Update #99: Announcing the Expansion and Update 2.0

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706905&userid=17931&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post448884240

In The White March, you can also take Iron Wheel, which generates DR as you acquire Wounds (like Turning Wheel) -- but it's pretty high level, IIRC.

• Like 1

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Looks like the dragon Josh mentioned is called The Terror of the White March ... there's a wallpaper with it in the dark on Obsidian's Facebook page.

EDIT:

11887935_10153080400121593_6551565385026

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1

I feel like this is becoming my personal thread :p

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706905&userid=17931&perpage=40&pagenumber=6

For some reason, even when use of Per Rest abilities are toggled off, my party members love to cast poo poo from the Per Rest spells. Still gotta micro my level 12 Aloth because he thinks Adragan's Gaze is a Per Encounter ability instead of just spamming the 7 uses of Slicken he has.

Yeah I noticed that yesterday and have talked to a few folks about it.

e: I followed up and it's just an instruction set/data bug with a few individual spells (like Gaze of the Adragan).

Ah good. So will they recognize they can use level 1 and 2 spells per encounter once they hit the right level?

They don't currently, but they will eventually.

Not sure if "eventually" means "by the time the patch is officially released" or "in a future patch", but further AI improvements are welcome (especially if they are also given to enemy AI.)

• Like 2

Will we be able to still buy the expansion as an addon for our pledge for full price? I messed up and somehow completely forgot to pledge on expansion when it was time :(

I really would love to have the expansion on my Obsidian account as well...

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

just bought the game today, is patch 2.0 already live or still beta?

It is still in Beta.

is the expansion, white march part 1 already available or still coming soon? do i have to buy it or free?

thanks

Not out yet, will be released on the 25th, and you will have to pay for it (Backers could get it as an add-on, or as a part of a tier). Edited by Night Stalker

just bought the game today, is patch 2.0 already live or still beta?

It is still in Beta.

is the expansion, white march part 1 already available or still coming soon? do i have to buy it or free?

thanks

Not out yet, will be released on the 25th, and you will have to pay for it (Backers could get it as an add-on, or as a part of a tier).

If it's being released on the 2th (e.g., t-minus four days) then you'd think they'd have posted it on Steam for pre-purchase already, or at least an entry for it or something.

They said on Twitter there will be no pre-purchase for the expansion. It will just be up for sale on 25th August.

• Like 1

They said on Twitter there will be no pre-purchase for the expansion. It will just be up for sale on 25th August.

Thanks for the confirmation.

I'm as put off by "pre-orders" as the next person, but I just wish there was an entry somewhere.

Having a hard time parsing info. Noticed in post #401 that there's an allusion to level 12 for a certain fight, but I've been getting the impression that The White March part 1 takes place immediately after Act I, probably level ~7-ish.

Where in the story is the "optimal" time to play? Strictly story oriented (and as few spoilers as possible please).

The expansion is meant for level 6-7 characters and can be started shortly after acquiring Caed Nua and reaching Defiance Bay.

However, it includes some optional content meant for high-level characters. It also has an option to scale everything up if you elect to go at a much higher level than 6-7.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 2

The expansion is meant for level 6-7 characters and can be started shortly after acquiring Caed Nua and reaching Defiance Bay.

However, it includes some optional content meant for high-level characters. It also has an option to scale everything up if you elect to go at a much higher level than 6-7.

In particular, according to this

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/81218-pillars-of-eternity-the-white-march-part-1-areas-video/

all the areas in the white march* are for level 6-7 onward with optional upscaling, while there is a new area called Crägholdt in the Dyrwood which is probably only accessible in chapter 3 meant for high level characters and where there is no upscaling necessary since its supposed to contain a boss harder than everything in the base game.

Note that we do not know how the upscaling works; whether its binary (midgame / late game) or continous (set enemies to your current level above 6) no one knows.

* Stalwart Village and Durgan's Battery, which will probably make out most part of the expansion. Crägholdt is probably meant to enhance the third chapter content density, which is a good thing in itself from my point of view.

• Like 1

Maybe a stupid question, but Im interested will I be able to play the expansion with my existing character? I finished the original game.

Yes, but you will have to use your save from before the point of no return.

So basically, the expansion is... not a sequel to the story, but rather a side thing in the original campaign?

Thats a bit... disappointing ;p

Eder: 'Can I pet him?'

So basically, the expansion is... not a sequel to the story, but rather a side thing in the original campaign?

Thats a bit... disappointing ;p

White March will be more like Tales of the Sword Coast than Throne of Bhaal.

Yeh, I understand, good comparison.

I guess I Just wanted to see what happened after... eh. Maybe in pillars 2 :)

Eder: 'Can I pet him?'

I find it amazing that people think those who want actual disc are in the minority.

Some of us like our physical artifacts, if only because they are aesthetically pleasing. Others only have internet access through libraries or other public facilities, and so rely on physical artifacts.

My view is that Obsidian can put a flash drive in an envelope and send it that way, just so long as the expansion is eventually available for Backers who need physical access.

The administrative cost of preparing and mailing out physical copies would far outweigh the inconvenience to the minuscule number of backers who are hypothetically without internet access. It would be cheaper to buy that one guy in Phnom Penh a gift card to his local internet café. The argument doesn't hold water.

As for "we like it" – again I'd counter that it costs too much to be worthwhile. Obsidian should spend its time/money making games, not turning out bric-a-brac.

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

Guess yes, but I also guess the patch will release tomorrow with the expansion so basically you'd have but a few hours of beta play.

Tomorrow release?

Ah, that stinks. I'm in the middle of a Triple Crown run, but the average Perception of the entire party is like 7 or something, so that's not gonna work out :p

I'll just wait for tomorrow then and make a new custom party.

You can reset their attributes in any tavern as soon as the patch gets out, so don't worry.