ballpark as the original.  Which some people loved and some didn't.  

Keep in mind I was responding to this:

Bad idea. Xcom Enemy Unknown was a bug fest at release and for a few months later. And the infamous teleport bug was not fully fixed until the expansion.

Which is pretty presumptive.  It's not a bad idea to buy the game early if you enjoyed the original.  

If you are buying a buggy version you are sending the developers a message they can release buggy games

Yeah, I'm sure they sit around and say "Our game is super buggy, but who cares, people will buy it" and then cackle maniacally.

The fact is the game was playtested a ton, and probably ran smoothly for a high percentage of buyers.  It is difficult to release a game without some bugs, in fact it is probably impossible to do so on a PC.  

But you are right, if it did not run well for you, then you should not buy it.  That doesn't mean everyone had your experience, or that it is a bad idea to buy it at release. 

If you are buying a buggy version you are sending the developers a message they can release buggy games

Well, consider the audience when you're talking of developers and buggy versions.... ;)

Yeah, I'm sure they sit around and say "Our game is super buggy, but who cares, people will buy it" and then cackle maniacally.

The fact is the game was playtested a ton, and probably ran smoothly for a high percentage of buyers.  It is difficult to release a game without some bugs, in fact it is probably impossible to do so on a PC.  

But you are right, if it did not run well for you, then you should not buy it.  That doesn't mean everyone had your experience, or that it is a bad idea to buy it at release.

And what do you think they do when their buggy stuff sells well ? Not seeing why it's a bad thing to wait a bit to see how a game's release goes, heh. I should have done that with Witcher 3 (about a week or so).

Have you been here in the past few years? The games industry says hi. :p

Have you been here in the past few years? The games industry says hi. :p

The past few years?  I'm pretty sure you mean decades.  Do any of you remember getting games to run in DOS?

• Like 2

well, it doesn't actual matter if you believe that games has gotten buggier.  if you believe day-1 releases is too buggy, do not pre-order or buy them on day-1.  if a significant % o' purchasers chose to refrain from day-1 purchases and pre-orders, publishers would change.  sure, more than a few developers and publishers would be hurt before the industry realized that consumers were genuine demanding more stability from initial gaming software releases, but the industry as a whole would change.

other than kickstarters, Gromnir has not pre-ordered or made a day-1 purchase since nwn.  our delayed purchases result in us playing games that is... better.  we get cheaper.  we get more stable.  we frequent get more content as well.

complain about bugginess o' games but do not change our purchase behaviour?  HA! publishers don't care if we complain but continue to pre-order.  our only meaningful leverage is to pay, or not.  we chose not

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Meh, it was fun and I enjoyed it despite the bugs so I'm willing to support the game and tolerate a few issues, if there are any, until they're fixed. 

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

The interaction between the simulated alien pathing with the Unreal engine's live line-of-sight calculations made for the lion's share of bugs XCOM had on launch. The "good" news then is that from what we can see, the design of those mechanics are pretty much unchanged in XCOM2, likely sharing most of the codebase, so that aspect of the game should launch in a fairly mature state.

P.S. For games like this which I strongly look forward to, I'll typically spend the first part of the day getting people's first impressions of it and reading a couple of reviews, then either buy a physical copy during my lunch break, or buy a digital copy when I get home. :p

Edited by Humanoid
  • Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I received XCOM: Enemy Unknown for free on Steam.  Then I played it for a few hours.  I liked it so much that I immediately bought the expansion XCOM: Enemy Within and all the DLC, and restarted the game.  So I have never really played XCOM: Enemy Unknown without the expansion.  I know Enemy Unknown has a lot of bugs, but Enemy Within fixed most of them.

The past few years?  I'm pretty sure you mean decades.  Do any of you remember getting games to run in DOS?

You consider that a bug with the game ?

I learned my lesson. XCOM was such a disappointment I doubt I'm going to touch another game claiming any X-COM (the originals, which i loved and still run on dos-box/gog versions) pedigree with a fire poker. No pre-order for me.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I happened to like the newest XCOM game.  Granted, it was my first foray into the series, so I had nothing to compare it to.  But I enjoyed it thoroughly (though I didn't get it until the enhanced version was released).

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

XCOM stands up pretty well compared to the original. It's only at the strategic level (base building and UFO interception) and in terms of overall story that it is inferior to the original game. Obviously it looks prettier. The games that came between the original and the reboot are all far worse.

One thing I remember about the original game was that the savegames where huge, compared to the size of my hard drive at the time. I quickly filled my whole drive without realising, then wondered why the game stopped working.

Edited by Fardragon

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!