Update #99: Announcing the Expansion and Update 2.0

Must say I find the dev's lack of information regarding a date for the expansion/patch really strange. Most people seem to just want a rough date whether it's in a week or a couple of months. Also seems a really bad business decision to keep you customers in the dark. Just be honest and upfront and give a date - from a marketing point of view that's good if nothing else as it would build some suspension. But to say soon is just odd... and bad business practice.

• Like 2

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

It wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't just complete radio silence after. Josh has posted a few tidbits on other forums but after the "soon" announcement, there's been even less activity than usual it seems. 

I don't mind waiting personally, but using "soon" in PR, well... you kinda need to follow up on that.

• Like 2

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Personally, I don't need a release date just a log on current game balance to plan a few builds to at least keep me distracted but they really went silent after 1.06. So far it seems likely that they are holding everything back for the expansion. Any day now I suppose.

Yeah - just a date - "soon" is meaningless and unproffessional. I sure as hell don't tell my clients "soon" Just to confirm, I don't care if it's delayed - from a management side just look at what needs to be done - be conservative and then add on a week or so to address the problems that will undoubtedly come up. I'm ok with anything from 1 week - 4 months - just give a date! Especially as I have paid for it.

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."

Lord of Light

Someone said, that announcing the expansion and then being silent for weeks creates a "hype.". Maybe it is just me, but returning to that forum every day and finding nothing may create clicks, but it does not make me feel hyped in any way. It is just boring. It is so pointless. Why don't we save our effort and just lay down and die.

Edited by Lord_Mord
  • Like 1

---

We're all doomed

The moment they say anything other than "soon", the vast majority of the people (except the 10 of us who understand it is an approx estimate rather than a commitment; we're a minority) will start counting the days to the "projected" release date and vocally complain when it is not met.

I too, however, do not understand the radio silence. They could give us teasers that go beyond a partial screenshot on Josh's instagram. For example, sample new spells and abilities; sample balance changes (including ones that are still being tested and are subject to change; they could specify that in a disclaimer); sample new equipment; new screenshots; lore and concept art for new monsters (not all of them, of course; one or two)...

Just throw us a bone on a regular basis to kill the wait, you know?

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Must say I find the dev's lack of information regarding a date for the expansion/patch really strange. Most people seem to just want a rough date whether it's in a week or a couple of months. Also seems a really bad business decision to keep you customers in the dark. Just be honest and upfront and give a date - from a marketing point of view that's good if nothing else as it would build some suspension. But to say soon is just odd... and bad business practice.

I started NWN 2 to bridge the time till the expansion. Have to say: A splendid experience! What an underrated gem. 

Edited by Eisenheinrich
  • Like 1

I wouldn't have announced it in the first place. I didn't expect it very soon, so I was positively surprised, when they said it would come soon. Now it does not come, I'm here every day and I'm starting to feel stupid. It is the same feel I had with facebook, before I decided to finally delete my account. That's the opposite of a hype.

---

We're all doomed

'Don't expect any news before gamescom.' or something along that line is everything the majority here would be happy with.

I don't think anyone really expects a precise release date, but just a vague frame of time would be more than welcomed, even if its just excluding some interval.

But I'm actually more interested in how the release will work:

Will they announce some days before 'you guys, we will release it next friday' or will they rather just release it all of a sudden 'guys, it's open for download now'. That information alone would help tremendously, since I guess it will be the former but there is no way to be sure.

Josh has just mentioned on Twitter that CON has been changed from 3% to 5% endurance and health. That's a start!

• Like 2

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Josh has just mentioned on Twitter that CON has been changed from 3% to 5% endurance and health. That's a start!

It is indeed a start! Maybe while they're at it, they could make the special deity talents for a Priest less terrible (having the abilities be per-encounter instead of per-rest would help).

Someone said, that announcing the expansion and then being silent for weeks creates a "hype.". Maybe it is just me, but returning to that forum every day and finding nothing may create clicks, but it does not make me feel hyped in any way. It is just boring. It is so pointless. Why don't we save our effort and just lay down and die.

It doesn't create hype so much as exhausting, all-consuming madness.

Edited by gkathellar
  • Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I think con would be better if it increased health/endurance by a percentage as well as a fixed amount per level. Maybe it's easier to implement or balance by just slapping on a multiplier, but an additional flat bonus would make the attribute relatively better for casters and relatively worse for martial classes.

I guess it's a matter of preference though; should you be able to take more hits proportionally or should you be able to take a fixed number of more hits.

If they go with percentage based, I would think that 7% would be an even better idea. That way, you get 51% health if you dump con to 3, which seems more appropriate for someone with abyssal constitution and that would prevent people from dumping that stat all the way.

I started NWN 2 to bridge the time till the expansion. Have to say: A splendid experience! What an underrated gem. 

NWN 2 is much fun. Buggy as hell, but very fun.

• Like 1

Well, that was a rather **** move.  

I quote "Update 2", coming "very soon". 
I am pretty busy and despite being really excited about this game, and a backer since the start, I have only actually managed to sink 17 hours since the release date.

When you then tell us that the updated release is coming "very soon", I then decide to hang back until the new release to finished the game (more like, actually - get into it properly). 

So I wait, a have a few chances to play the game, but I pass those up, thinking... well they said "very soon".  
I have a chance to play the game again today....  and what am I doing now instead of enjoying the game, scanning through the internet to see just how "soon" this release is actually coming.  As I said, bravo.  (Why not give a release date - "This Fall" for example, or "more information, next month").  To state "very soon", and then leave it a whole month with nothing is fairly messed up?  Are you having technical problems?  Have you over promised?  (Or are you just really lousy at PR?)

