Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dex vs Resolve; Might vs Int, for ranged/spellcasting druid?

druid stats build creation

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Steam:mwise1023

The game recommends Resolve over other stats, however, for a Ranged Wood elf druid (Hunting Bow/Spellcaster), it seems Dex would be better (for action speed). Two things that keep me up at night (ha!):

1. Originally I was going for War Bow, because I thought it would benefit more from +% action speed than Hunting Bow (diminishing returns and all that). If I'll grab Marksman, Penetrating Shot, and Hunting Bow, should I invest less on Dex? (Or keep it high anyway for spellcasting).
  2. At char creation, I've maxed Might, followed by 15-16 Int--I've seen lots of conflicting recommendations (some max Int, I'm guessing to affect more targets from the get-go). How many stat points will I get as I level up, and would it be so bad to not max Int?

(Will be playing in Hard)

Thanks!

Heya,

Having just played a Druid through the game, who was a ranged character (bows/guns) but mostly spent the game opening with a spell and casting a 2nd or 3rd spell, at best, between attacks, I wouldn't bother doing a full spec of talents on ranged stuff. Instead, support other things with your selections. I went with marksman and gunner. I feel now that I wasted those two talents because while I did take a lot of shots with an arqeubus, it wasn't such a big deal, compared to wanting to use some of my big AOE spells more.

Might gives you more damage and more healing. Big deal there. I didn't run a Priest. Healing is super useful in harder difficulties. Early game on easy/norm you could play with zero heals practically. Even in hard with good micro-management you can get by with no heals with a well crafted group. But otherwise, if you're casually playing, heals are pretty nice to avoid a re-load. And a Druid gives you that. So high Might is great there. Plus it's usually AOE, so INT is important there too.

INT gives you higher durations and more area of effect. It's worth it. You don't need DEX. The speed increase is not much and not worth losing an attribute over. You'll find might far more useful over the course of the game. You'll find higher INT more important over the course of the game.

Any character can shoot a bow.

But only characters with spells (or a high Lore) can drop amazing spells. So you might want to ensure you support your spell casting and let non-casters worry about shooting stuff with their talents.

Very best,

• Khashir likes this

Khashir

Khashir

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

The game recommends Resolve over other stats, however, for a Ranged Wood elf druid (Hunting Bow/Spellcaster), it seems Dex would be better (for action speed). Two things that keep me up at night (ha!):

1. Originally I was going for War Bow, because I thought it would benefit more from +% action speed than Hunting Bow (diminishing returns and all that). If I'll grab Marksman, Penetrating Shot, and Hunting Bow, should I invest less on Dex? (Or keep it high anyway for spellcasting).
  2. At char creation, I've maxed Might, followed by 15-16 Int--I've seen lots of conflicting recommendations (some max Int, I'm guessing to affect more targets from the get-go). How many stat points will I get as I level up, and would it be so bad to not max Int?

(Will be playing in Hard)

Thanks!

Heya,

Having just played a Druid through the game, who was a ranged character (bows/guns) but mostly spent the game opening with a spell and casting a 2nd or 3rd spell, at best, between attacks, I wouldn't bother doing a full spec of talents on ranged stuff. Instead, support other things with your selections. I went with marksman and gunner. I feel now that I wasted those two talents because while I did take a lot of shots with an arqeubus, it wasn't such a big deal, compared to wanting to use some of my big AOE spells more.

Might gives you more damage and more healing. Big deal there. I didn't run a Priest. Healing is super useful in harder difficulties. Early game on easy/norm you could play with zero heals practically. Even in hard with good micro-management you can get by with no heals with a well crafted group. But otherwise, if you're casually playing, heals are pretty nice to avoid a re-load. And a Druid gives you that. So high Might is great there. Plus it's usually AOE, so INT is important there too.

INT gives you higher durations and more area of effect. It's worth it. You don't need DEX. The speed increase is not much and not worth losing an attribute over. You'll find might far more useful over the course of the game. You'll find higher INT more important over the course of the game.

Any character can shoot a bow.

But only characters with spells (or a high Lore) can drop amazing spells. So you might want to ensure you support your spell casting and let non-casters worry about shooting stuff with their talents.

Very best,

Thanks, MalVeauX--really great stuff! Yes, I've maxed Might and Int, so, that's taken care off ;).

