Update #99: Announcing the Expansion and Update 2.0

Brace yourselves: Damage-type immunities are coming!

http://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/125232883136/hi-josh-im-greatly-enjoying-pillars-of-eternity

Yay! :D

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

http://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/125232883136/hi-josh-im-greatly-enjoying-pillars-of-eternity

Ok, although I think this sounds a bit misleading. I think many people wanted to have the ability to cast spells that give damage-type immunities, which probably still won't come. He only talks about inherent damage-type immunities for special enemies, as far as I understand his comments, so he didn't make a total u-turn on his design decision.

https://youtu.be/P3ALwKeSEYs

Variety! Sweet, sweet variety...

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Doppel--actually, damage-type immunity for enemies is something I wanted since day 1 :)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Yay, thanks for the update!

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Ah, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I welcome the change as much as you do, everything that screws with some tactics in some encounters and improves the overall feel is fine in my book. I would even love to see some CC immunities to mess up the no-brainer strategies of CCing until death.

Just wanted to highlight that josh isn't throwing his principles over board since he wanted to avoid buffs that trivialize content for the player. As long as there is no 'I win button' for the player that trivialize the gimmicks of enemies, I'm fine with immunities.

• Like 2

Ok, although I think this sounds a bit misleading.

What is misleading? The question asks specifically for monster damage immunities and Josh's reply is pertinent.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

What is misleading? The question asks specifically for monster damage immunities and Josh's reply is pertinent.

This may be misleading if you don't click the link:

You may interpret it as the player being able to get access to damage-type immunities.

I don't know, I can see that, but it seems mostly of the inherent vagueness of brevity. I can't really foresee a situation where someone sees that and *doesn't* click the link for more information, but if other people feel otherwise and Andrea agrees, I suppose he can always edit the message.

:) Great, Thank you for the update. Now I know to hold off a bit and wait for more news. (And install NWN2 Masks in the mean time). People talk about being spoilt... But managing expectations is not so hard/too much to expect. We will give you plenty of time to do a good job and I am quiet happy to wait...

Hey, guys. We aren't releasing news because we don't have any news to release right now. With GenCon and gamescom coming up you can expect some news over the next couple of weeks regarding the expansion. Also, once we get the video from the Comic Con panel, we can show that to you guys.

I am currently working on getting an Update 2.0 beta build together for you guys. That should be up sometime this week.

I know at times it can seem like we aren't posting information, but it isn't because we have forgotten about you guys. We are still working on the expansion, but when we feel like we have something more solid to talk about and show we will do so.

We are very appreciative of what our backers have done for us, but we don't always have the resources to update as much as we would like.

Thanks for the understanding and patience.

Will we be able to play the beta build?

Ok, although I think this sounds a bit misleading. I think many people wanted to have the ability to cast spells that give damage-type immunities, which probably still won't come. He only talks about inherent damage-type immunities for special enemies, as far as I understand his comments, so he didn't make a total u-turn on his design decision.

Personally, I prefer it that way. PoE is never going to have IE-style mage-chess, and I have learned to appreciate that for what it is. Giving players access to damage-type immunities would kind of throw things out of whack.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I prefer the game without spell countering as well. I just wished the battles were a bit more dynamic. Personally, I never tried to use CC apart from the really hard bosses in the late game, and I think it shouldn't be such a no brainer to use CC all the time. I think the game would be improved quite a bit if it wasn't as successful in some scenarios, so the possibility of some immunities against CC on enemies is an exciting one in my book. I also think its cheap when the enemies use it on me, so some talents that reduce their effect greatly would be appreciated as well. I think the talents that do this already in the game are too weak overall.

melnorme asked: So, what turned the tide in favor of implementing damage immunities in PoE? Will PCs and NPCs be able to acquire them with items/spells/etc or is it just for monsters?

Time and the increase of the damage output curve at higher levels.  Currently damage immunity is an armor property on certain creatures only.  If it becomes a status effect in the future, it could be put on player spells, items, abilities, etc.

http://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/125279970376/so-what-turned-the-tide-in-favor-of-implementing

Edited by Doppelschwert

Does the player really need damage-type immunities when there are already spells, potions and equipment that buff DR vs certain damage types? Happy to see that it's going to obvious enemies though, hopefully they will do something similar for CC targeting specific enemy defenses.

• Like 1

NWN 2 is much fun. Buggy as hell, but very fun.

Just like KoTOR 2, Alpha Protocol and Pillars of Eternity.  :ninja:

Uh....no. No, not at all. PoE is *nothing* like KOTOR 2 or NWNW 2 for bugginess. KOTOR 2 was *literally* incomplete--it was 3/4 of a game. It was an incomplete beta that LucasArts forced them to ship early. NWN 2 is almost as bad. Alpha Protocol is virtually unplayable.

PoE may have had some bugs--every game does--but to compare it to those three games (or to VtM:Bloodlines, which others have said and which isn't even from the same company) is like saying "Well, this pocket knife has a blade, it's just like a greatsword." PoE was a normal, unremarkable launch with no more issues than any other game launch, and with fewer bugs than some AAA title launches I've seen recently.

Edited by Katarack21
  • Like 2

Don't know what are CC\damage immunity you talking about.

Let's take fire damage and some, hm, drake.

Give the drake 100+ DR to fire - omg, immunity is here!

But what about CC? Oh. Let's give this drake some unbeliveable reflexes(or what that CC attacking) - voila, immunity to CC is here!

There is no need to develop the wheel. Some rebalance in spells\abilities\stats - and we've got all that immunities.

sorry for my bad english.

Sorry for my bad english.

But what about CC? Oh. Let's give this drake some unbeliveable reflexes(or what that CC attacking) - voila, immunity to CC is here!

There is no need to develop the wheel. Some rebalance in spells\abilities\stats - and we've got all that immunities.

It seems you missed some subtle things about how PoE works. No matter how much DR you have, 20% of the (minimum ?) damage will still be taken. So high DR does not equal immunity. On the other side, you might want to have a monster that is immune to charm, but not against fear. Raising its will save will make it immune to both, so that way you are inflexible. At the same time, there are some afflictions which can be gotten from abilities against different saves, so you can make the monsters only immune against packages of afflictions.

Immunities are a way more elegant solution to this.

It seems you missed some subtle things about how PoE works. No matter how much DR you have, 20% of the (minimum ?) damage will still be taken.  

Sorry!

Yep, i forgot this thing. My apologies.

Sorry for my bad english.

It seems you missed some subtle things about how PoE works. No matter how much DR you have, 20% of the (minimum ?) damage will still be taken. So high DR does not equal immunity. On the other side, you might want to have a monster that is immune to charm, but not against fear. Raising its will save will make it immune to both, so that way you are inflexible. At the same time, there are some afflictions which can be gotten from abilities against different saves, so you can make the monsters only immune against packages of afflictions.

Bonuses to Defense against particular afflictions/effects are already coded into the game. You can give a monster +45 defense against Charm and Dominate without boosting Will.

I'm all for niche cases of damage immunity, but afflictions are generally ambiguous enough in nature that immunity to them could actually be confusing.

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I'm all for niche cases of damage immunity, but afflictions are generally ambiguous enough in nature that immunity to them could actually be confusing.

But it would make sense. Why should I be able to play around with a Vithracks mind? But on the other hand, maybe it depends on who's mind is stronger... Buuuut what about mindless creatures. Made of stone or something. Does an animat have a will to bend? A mushroom thingy? Can I blind a bat creature or does it use sound? Can I sicken a desease pudding? Frighten a ghost? At least I would not be confused, if I couldn't.

---

We're all doomed