• Like 2

Enhanced editions, if done properly, are not dime-store patches that get cobbled together on a long week end... ;) They are major efforts that are fundamental to the game...found out that the EE version of D:OS will probably land in November...!...so if you think you've been patient with PoE, just try and imagine yourself waiting on the Larian D:OS EE....!    CDPR started the EE craze with the W1, extended it to W2, and will probably carry it on with W3.  The concept is so smart & obvious that it actually hurts to try and imagine why it's been so long in coming to game developers (before CDPR & recent years.)  CDPR discovered that if you keep improving your game long after it ships it will a) sell at a healthy clip for far longer than it would have otherwise, and b) greatly interest people in your *next* game--as they'll expect similar EE treatment, etc.  It's a working strategy that pays practical dividends to gamers and developers alike.

But...if a company rushes out an EE that's half-baked and less than inspring--it can hurt as much as the opposite can help.  So, I have no problem with them taking whatever time they need to get it right--if they don't get it right then there's no reason to have done it in the first place.  Oh yea sure--I want the thing *yesterday!!!*  Heh... ;)  ANd I'd have had it yesterday, too...if only I had waited until the day after the release of the EE version to buy PoE...but no way in hades am I that patient....! 

It's very well known that I don't make mistakes, so if you should stumble across the odd error here and there in what I have written, you may immediately deduce--quite correctly--that I did not write it... :biggrin:

NW2 is great, in particularly Mask. My issue is that so far Obs reminds me of trying to talk to a young kid.

"How was your day?"

"Fine."

"When are you going to do your homework?"

"Soon."

Seriously unprofessional. Just give a date - be conservative by all means, but give a date, specially as people have already payed for the damn thing.

Lord of Light

Well, that was a rather **** move.  

I quote "Update 2", coming "very soon". 

I am pretty busy and despite being really excited about this game, and a backer since the start, I have only actually managed to sink 17 hours since the release date.

When you then tell us that the updated release is coming "very soon", I then decide to hang back until the new release to finished the game (more like, actually - get into it properly). 

So I wait, a have a few chances to play the game, but I pass those up, thinking... well they said "very soon".  

I have a chance to play the game again today....  and what am I doing now instead of enjoying the game, scanning through the internet to see just how "soon" this release is actually coming.  As I said, bravo.  (Why not give a release date - "This Fall" for example, or "more information, next month").  To state "very soon", and then leave it a whole month with nothing is fairly messed up?  Are you having technical problems?  Have you over promised?  (Or are you just really lousy at PR?)

Yeah, it gets slightly ridiculous now ... the lack of conversation between Obs and the community is strange, too. 

Edited by Eisenheinrich

NW2 is great, in particularly Mask. My issue is that so far Obs reminds me of trying to talk to a young kid.

"How was your day?"

"Fine."

"When are you going to do your homework?"

"Soon."

Seriously unprofessional. Just give a date - be conservative by all means, but give a date, specially as people have already payed for the damn thing.

Soon™ strategy is something that has worked very well for Blizzard.

Yeah, it gets slightly ridiculous now ... the lack of conversation between Obs and the community is strange, too.

It is vacation season and Obsidian don't have dedicate community manager(s) for PoE and this expansion isn't anymore part of their KS, but more traditionally published product. Which means that they probably will mostly give information about it through press releases (which they already did quite much with PoE itself).

NW2 is great, in particularly Mask. My issue is that so far Obs reminds me of trying to talk to a young kid."How was your day?""Fine.""When are you going to do your homework?""Soon." Seriously unprofessional. Just give a date - be conservative by all means, but give a date, specially as people have already payed for the damn thing.

Soon™ strategy is something that has worked very well for Blizzard.

It is vacation season and Obsidian don't have dedicate community manager(s) for PoE and this expansion isn't anymore part of their KS, but more traditionally published product. Which means that they probably will mostly give information about it through press releases (which they already did quite much with PoE itself).
Could work for blizzard, I don't really follow them. I loved the Warcraft games - in fact "Orcs and men" was one of the first computer games I played. I'm still waiting - probably in vain, for a sequel to the "Reign of Chaos, Frozen Throne" games. But MMO's leave me cold, including it must be said Dragon Age Inquisition. Back on topic, it really is not a major issue to communicate with your customers. I am not suggesting they hire someone specifically for the job. Just give a date - it's not particularly difficult, complicated or time consuming. Edited by rheingold

Lord of Light

Does suck that basically we funded the game that saved the studio yet they won't communicate with us. There are Twitter updates, Instagram photos and Something Awful forum posts but nothing in the official forums. Fool me once..

• Like 2

Hey, guys. We aren't releasing news because we don't have any news to release right now. With GenCon and gamescom coming up you can expect some news over the next couple of weeks regarding the expansion. Also, once we get the video from the Comic Con panel, we can show that to you guys.

I am currently working on getting an Update 2.0 beta build together for you guys. That should be up sometime this week.

I know at times it can seem like we aren't posting information, but it isn't because we have forgotten about you guys. We are still working on the expansion, but when we feel like we have something more solid to talk about and show we will do so.

We are very appreciative of what our backers have done for us, but we don't always have the resources to update as much as we would like.

Thanks for the understanding and patience.

• Like 7

Thanks! No news before gamescom / gencom was all we needed to know. :)

That there will be a beta is more than we could have hoped for as well!

Sorry for being overly impatient, but I guess it just shows how much passion we have for your game, so you did that right.

EDIT: Seems I can't write proper english sentences late at night. :o

Edited by Doppelschwert

Thanks for chiming in, Brandon!

Thank you, BAdler, we Backers have been a bit spoiled and do appreciate hearing from you guys.  I'm looking forward to both the new patch and the Expansion.  As  Doppelschwert said we do have a passion for this game and it does make us impatient for news.  It may sound like complaining but it is the complaint of love.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg