Update #99: Announcing the Expansion and Update 2.0

Update by Justin Britch, Associate Producer

Hey everyone. I'm Justin Britch and I'm the new task master for the Pillars of Eternity expansion. I have been at Obsidian for over two years now and have spent most of that time supporting the production teams all over the company. Bug reports, task tracking, and updates to production tools has been my life at Obsidian up until recently, but I'm excited jump into the fray.

Announcing the White March, Part I

We have an expansion to show you! Pillars of Eternity: The White March - Part I is going to add additional character levels, spells, talents, areas, items, and companions to Pillars of Eternity. The expansion will come in two parts, and backers who already purchased the expansion will receive both part I and II. We will be announcing the release date soon, but the part I is not in the far future.

pe-px1-trailer-580x326.jpg

New Companions

The expansion will include two new companions: Zahua (the monk shown on the cover of the game and formerly known as Forton) and the Devil of Caroc (a rogue). Here is a brief description from Eric and Carrie who are writing them.

pe-px1-companions-580x455.jpg

Zahua

From Eric Fenstermaker:

Zahua comes from an agrarian people known as the Tacan that dwells in the Ixamitl (ih-SHAH-mitt -ull) Plains to the north. (You may have known him as Forton once, but we renamed him to reflect his region of origin.) He belongs to the Nalpazca, a strict order of warrior-monks that constitutes the Tacan's standing army.

The Nalpazca distinguish between the material world and the imagined world of perceptions, feelings, and false structures, seeing the latter as the limiting force that prevents a person's transcendence. They employ extreme practices to remain ever-conscious of what is truly real, and are known for exhibiting bizarre anti-social behavior in public settings, consuming powerful hallucinogenic drugs, and inflicting great pain upon themselves, all so as to allow themselves to "see more clearly." There are even rumored to ritualistically cannibalize the flesh of the recent dead so that they might come to terms with their own mortality, though such rumors have the ring of superstition.

Zahua is the greatest living practitioner of Nalpazca beliefs, and even as you meet him, he is in continual pursuit of their ideals, which he believes will transform him into an unbeatable combatant. Above all, he believes in suffering as the path to enlightenment, and nearly every inch of his body is covered in scars - mostly self-inflicted. While some might see that as a grim or depressing viewpoint, from Zahua's perspective, suffering is a thing of beauty, to be admired and revered, and he is often able to appreciate situations that would dishearten most others. (Perhaps with a little too much cheer for some people's taste.)

The player will meet and get to know Zahua as a party member in White March Part I, and then his vision quest will come into focus later, in Part II.

The Devil of Caroc

From Carrie Patel:

The Devil of Caroc is a bronze golem inhabited by the soul of a convicted murderer. She's ruthless and relentless, yet something about the player piques her interest when they first meet.

The Devil was once a trapper in Cold Morn, a village that became notorious for its role in the Saint's War. When she and her neighbors let the Readceran troops pass through town unopposed, they became a symbol of treachery and cowardice throughout Dyrwood. The Purges that swept the country began in Cold Morn, and everyone the Devil ever knew perished when an angry mob burned the village to the ground. The Devil survived and sought revenge on the men and women who set her home ablaze.

She's still a rustic at heart, but her crude manners belie cunning and a cynical sense of humor.

Update 2.0 New Features

The White March is also going to introduce a few new features and quality of life improvement options. These updates will be given to everyone, not just people who purchase the expansion. Adam created a video showing off some of these new features:

pe-px1-new-features580x326.jpg

DVDs and DVD Updates

Note from Brandon:

Hey, folks. Paradox has informed us that they have shipped DVDs to all addresses on record. If you have not received your game DVD or an email confirming that your game DVD is on its way, please contact our support and we will get you in touch with a Paradox representative.

We are also putting the finishing touches on a 1.04 to 1.06 DVD update, as well. We hope to have that out to you guys in the next week or so.

• Like 20

Something not covered in the update/video because it's not a super high profile feature is that we can scale base abilities and weapons much more easily now, so things like Holy Radiance, Arcane Assault, and Spiritshift weapons/armor can become more powerful as the character gains levels. These updates will also be in the next patch.

• Like 31

Something not covered in the update/video because it's not a super high profile feature is that we can scale base abilities and weapons much more easily now, so things like Holy Radiance, Arcane Assault, and Spiritshift weapons/armor can become more powerful as the character gains levels. These updates will also be in the next patch.

not covered in the update were the anticipated changes to perception.  such a change would be a balancing rather than a new feature, so we ain't surprised by failure to mention. regardless,  can see clear from the video that 20 perception results in +10 accuracy and no deflection bonus.  is a significant change, no?

is any chance we get developer confirmation, and perhaps some small explanation o' the reasoning behind the change to perception?

thanks

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

not covered in the update were the anticipated changes to perception.  such a change would be a balancing rather than a new feature, so we ain't surprised by failure to mention. regardless,  can see clear from the video that 20 perception results in +10 accuracy and no deflection bonus.  is a significant change, no?

is any chance we get developer confirmation, and perhaps some small explanation o' the reasoning behind the change to perception?

thanks

HA! Good Fun!