I ended with the following plan: WF: Adventurer (benefits flails and wands--Rot Skull is considered a Wand), Weapon and Shield (more survibability if engaged in melee + vs. AoE), Marksman (also benefits Rot Skull), then + Flame/Lightning/Corrode damage (or Superior Deflection/Cautious Attack, more likely). 

From what I've gathered, the +bonus spells aren't that great, and you don't really need more than 2-3 +Elemental damage. The thought was that the only talents that really support spellcasting (and are worthwhile) are the +Damage, and you don't need all of them. So, I've focused the other talents to either increase survibability, or increase damage output in the early levels, while I don't have per-encounter spells. At the same time, the talents I picked for the latter also benefit Rot Skull, which apparently is very good, so, they don't go completely go to waste.

Any additional feedback welcome!

Edited by Khashir, 26 June 2015 - 11:28 AM.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Steam:mwise1023

Thanks, MalVeauX--really great stuff! Yes, I've maxed Might and Int, so, that's taken care off ;).

I ended with the following plan: WF: Adventurer (benefits flails and wands--Rot Skull is considered a Wand), Weapon and Shield (more survibability if engaged in melee + vs. AoE), Marksman (also benefits Rot Skull), then + Flame/Lightning/Corrode damage (or Superior Deflection/Cautious Attack, more likely). 

From what I've gathered, the +bonus spells aren't that great, and you don't really need more than 2-3 +Elemental damage. The thought was that the only talents that really support spellcasting (and are worthwhile) are the +Damage, and you don't need all of them. So, I've focused the other talents to either increase survibability, or increase damage output in the early levels, while I don't have per-encounter spells. At the same time, the talents I picked for the latter also benefit Rot Skull, which apparently is very good, so, they don't go completely go to waste.

Any additional feedback welcome!

Heya,

Just a thought, but as you get past level 9 or so, those early spells become per encounter, instead of requiring you to rest. It makes those early spells become spammable in a lot of areas mid and late game, where you end up with 5 or 6 battles per map, small scale battles, where you are not wanting to blast your best spells for easy trash mobs, but it's really nice to have a truck-load of per encounter low level spells. At least, unless I'm mixing this up with a Wizard, someone will have to correct me here if I'm wrong.

So those +spell talents early on, equate to more casting with less resting.

And late game, those +spell talents equate to more casting per encounter.

Just a thought!

That means mid-game at level 9 (or late game depending on how fast you progress), you get things like Dancing Bolts (AOE lighting damage vs Reflex), Nature's Mark (AOE condition drain making them easier to hit and easier to effect with conditions), Nature's Vigor (minor heal and endurance buff that effects whole party), Sunbeam (AOE damage and blind), Vile Thorns (AOE damage and sickened condition), Winter Wind (Cone AOE, 50 damage, with a push effect); all become per encounter. And these are great spells even though they are level 1. They still have a lot of utility in the late game. So you're not always stuck with 1 or 2 really "good" spells.

Granted, the +spell talents probably are not worth it, there are items that grant this.

So some other talents can be very useful, like mental fortress. And if you're really tweaking your characters, as much as people might think Arms Bearer or Quick Switch is bad, getting more quick slots is kind of important in harder difficulties late game, where you want specialized weapons with +damage versus Vessels/Spirits, or versus Kith, etc.

As much as it might be a waste, I think Mental Fortress, Body Control, etc can be useful.

And on that note, there's actually nothing wrong with Ghost Hunter & Sanctifier late game, those stack with weapons with bonuses against vessels & spirits too. Makes for a much easier experience versus those shades, phantoms, spirits, etc, which are annoying fights for everyone, especially early and late game (seems mid game there are next to none).

Very best,

• Khashir likes this

lameover

lameover

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 217 posts

You don't need Con or Per.

In early(till 5-6level) game spiritshifting is really good in Cat form. You'll benefint more from +dex with it.

You'll produce enormous dps in Cat form, compared to your companions.

Res will give you more options in dialogues and you'll benefit from Res in Cat form as well.

So:

Stats (Wood Elf, the Old Vailia bonus included)

M 18

C 3

D 19

P 4

I 19

R 15

You can take 1 point from Dex and Int to put in Res.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: druid, stats, build, creation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users