[Class Build] TCS Speedrun Rogue - Stealth/Crit/Shadowing (+Video of my 2:18h run as a strategy guide)

Thx, you are right. I thought it would be the same bonus, because the copperland didnt seemed to give me any help in stealth.

Is there any list where you can see what attributs you need for the quests?

Without INT i would heave never came thru readrics hold.

Thx, you are right. I thought it would be the same bonus, because the copperland didnt seemed to give me any help in stealth.

Is there any list where you can see what attributs you need for the quests?

Without INT i would heave never came thru readrics hold.

You're welcome. I don't know of any list breaking them down, but the highest attribute checks I ever saw or read about in the base game were 19, and none lower than 11, so you don't get penalized for dumping stats for dialogue or scripted events. I'd like to know if they have added any higher than 19 in the expansion or not.

• 3 weeks later...

Woops, didn't expect this thread to surface again, so I didn't really check for new posts, sorry!

I need to re-examine my strategy to answer some of your questions, didn't play much Pillars in the last months and basically know nothing about the patch/expansion changes at the moment.

Some answers:

1) "Why didn't you slow down to show items?"

Well, it's supposed to be a speedrun. :)

2) I got the 10k gold at the same time when asking the Doemenels for the "Animancy Hearings" ticket.

3) "Why didnt you show us the real way to get these items?"

The description of my run in the youtube video says all that I can say about loot table manipulation: "In the first ~30 minutes I take advantage of the way Pillars is handeling its Loot Tables. You can guarantee the drop of certain items by resting until a specific day of the month, then opening a locked container / secret stash. The day of the month will determine the drop, provided the game has been loaded at least once during the play-session. That's one of the reasons I am saving and loading the game once in the run, right at the beginning."

So if you follow every step I take in the video, like save/loading once at the beginning, resting only when I do it, going to places exactly when I do it, those drops are guaranteed. Or were guaranteed, it might have gotten changed with the patching. I will verify that once I get the expansion.

4) "Why dont you say anything in this video? Some help would be fine."

My spoken english is very rusty and I didn't have recording equipment at the time. Also, it's quite distracting to talk while you try for a speedrun. I guess I could have talked over the video once I was done, but at that point I already had 300+ hours invested into Pillars and got a bit burned out.

5) "Perception now affects Accuracy not Deflection so my Rogue ends up with -7 accuracy so I get a lot of misses. I wonder if the OP or anyone has suggestions of an updated attribute spread for V2.x?"

My gut reaction would be to go for 18 Perception and 3 Resolve now. This might make it necessary to solve some of the quests differently. Most notably, the "Poison the Tribe Leader" quest needs Resolve 20 to finish it the way I do (you get attacked if resolve is lower). But to give a definitive answer, I need to redo the run first.

6) "The scene in 1:31:43 is not possible anymore in version 2.0 with stealth 11."

The Spore room was not possible with 11 in the old version either, you need Stealth 12 and at least +1 Speed on equipment. If I remember correctly, Stealth bonuses at that point of the game can come from: (+2) Boots, (+1) Resting, (+1) Sleeping with the prostitute at the 2nd floor of the brothel. So you need a base Stealth 8 to be able to clear Cliaban Rilag. At the time of the run I didn't know about the prostitute bonus, so it would be possible to cut even more time. I got a run with a Cipher below 2h, but wasn't able to beat Thaos.

7) "In view of this I am doing a PoTD Solo run rather than trying for TCS straight off so I can survive any surprises without having to redo everything. "

I did so many exploration and trial runs to prepare for the real run, it's the best way to approach a TCS run.

8 ) "Is this still a viable build for 2.0? If not, what are some of the alterations made?"

Need to experiment, will take some time tho.

Thanks for your interest in the build ;)

Edited by AllanonTM

3) "Why didnt you show us the real way to get these items?"

The description of my run in the youtube video says all that I can say about loot table manipulation: "In the first ~30 minutes I take advantage of the way Pillars is handeling its Loot Tables. You can guarantee the drop of certain items by resting until a specific day of the month, then opening a locked container / secret stash. The day of the month will determine the drop, provided the game has been loaded at least once during the play-session. That's one of the reasons I am saving and loading the game once in the run, right at the beginning."

So if you follow every step I take in the video, like save/loading once at the beginning, resting only when I do it, going to places exactly when I do it, those drops are guaranteed. Or were guaranteed, it might have gotten changed with the patching. I will verify that once I get the expansion.

The "random" item drop tables did indeed change with patch 2.0. Here is the first post on the main checklist thread that started providing updated info for 2.0 and beyond.

Good thing to be a solid rogue in real life, you only need 1000-10000 man hours of practice and or experience.

300 something odd hours logged into Pillars for the OP writer, not counting uploading videos and planning/thinking about the mechanics, is already close!

Edited by Ymarsakar
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've started to shadow the video but I'm running into trouble in Raedric's Hold dungeons. When you're about to free the acolyte, you need to sneak up and "single pull" one of the skeletons. I can't for the life of me pull this off - both come, or none. Even when one starts to "investigate" he never wanders far enough that only he will aggro.

I'm wondering if it's just a skilled pull you need to make (and I don't have the skill) or if with the 2.0 IA changes it's not possible to pull this off anymore?

I didn't find the time to play the expansion/recent patches yet, but as far as I can gather, many of the things done in this guide could be impossible now. On the other hand, you should be able to kill two skeletons with a blunt weapon at that stage of the game.