PLEASE make this game online

I can think of a whole bunch of games that have suffered greatly because unimaginative developers (or publishers, more likely) consider multiplayer a must have feature. Mass Effect 3, DA:I, Civilization: Beyond Earth to name but three. It's not just the diversion of resources away from the core single player game, it is the "streamlined" (i.e. dumbed down) gameplay.

Also remember, there is a big difference between "having" multiplayer and having GOOD multiplayer. For example the infinity engine games have always had tagged-on-completly-crap-cross-both-fingers-and-pray multiplayer, and the EEs haven't been able to do much to fix it.

Edited by Fardragon
  • Like 1

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Even if it cost 5 million I'd rather see them stick to their guns and spend that on SP - it's not like there aren't places where the SP game could be improved.

• Like 1

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Multiplayer games pop up everywhere nowadays, and lots of them since the dawn of gaming. ARK, The Forest, Moonrise, Torchlight, Castle Crashers, Baldur's Gate, Infinity Engine Games, Project Zomboid? Just to name a few. Did it cost these studios 50 million dollars each to make Multiplayer, really? Genuine curiosity with a hint of sarcasm.

It isn't just multiplayer that OP asks, but NWN style multiplayer with GM mode. To make GM mode actually be worth while there should be quite lot things that GM can do, like for example changing maps, creating quest lines, editing and creating monsters/NPCs, etc.on the fly, and so on and so forth. And to make those feature work well and make game look same as PoE, there needs to be quite lot more work done. I made 50 million dollar estimation in based on my guess that making game with such features with such quality level that I personally would find to be high enough would probably take from Obsidian (and I mean everybody on Obsidian) about 3 years, which would mean over 40 million salary expenses (based on average game developer salaries in US and numbers that Double Fine and Obsidian have mentioned about subject), and because there are also other expenses and costs that Obsidian would need to pay during that time I just rounded sum to 50 million dollars.

Of course they would be able to make something with smaller budget, but in my opinion it would not be worth it, because it would mean less resource in making single player experiences which I personally find more enjoyable anyway and which don't need same amount polish and ability edit assets, etc. as multiplayer with GM mode (in my opinion/estimate).

• Like 1

I'm glad they didn't tack on multiplayer. To me POE is best experienced as a personal journey. Besides, multiplayer was cooler in 90's when your buddy came to your house and you sat on the couch playing split screen or when you'd go down to the arcades to compete and mingle with the folks. Miss the physical interaction of multiplayer before the internet boom.

• Like 1

I'm glad they didn't tack on multiplayer. To me POE is best experienced as a personal journey. Besides, multiplayer was cooler in 90's when your buddy came to your house and you sat on the couch playing split screen or when you'd go down to the arcades to compete and mingle with the folks. Miss the physical interaction of multiplayer before the internet boom.

Or bringing your whole computer over to your friend's house and connecting them with an Ethernet crossover cable so you are sitting facing each other, and you can read each others' expressions but not see what's on each others' screens.

I was part of a group of four that played IWD MP every Sunday morning for several hours - it was a high RP game - any discussion had to be "in character" and at that time the only option we had for discussion was in game text so conversation was pretty slow -  if more than one of us was missing we played an alternate adventure but that was pretty rare - when we finally gave the group up six months later we had only progressed to Dragons Eye - at that rate it would probably take several years to finish IWD and perhaps a decade to get through the expansions as well -  -_-

Maybe not Pillars of Eternity, but Pillars of Eternity 2 with Multiplayer* would be awesome! I'd love to play with tons of people here, or with some of my mates :) It's a perfect type of game brand/IP for it too, with tons of RP options for it. MP didn't ruin any of the IE games, it made them better and more user accessible (i.e. more customers and more copies sold).

- Massive Multiplayer Online (MMO) = 100'000+ Players.

- Multiplayer (MP) = 1-6 Players. 

See the difference ffs. Bringing in MMO's into this discussion is ignorant and nonchalant. Or troll. It doesn't have a place in here.

What you are referring to has nothing to do with what was asked for, really. OP was talking about user tools to create persistent worlds á la NWN. I don't think many would be actively opposed to IE-like MP. I would question it, but ultimately, I'd let out a large meh over it.

