Dex vs Resolve; Might vs Int, for ranged/spellcasting druid?

The game recommends Resolve over other stats, however, for a Ranged Wood elf druid (Hunting Bow/Spellcaster), it seems Dex would be better (for action speed). Two things that keep me up at night (ha!):

1. Originally I was going for War Bow, because I thought it would benefit more from +% action speed than Hunting Bow (diminishing returns and all that). If I'll grab Marksman, Penetrating Shot, and Hunting Bow, should I invest less on Dex? (Or keep it high anyway for spellcasting).
  2. At char creation, I've maxed Might, followed by 15-16 Int--I've seen lots of conflicting recommendations (some max Int, I'm guessing to affect more targets from the get-go). How many stat points will I get as I level up, and would it be so bad to not max Int?

(Will be playing in Hard)

Thanks!

Edited by Khashir

You don't get stat points on lu.

Int is most important followed by MI than DEX.

IN gives you duration AND AoE.

Thanks! I don't favour dumping stats, would 11 Dex be crippling? Or maybe Max Int, split the rest between Might/Dex?

Edited by Khashir

Max INT and MIG. DEX isn't so important for druids and wizards as you won't/shouldn't be chaincasting (much). MIG on the other hand makes your damage spells bite harder, and since you have limited spells, it makes a difference.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Max INT and MIG. DEX isn't so important for druids and wizards as you won't/shouldn't be chaincasting (much). MIG on the other hand makes your damage spells bite harder, and since you have limited spells, it makes a difference.

Awesome, thanks!

Definitely, as the others have said, Int is the most important, you want to max it, and then Might, and then whatever is left for Dex (depends entirely on whether you want to gimp other stats to max dex also...

I wouldn't bother with penetrating shot, just keep up with your enchantments, fine early game, exceptional at level 8+ - Penetrating shot slows your attacks.

The stuff with high DR is the stuff you generally will want to use your spells against anyway.

Once you get to 9th level and up, there's no reason to use your bow anymore at all unless it's too easy, and you don't want to bother casting any spells.

Definitely, as the others have said, Int is the most important, you want to max it, and then Might, and then whatever is left for Dex (depends entirely on whether you want to gimp other stats to max dex also...

I wouldn't bother with penetrating shot, just keep up with your enchantments, fine early game, exceptional at level 8+ - Penetrating shot slows your attacks.

The stuff with high DR is the stuff you generally will want to use your spells against anyway.

Once you get to 9th level and up, there's no reason to use your bow anymore at all unless it's too easy, and you don't want to bother casting any spells.

This is actually a very important point, that should be made. Once you're level 9, your Rank 1 Spells become At-Will and can be cast at every Encounter, all day, every day.

This means that as a Druid, you'll probably not want to go into bows much in terms of specializing anyway. At level 11, your Rank 2 spells become At-Will.

So. Yeah.

Don't bother with Penetrating Shot or anything else. You'll be casting spells all over the place; there's no reason to spec for auto-attacks and weapons.

t50aJUd.jpg

Once you're level 9, your Rank 1 Spells become At-Will and can be cast at every Encounter, all day, every day.

This means that as a Druid, you'll probably not want to go into bows much in terms of specializing anyway. At level 11, your Rank 2 spells become At-Will.

Do you mean Per Encounter? I think they are Per Encounter, meaning you can cast up to 4 (base) from rank 1 or rank 2 per encounter. At Will would mean you can cast them an unlimited number of times per encounter. Still, this seems like it would be enough, though I haven't gotten there yet.

If you are soloing, then these per-encounter spells may not be enough, but you are going to be camping/sleeping more often solo anyway.

Whether you are a fighter or a caster, you have to rest more often solo, that's just the way it is - you can't heal health between encounters except for a not great talent.

In a full group, the per-encounter spells are more than enough for most fights, and the big fights, you'll use your higher level spells.

• Like 1

If you are soloing, then these per-encounter spells may not be enough, but you are going to be camping/sleeping more often solo anyway.

Whether you are a fighter or a caster, you have to rest more often solo, that's just the way it is - you can't heal health between encounters except for a not great talent.

In a full group, the per-encounter spells are more than enough for most fights, and the big fights, you'll use your higher level spells.

Thanks for clarifying. I think the OP was confused about this too, from his other thread.

Once you're level 9, your Rank 1 Spells become At-Will and can be cast at every Encounter, all day, every day.

Do you mean Per Encounter? I think they are Per Encounter, meaning you can cast up to 4 (base) from rank 1 or rank 2 per encounter. At Will would mean you can cast them an unlimited number of times per encounter. Still, this seems like it would be enough, though I haven't gotten there yet.

The difference is semantics. Per-Encounter is practically At-Will in PoE. Four uses of level 1 and then your regular spells on top of that is more than enough to get you through any fight. And at level 11 you won't care anymore because you'll have more spells for free than you'll have combat time in most fights. And fights that could take longer than that, you'll probably be chain-casting more powerful spells anyway.

....I really hope they fix the blanket spell ranks as per-encounter in the expansion, because that's going to become real crazy real quick.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

....I really hope they fix the blanket spell ranks as per-encounter in the expansion, because that's going to become real crazy real quick.

Well, I think it would make sense at least for rank 3 spells to become Per Encounter at level 13, in keeping with a pattern of level 9 - rank 1, level 11 - rank 2. That means a wizard's Expose Vulnerabilities, Deleterious Alacrity of Motion and Minor Blights would all become Per Encounter. Can you imagine the hurt? And it'd still leave room for something like Arcane Dampener or Displaced Image for situational use.

