Rise of Tomb Raider: To Be Released on the Same Day as Fallout 4

ktchong

Three points I want to make:

1. Personally, I prefer Fallout 3 over the  2013's Tomb Raider reboot.  In fact, XCOM: Enemy Within and the 2013's Tomb Raider are my two top favorite games from the past two or three years; (and both are getting a sequel!)

2. However, I was very disappointed by what I saw in the two videos.  Everything in them seems like a rehash of the 2013 reboot.  The gameplay does not seem to offer anything new or different from the last game. 

3. Microsoft's attempt to use Rise of the Tomb Raider as a "timed" exclusive - as the Xbox's answer to the phenomenal Uncharted series on Playstation - is very a bad business move.  Microsoft does not seem to get the point of having "exclusives", (which is why Xbox One has been hammered by PS4 in sales since launch.)  The point of having exclusives is to sell console by making sure people can't play those exclusive on anywhere else, ever.  No one would buy a console for any, ahem, "timed" exclusive.  I certainly won't.  Especially when people know ahead of time that the so-called "exclusive" will be of a limited "timed" and then be available on their preferred platform later, (i.e., the PC in my case.)

I will be playing this one on the PC.  I do not own an Xbox One and do not play to buy one.  I will never buy another Xbox again - Xbox has permanently lost me as a customer after my extremely negative experience with the quality and customer service of Xbox 360.  I currently do not own a PS4.  However, I plan to buy one later for Naughty Dog exclusives.  That is whole point of having exclusives: Uncharted series and The Last of Us are real, true, definitive, real exclusives, not some "timed" BS.  You can't play Uncharted and The Last of Us on any other platform.   I can't play the the PC.  I can't play the on any other platform.  If I want to play them, so I will have to do son the Playstation.  The same cannot be said for Rise of the Tomb Raider on the Xbox.

Seriously, Microsoft needs to up its exclusive game, and I am not talking about "timed" exclusives, or "console" exclusive, (meaning it is also on the PC,) or exclusive "DLC" for multiplat titles.  Those are BS, not exclusives.

Edited by ktchong

MS knows exclusives, but it took fifteen years to understand Halo isn't the only thing people clamor for. The moneybags in Redmond and a developer studio in Japan, as well as a studio in Texas have collaborated for this upcoming exclusive, which prompted me to finally get a new Xbox One. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB5DY7FTKN0

All Stop. On Screen.

I'm not interested in the Tomb Raider game specifically because it's a timed exclusive.

Number one reason I haven't even played the previous.

Okay, number two reason. Number one reason is I don't have a PC that can run it even though I bought it on sale a few years ago.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Remind me not to buy either of them.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Too many annoying QTEs otherwise not terrible. If a wolf bites you you will have to to a kind of threading a needle QTE on the game pad or die. If you don't have a gamepad it doesn't tell you what button to mash so you just die. This makes the wolves on the fist map easily the most terrifying encounter in the entire game. 

A bit short and if I remember one thing I liked about the original games I supposed it was the puzzles and the jump puzzles that didn't hold your hand. 

In the reboot a 'tomb' is usually a tiny room with a puzzle, none of which are hard but at least one is just impossible to time right. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Too many annoying QTEs otherwise not terrible. If a wolf bites you you will have to to a kind of threading a needle QTE on the game pad or die. If you don't have a gamepad it doesn't tell you what button to mash so you just die. This makes the wolves on the fist map easily the most terrifying encounter in the entire game. 

A bit short and if I remember one thing I liked about the original games I supposed it was the puzzles and the jump puzzles that didn't hold your hand. 

In the reboot a 'tomb' is usually a tiny room with a puzzle, none of which are hard but at least one is just impossible to time right. 

Really the short tombs and lack of really strong puzzles was my biggest complaint about the reboot.

I'm playing Tomb Raider not Cannibal Holocaust Raider.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I am aware that Tomb Raider reboot is a copycat of the highly-acclaimed Uncharted series.  However, I have never owned a PS3 or PS4, so I have pretty much missed out the Uncharted series.  I have thought about getting a Playstation for Uncharted games and The Last of Us, but all the other Playstation exclusives have very limited appeal to me.  I have too many games on Steam to keep me preoccupied. 

However, I have watched videos of Uncharted games on YouTube.  Before Tomb Raider was rebooted,  PC gaming had a big problem:  it did not have anything that remotely resembled Uncharted.  So the PC gaming was basically missing an entire genre.  The Tomb Raider reboot copies from Uncharted, but it essentially fills a void in the PC gaming.  Tomb Raider reboot is still not as good as the Uncharted series, but at least now PC has something that is similar.

So, like it or not, the Tomb Raider reboot series basically is a one-of-a-kind in the world of PC gaming.

Edited by ktchong

Neither of these warrant a day one purchase as far as I'm concerned based on the things we've seen so far. So the only date I care about is the date they go on sale for a reasonable price.

That's unacceptable, you will buy both games on Day 1  or people will  be forced to call you out as a  " fake gamer " ...imagine the shame  :aiee:  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Neither of these warrant a day one purchase as far as I'm concerned based on the things we've seen so far. So the only date I care about is the date they go on sale for a reasonable price.

That's unacceptable, you will buy both games on Day 1  or people will  be forced to call you out as a  " fake gamer " ...imagine the shame  :aiee:  

I will, certainly. Fallout on PS4 and Tomb Raider on Xbox--which is inappropriate and the wrong platform, said me, from 1996 on PS1. Twisted Metal was hella fun back then, though. 

All Stop. On Screen.

Seeing that trailer of only partially beautiful graphics with hardly any gameplay except "follow the corridor", QTE and "shoot a grenade", and an ever suffering heroine - I think I'll pass.

MS knows exclusives, but it took fifteen years to understand Halo isn't the only thing people clamor for. The moneybags in Redmond and a developer studio in Japan, as well as a studio in Texas have collaborated for this upcoming exclusive, which prompted me to finally get a new Xbox One. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB5DY7FTKN0

Septerra Core pimped up?

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Another sci-fi shooter? Seriously?  As if Xbox does not already have enough shooters.  If Halo and Gears of War were not enough to convince people to buy an Xbox, I doubt another shooter with a similar sci-fi setting would change anything.

And you bought an Xbox One based on a CGI trailer?

Edited by ktchong

I would be surprised if Tomb Raider doesn´t change the date, otherwise they will cry again how the game isn´t doing well. *rolleyes*

Not that it effects me, i don´t buy games on day one :biggrin:

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

I bought it because it was only $200 for a new system and two new games.  

*the trade-in promo is still active at GameStop, though the 'free game of choice with system purchase' from MS expired. The 500GB Halo bundle is $349, minus $150 for your old 120GB PS3 or 250GB Xbox 360. 

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

I bought it because it was only $200 for a new system and two new games.  

*the trade-in promo is still active at GameStop, though the 'free game of choice with system purchase' from MS expired. The 500GB Halo bundle is $349, minus $150 for your old 120GB PS3 or 250GB Xbox 360. 

I'm always tempted to take advantage of these deals, but I'm too much of a hoarder.  I can't make myself sell my old system "just in case".  Though I'm not really even certain what that just in case would be.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

In addition to Uncharted 4, I am more interested in this exclusive single-player open-world Western-style RPG that has a unique and interesting setting:

P.S. This trailer actually shows gameplay, instead of that Xbox title that is really just a CGI trailer.

Edited by ktchong

You know nothing Jon Snow.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!