An attempt to balance deflection stacking while keeping Perception as a useful pick?

Donald Pleasence.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

thanks

HA! Good Fun!

An attempt to balance deflection stacking while keeping Perception as a useful pick?

keep in mind, in an earlier beta build we already had perception modify accuracy.  did not take long to realize that perception had become functional a no-brainer choice for all roles and classes save for tanks and perhaps dedicated heal priests.  this change is seeming reactionary.

yeah, tank deflection is current too strong and perception is a relative weak attribute, but this is not new change, but more o' a return to an old state... and the old were considered a bit broken by the developers.  so, am curious 'bout the thinking behind the change.  am not against the change, but am curious nonetheless.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yes, we're currently testing internally with Perception granting a bonus to Accuracy and no bonus to Deflection.  Even during the final phases of development (pre-launch and after launch), there was still a fair amount of internal debate about the balance of Perception and Resolve.  At +2/point, it did seem like a really obvious "max on everyone" stat.  At +1/point, it still feels valuable, but not extraordinarily so (at least according to QA so far).

• Like 5

Yes, we're currently testing internally with Perception granting a bonus to Accuracy and no bonus to Deflection.  Even during the final phases of development (pre-launch and after launch), there was still a fair amount of internal debate about the balance of Perception and Resolve.  At +2/point, it did seem like a really obvious "max on everyone" stat.  At +1/point, it still feels valuable, but not extraordinarily so (at least according to QA so far).

fair enough. am curious to see how the changes impact actual gameplay.

to that end, with all the changes forthcoming, will there be a respec option?  am personal not the least concerned with achievements, but use of console not only fails to address all character modification needs but its use diables achievements.  

HA! Good Fun!

ps we didn't know that holy radiance needed a buff.  fully modified by the maxing of favored dispositions o' a chosen deity, holy radiance already strikes us as quite efficacious.

Yeah, +1/point doesn't seem like a "must max" pick. If Perception is actually modified, is there any chance of the companion attributes changing again? Specifically the changes made to the Intelligence/Perception totals for Aloth and Grieving Mother. I'm guessing that they were changed due to the weakness of the current Perception attribute.

Edited by View619

Great news :)

The only 1 question i have is: for the new story, you continue after main quest or you will have to restart a new one because they stay closed after the boss?

It will be before the final boss - but you don't need to restart - there's a savegame made automatically just before 'the point of no return' in the main game.

Thanks for rolling out the changes to those without the expansion too - for a few reasons (mostly money), I'll be waiting until part 2 comes out to buy both.

Edited by Silent Winter

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

HA! Good Fun!

ps we didn't know that holy radiance needed a buff.  fully modified by the maxing of favored dispositions o' a chosen deity, holy radiance already strikes us as quite efficacious.

Doesn't that only affect PC Priests?  NPC Priests might need the scaling.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

to that end, with all the changes forthcoming, will there be a respec option?  am personal not the least concerned with achievements, but use of console not only fails to address all character modification needs but its use diables achievements.  

HA! Good Fun!

I was just talking to Roby and Adam about a respec feature.  It's a little complicated, but it's not something we're opposed to and we're going to look into the logistics of implementing it.  I know that's vague but character creation and advancement are complicated and sometimes seemingly simple things are quite difficult.

With some of the new scaling, I've been tuning down some of the other means of powering up base abilities (like Talents).  Until now, Talents were one of the only mechanical ways that we could scale some abilities up.

• Like 2

HA! Good Fun!

Doesn't that only affect PC Priests?  NPC Priests might need the scaling.

am glad you bring that up, 'cause if we are speaking o' the need for npc priest scaling that they do not get from favored dispositions, one wonders if a similar boost for companion paladins is forthcoming.  faith and convictions bonuses from dispositions is a very powerful benefit for a pc paladin, particularly for a tank.  this benefit will actually be relative enhanced now that perception's deflection bonus has been nixed.  so, is there any option for scaling companion paladin faith and convictions?  we has suggested a talent or ability, but it would be odd that holy radiance would get a buff but not faith and convictions, yes?

HA! Good Fun!

HA! Good Fun!

I was just talking to Roby and Adam about a respec feature.  It's a little complicated, but it's not something we're opposed to and we're going to look into the logistics of implementing it.  I know that's vague but character creation and advancement are complicated and sometimes seemingly simple things are quite difficult.

With some of the new scaling, I've been tuning down some of the other means of powering up base abilities (like Talents).  Until now, Talents were one of the only mechanical ways that we could scale some abilities up.

again, thanks for the feedback.  if respec cannot be done without breaking the game, we understand, but no doubt you can understand the frustration more than a few folks will feel when they realize that their carefully crafted build no longer performs quite the same given the depth and breadth o' the forthcoming changes.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3