But MMO-ness or persistent worlds, custom maps? Yeah, no.

t50aJUd.jpg

I was part of a group of four that played IWD MP every Sunday morning for several hours - it was a high RP game - any discussion had to be "in character" and at that time the only option we had for discussion was in game text so conversation was pretty slow -  if more than one of us was missing we played an alternate adventure but that was pretty rare - when we finally gave the group up six months later we had only progressed to Dragons Eye - at that rate it would probably take several years to finish IWD and perhaps a decade to get through the expansions as well -  -_-

Is this is an argument against MP, or is it a statement simply saying "Playing several hours, once a week, makes the experience take longer"? Compare with any Multiplayer game out there, or even Singleplayer game. How far would you have gotten in Dragon Age using this method, in 6 months? Or in Witcher? Mass Effect? Diablo? Darklands? Wizardry? Etc. etc.

Me and my friend got to Chapter 6 in Baldur's Gate in about 1~2 weeks time. Of course, we were only 2, you were 4.

Edited by Osvir

Is this is an argument against MP, or is it a statement simply saying "Playing several hours, once a week, makes the experience take longer"? Compare with any Multiplayer game out there, or even Singleplayer game. How far would you have gotten in Dragon Age using this method, in 6 months? Or in Witcher? Mass Effect? Diablo? Darklands? Wizardry? Etc. etc.

Me and my friend got to Chapter 6 in Baldur's Gate in about 1~2 weeks time. Of course, we were only 2, you were 4.

It was a comment relating to the two comments before it on the experience I had with the tacked on MP mode of the IE games and my overall reaction to it  -_-

Reading through the comments is kinda frustrating, as only about 2 people, seem to fully understand what Im even asking for. And this is not meant as putting anyone down, since more than 50% are way off, what Im talking about, I musst have screwed up explaining it somehow.

What I would like:

"Hundreds of tiny homemader servers, with room for between 20 and 80 players. Each with their own distinct flavour and style. From serious RP servers, where constant roleplaying was demanded and ruining other peoples experience resulted in immidiate bans, to free for all action servers where raiding and levelling were the only goals." (thank you TMZuk)

A SLOWLY devloped toolset, that would support players making their own mods

A DM client

A multiplayer game based on a D&D ruleset and the aurora engine (ruling out very many of the games you mention, I should ask for the same)

What I wouldnt mind, as an alternative:

A co-op option

What I dont want:

Constant updates for the additions

Support of any kind that is not paid for

No bioware servers running anything but a gateway to private servers

Nothing that looks like any mmo we have seen (the reason I even mention them, is because I find they are the only MP RPG option avaliable, which is very unfortunate) 

Reading through the comments is kinda frustrating, as only about 2 people, seem to fully understand what Im even asking for. And this is not meant as putting anyone down, since more than 50% are way off, what Im talking about, I musst have screwed up explaining it somehow.

What I would like:

"Hundreds of tiny homemader servers, with room for between 20 and 80 players. Each with their own distinct flavour and style. From serious RP servers, where constant roleplaying was demanded and ruining other peoples experience resulted in immidiate bans, to free for all action servers where raiding and levelling were the only goals." (thank you TMZuk)

A DM client

A multiplayer game based on a D&D ruleset and the aurora engine (ruling out very many of the games you mention, I should ask for the same)

A co-op option

What I dont want:

Nothing that looks like any mmo we have seen (the reason I even mention them, is because I find they are the only MP RPG option avaliable, which is very unfortunate) 

Call me crazy but I fail to see how anything on this list relates to PoE or apparently Obsidian either????

What I would like:

A DM client

A co-op option

What I dont want:

Again, I think most everyone has understood what you're talking about, what you want, and most have also explained that that's not at all what they want, or otherwise explained to you why what you want isn't feasible, realistic, or compatible with what you want.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

While I would buy such a game if it existed (I'm totally up for Neverwinter Nights 3), making such a thing would not be a small undertaking.  And the fact that there hasn't been a major attempt at that kind of game in nearly a decade suggests that it's not perceived as a big enough market to justify the development cost.  Now, granted, they could be wrong, since Divinity: Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity have proven that there's still a market for isometric RPG's.

