I recently bought PoE and was about to start playing it, but then the trailer for the 2.0 update came out. Now i assume you guys on the forum are more up to speed with what is changing in 2.0 than I am, so I would like to know if there is any need to delay the start of my play through for 2.0?

If I will be waiting, do we have an ETA for 2.0, or is that still unannounced?

2.0 seems to be bringing some pretty sweet changes, like individual stealth and party A.I.. If you've waited this long, I would suggest waiting longer.

Edit: Having said that, I think the game is already fun in it's current shape.

Edited by Marky
  • Like 1

2.0 seems to be bringing some pretty sweet changes, like individual stealth and party A.I.. If you've waited this long, I would suggest waiting longer.

Edit: Having said that, I think the game is already fun in it's current shape.

Pretty much this, yeah. Changes coming will make it better, but it's in great shape as it is.

• Like 1

I recently bought PoE and was about to start playing it, but then the trailer for the 2.0 update came out. Now i assume you guys on the forum are more up to speed with what is changing in 2.0 than I am, so I would like to know if there is any need to delay the start of my play through for 2.0?

If I will be waiting, do we have an ETA for 2.0, or is that still unannounced?

There are only two known changes that are very likely to have a significant impact on your character builds or party composition.

1) Perception will grant Accuracy instead of Deflection. Other bonuses will remain unchanged. This will make Perception suddenly very good for non-tanks (both DPS and CC), where it was previously mostly a tank stat. Now, my main is a tank with maxed Perception and fairly high Constitution, so the changes certainly won't break her. She'll be less invincible and more accurate, and I might not even change her stats if I were building for 2.0.

Also, I'm playing with all story companion characters who have predefined stats anyway (except placeholder custom adventurers until I unlock the companion I plan to replace with). So really, this change probably won't affect my builds or party composition. I'd say it'll affect you much more if your main or custom adventurers are DPS or CC with little or no current need for Perception. So, if you're concerned about this and want to start playing now, you can plan accordingly.

2) Stealth is currently party-wide, but will become individual in 2.0. What that means is that, currently, if you want to use stealth effectively for pre-combat positioning, you have to have the skill on all your characters, although it's more needed on your front line as they get closer to the enemy. In 2.0, you'll be able to build, say, a stealthy rogue, who remains stealthed to backstab even after your other party members are detected and combat starts. Currently, you'd have to invest heavily in stealth on everyone, especially your front row, to pull this off.

Other than that, there are enemy AI changes, but I don't know if anyone understands those changes well enough to plan builds and party compositions around them yet.

You can always start the game on Normal or Hard now, and, if the expansion happens to come out before you beat the game, and you realize you'd build your characters and party differently with the changes, you can restart on a higher difficulty. I have already restarted many times and played through the entire Act 1 a few times to optimize things based on new things I learn about the game, and I will tell you Act 1 is still enjoyable for me. I do want to move on this time, though :p.

I hope that helps you make your decision. Have fun!

• Like 5

The game was released March 26 so six months after game release would be Sept 26.  If Part 1 is scheduled  to be released before six months I think July or August would be a fair guess.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Well, you could speculate or you could have fun. Unless you like... have a life full of other really important things to do or something lol, I choose having fun over speculating. Could be part of the reason I don't have a life full of other really important things to do, but hey, I can play this game and also wear down real life goals like a fighter, slow but sure.

Just play now, no point in waiting for 2.0 when the current version is playable. At worst, the Perception change will screw up a tank build if you pump Perception for the deflection bonus.

I wouldn't even consider my tank build screwed up when Deflection is traded for Accuracy, seeing as it'll affect everyone, making tanks squishier (which they could stand to be, honestly, given how few enemies actually pose a problem for tanks), and I don't consider Accuracy a total waste even for tanks. I think the builds most affected will be non-tanks with low Perception.

Still, as you point out, no sense waiting around when you could be having fun lol!

Edited by Nobear

I'm in the same situation as OP. I have a few more quesetions (please try to avoid spoilers):

Do we already know if the addon will take place after the main story, or will it be parallel/right from the beginning?

I guess it would make a difference if the new companions would be available quite early or only in new addon areas.

If I start playing and later install 2.0/WM, will I be able to continue from my save game, or will I have to start over?

It may very well be that nobody can answer those questions yet, but no harm in asking, right?

I'm in the same situation as OP. I have a few more quesetions (please try to avoid spoilers):

Do we already know if the addon will take place after the main story, or will it be parallel/right from the beginning?

I guess it would make a difference if the new companions would be available quite early or only in new addon areas.

If I start playing and later install 2.0/WM, will I be able to continue from my save game, or will I have to start over?

It may very well be that nobody can answer those questions yet, but no harm in asking, right?

I haven't gone very far into Act 2 in the main game, so I don't know how the expansion story will fit, but the devs did say that the content won't require max level. I don't know if it will be ridiculously hard to do the expansion content first or not.

I don't see why it would make a huge difference if new companions are available early or late. You can always play with the companions you find first, or with placeholder hired adventurers, and swap for your favorite companions later.

Lastly, you will be able to continue your save game with the expansion. It is, after all, primarily geared toward players who have beat the main game, even though it's not necessary to have done so to explore the expansion content.

The only considerations I would consider highly important are the ones I laid out above, with tips on how to plan accordingly if that's important to you. That is not to say that we won't learn new things about the expansion that will make us want to alter our builds or party compositions, but this already happens to players in practice because the game is so complex and you are always learning new details about mechanics and various quirks that can cause you to rethink your builds, composition, and strategy.

Edit: My best advice, as I've mentioned, is to play the game now on a difficulty below PoTD (or on PoTD if you want a challenge). I find the early parts of the game remain fun for a few playthroughs, and this would especially be true if you are experiencing it on a higher difficulty the second time.

Edited by Nobear