Request: Scale Flanked requirement with Engagement Limit

Dear developers,

I would like to request that you modify the Flanked requirement so that it scales with Hold the Line and Guarding. I know the Wiki is often wrong, but it states that the requirement for Flanked is "Engaged by more enemies than engagement limit." The main reason I took the talent on my tanks is because I thought it would make it harder for enemies to flank me, but I have tested it and this is not the case. Does the wrong info on the Wiki reflect an outdated version of the mechanic, and if so, why was it changed?

If you look at the names, Hold the Line and Guarding imply that the original design intent was defensive. Would it not make sense for a fighter specialized in defensive techniques to be better able to guard himself against multiple opponents than, say, an untrained fighter or a wizard? Could we not imagine this fighter taking such a stance, and being so alert, as to better avoid being caught off guard or flanked?

From gameplay experience and a discussion on this thread, I have realized that the talent and weapon attribute in question have no practical benefit for my party, and very limited (offensive, not defensive) benefit for other players. Another way to help make these mechanics matter more would be to improve the enemy AI so that some (not all) enemies will actively try to leave your tanks for your weak members, even ranged, unless they are engaged by your tank. This might be implemented based on what behavior would make RP sense for a given enemy. For example, berserker or impulsive/aggressive types would be more likely to do this than tank-type enemies.

Finally, if the Flanked requirement is changed to scale, I would also suggest that Cautious Attack additionally raise the engagement limit by 1. I think it's fair for Fighters to be the best at this as part of their uniqueness, but this would allow other tanks not to be overly disadvantaged given my other proposed changes.

Sincerely,

Eugene

• Like 3

Alright, I am questioning the consensus from the other thread that certain enemies don't already behave as I requested. I thankfully decided to save a copy of my game where I'd gotten through the non-combat parts of Defiance Bay and had Hold the Line on my tanks. I also restarted from a very early save before I'd gotten the talent, and did not take it. Everything else about the playthroughs was identical, including PoTD difficulty, party composition, and formations. For the most part, both my tanks held the enemies as well as they had on the other play through. However, I could swear there was one exception.

In Raedric's Hold, on the play through without Hold the Line, a kith would periodically break free from one of my tanks. It seemed to mostly be from my paladin tank, but I'm pretty sure I remember one getting away from my fighter when he was only fighting one or two. Of course, it's possible that his engagement was broken. I didn't pay as close attention as I could have.

It would be nice, independent of my primary request to scale Flanked with the engagement limit, to know from a developer whether engagement is currently a mechanic that makes a difference in holding enemies in place, because it's hard to tell in-game.

This feature was already in the game, I am not sure which update and why it is removed, although I would guess that it may have been removed because lots of people have complained how over powerful tanks are, although in my opinion feature in question don't play very big part in how powerful tanks are. So maybe it is removed to make rogues and rangers more powerful against enemies.

This feature was already in the game, I am not sure which update and why it is removed, although I would guess that it may have been removed because lots of people have complained how over powerful tanks are, although in my opinion feature in question don't play very big part in how powerful tanks are. So maybe it is removed to make rogues and rangers more powerful against enemies.

Thanks for letting me know for certain that it was in the game and removed. The most common cause of wrong info on the Wiki I find is that it's outdated.

There are other ways to make tanks less powerful than by making one of their talents useless. In fact, I imagine that the upcoming change to Perception will have a greater effect on tanks not being invincible. I advocate for solutions that don't just fix balance, but maintain fun and diversity in gameplay. In light of this, please reverse this change, as it's no longer needed.

My other question also still remains, if a dev can answer whether engagement actually helps hold enemies in place or not. If not, Hold the Line and Guarding would appear to have zero defensive value.