Just out of curiosity, XPerNX, did you actually try creating a module in NWN, or did you just play stuff other people had created? Because you don't seem to have the foggiest notion of how a toolset works (or even what it is, really).

• Like 1

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

For a tool set, you have to build your game from the ground up with that in mind.

I do a little bit of on-off Elder Scrolls modding (Morrowind, Skyrim), and Bethesda actually does this: They provide an editor, they create all of their graphics assets, their games systems, their scripts, with the goal that you can easily snap stuff together, paint over the edges with some clutter and dirt, and create your own level. It's (fortunately) not online, so you have to create single player stories, but it's very enlightening to see what such an approach takes (and how complex it is to create a decent mod). NWN got a lot of flak for its rectangular graphics which were the result of just the same: building your game so that a user can snap blocks together and get a level.

That has to be done right from the start. And not just level design - scripts and dialogue and "DM intervention" and editor and UI and networking capabilities and and and.

You cannot just graft these things onto an existing game.

• Like 1

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

The NWN editor was easier to use than Elder Scrolls, pretty much like building with lego. You could get things to look pretty decent (at least better than the OC) by playing with the lighting. You had to tailor your ideas to suit the available tiles though.

There are only three ways to make enough profit for next big project :1 make POE on console; 2 make POE on tablet;  3 make POE online.

Which way is the easiest one?

Edited by bronzepoem

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

There are only three ways to make enough profit for next big project :1 make it on console; 2 make it on tablet;  3 make it online.

1. Hahahahaahahahaha.
  2. Bwaaaaaa hahahahahahaahahaha.
  3. Ooha ha hahahahahahahah.

If forced to pick, probably #2, but oh lord what a waste of resources.

t50aJUd.jpg

OP, just buy Sword Coast Legends.

That isn't going to do it. There is imo no one working on this. If someone should be it should be from the direction of WotC. Really the closest thing I see to what was listed is some of the newer survival games. Not fantasy, but actually checks a number of the boxes.

Really enjoying this game a ton, actually it looks like what Ive been waiting for, for like 10 years since Neverwinter Nights. Im surprised not to hear an outcry to make this game online, like the legandary NWN, and I´m shocked to read some people wouldn´t think it suited for online play. Its perfect for online, no less!

This game could become way better, than any of those stupidly easy wow clones, we have been seing for the last many years.

If you opened up the possibility, for private servers like nwn had, we could finally have a true online RPG again, and not yet another wow clone where youre hand fed everything.

Please devs, make this game online, and give me and my friends the neverwinter we have been missing for years back :)

Maybe not make THIS game online, but have a game within the PoE universe online, with similar style and graphics and everything. Would LOOVE this to happen

Really enjoying this game a ton, actually it looks like what Ive been waiting for, for like 10 years since Neverwinter Nights. Im surprised not to hear an outcry to make this game online, like the legandary NWN, and I´m shocked to read some people wouldn´t think it suited for online play. Its perfect for online, no less!

This game could become way better, than any of those stupidly easy wow clones, we have been seing for the last many years.

If you opened up the possibility, for private servers like nwn had, we could finally have a true online RPG again, and not yet another wow clone where youre hand fed everything.

Please devs, make this game online, and give me and my friends the neverwinter we have been missing for years back original.gif

Maybe not make THIS game online, but have a game within the PoE universe online, with similar style and graphics and everything. Would LOOVE this to happen

I really hope not. I'm enjoying PoE, and the last thing I want is for there to be story-centric stuff spread all over the place in eighteen different places and products I'll never enjoy, let alone get into. The whole franchising thing has gone too far.

It is a mercy that Dragon Age decided to spin off into mediocrity so soon, because nowhere has it been worse in this regard than there, as far as I've noticed.

t50aJUd.jpg

There are only three ways to make enough profit for next big project :1 make POE on console; 2 make POE on tablet;  3 make POE online.

Depends on who is interpreting what's "enough" - that said of the three they have already officially crossed off console and online - that only leaves tablet but I suspect the game would have to be seriously reworked to accomplish that and even then is it really likely to make any sort of inroads into tablet gaming? Or is it just something that PC users might fool with when they were away from their PC.

Frankly PC only seems to be working just fine so why change it at all.