I'm pretty sure Alacrity + 4x fireballs + blights will be a one of the standard wizard openers.

I'm also pretty sure they'll add a ton of new overpowered stuff in form on high level spells and abilities, soulbound weapons etc.

What I'm not sure is whether the expansion will pose any challenge at all.

Edited by MadDemiurg

Well, I think it would make sense at least for rank 3 spells to become Per Encounter at level 13, in keeping with a pattern of level 9 - rank 1, level 11 - rank 2. That means a wizard's Expose Vulnerabilities, Deleterious Alacrity of Motion and Minor Blights would all become Per Encounter. Can you imagine the hurt? And it'd still leave room for something like Arcane Dampener or Displaced Image for situational use.

Exactly. The first expansion part - as I predicted - adds 2 levels. It can be assumed that the next expansion part will add another two.

That's all of Rank 3 and Rank 4. All the available spells, especially for Priests and Druids that does not even have to choose, every single Encounter.

There has been a lot of suggestions relating to ways to mitigating this as well as making Druids, Priesta and Wizards more distinct from eachother, but the devs haven't really acknowledged the issue anywhere I can see.

It's unprecedented leaps up in power compared to non-Spellcasters, every second level, out of the blue starting at level 9. It really needs to be reworked.

t50aJUd.jpg

I'm pretty sure Alacrity + 4x fireballs + blights will be a one of the standard wizard openers.

Would that be with the Lvl 3 bonus spell talent and an item I haven't found yet (I'm only in Defiance Bay) that gives me an extra Lvl 3 spell?

Edited by Nobear

Would that be with the Lvl 3 bonus spell talent and an item I haven't found yet (I'm only in Defiance Bay) that gives me an extra Lvl 3 spell?

There's a ring that gives 2 extra level 1 and 3 spells (think it's sold in DB) and another one adding 2 extra level 2 and 1 extra level 4 spell, which is found in a specific location. With a talent, you can actually have 7 level 3 spells.

There's a ring that gives 2 extra level 1 and 3 spells (think it's sold in DB) and another one adding 2 extra level 2 and 1 extra level 4 spell, which is found in a specific location. With a talent, you can actually have 7 level 3 spells.

The DB one gives 2 Lvl 2 and 1 Lvl 4. Wow, I like the other one better, looking forward to it (no spoilers please!)

It's unprecedented leaps up in power compared to non-Spellcasters, every second level, out of the blue starting at level 9. It really needs to be reworked.

It is and it does.

I don't see the problem of just doing it the D&D way and granting more slots for lower-rank spells as you level up. You still get moar strategic spellcasting capability but not in those sudden jumps from 4 to (effectively) unlimited.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Those rings are listed as wizard rings, so not for druid.

Minor blights are actually level 2, so they are usable unlimited now at 11+.

Blights are not that good though, not like the level 4 wizard summon, which is very good.

As for changing this in the expansion, I'm of the opinion that this shouldn't be changed.

We should get unlimited 3rd at level 13+.

The thing is, if you want to cheese, you can rest after every encounter and get full spells if wanted.

Many people do this, you can see various threads about it.

So, going through the game more realistically, resting when you get tired, etc. makes the game a little more challenging than if you cheesed it.

Getting unlimited 1st and 2nd level spells at higher levels makes this a not-terrible choice for role-playing, or convenience of not having to run back to inns multiple times.

They should add level 3 at 13+, since if you rest all the time, you'd have unlimited level 7 spells!

Why penalize choosing this way to play even more by not giving 3rd level spells per-encounter status?

The whole health vs. endurance mechanic puts the difficulty in your hands - if you want to rest a lot, or not, it's up to you.

That's also why some people think moon godlikes are overpowered - they only are if you rest all the time to replenish their health.

The game recommends Resolve over other stats, however, for a Ranged Wood elf druid (Hunting Bow/Spellcaster), it seems Dex would be better (for action speed). Two things that keep me up at night (ha!):

1. Originally I was going for War Bow, because I thought it would benefit more from +% action speed than Hunting Bow (diminishing returns and all that). If I'll grab Marksman, Penetrating Shot, and Hunting Bow, should I invest less on Dex? (Or keep it high anyway for spellcasting).
  2. At char creation, I've maxed Might, followed by 15-16 Int--I've seen lots of conflicting recommendations (some max Int, I'm guessing to affect more targets from the get-go). How many stat points will I get as I level up, and would it be so bad to not max Int?

Thanks!

Heya,

Having just played a Druid through the game, who was a ranged character (bows/guns) but mostly spent the game opening with a spell and casting a 2nd or 3rd spell, at best, between attacks, I wouldn't bother doing a full spec of talents on ranged stuff. Instead, support other things with your selections. I went with marksman and gunner. I feel now that I wasted those two talents because while I did take a lot of shots with an arqeubus, it wasn't such a big deal, compared to wanting to use some of my big AOE spells more.

Might gives you more damage and more healing. Big deal there. I didn't run a Priest. Healing is super useful in harder difficulties. Early game on easy/norm you could play with zero heals practically. Even in hard with good micro-management you can get by with no heals with a well crafted group. But otherwise, if you're casually playing, heals are pretty nice to avoid a re-load. And a Druid gives you that. So high Might is great there. Plus it's usually AOE, so INT is important there too.

INT gives you higher durations and more area of effect. It's worth it. You don't need DEX. The speed increase is not much and not worth losing an attribute over. You'll find might far more useful over the course of the game. You'll find higher INT more important over the course of the game.

Any character can shoot a bow.

But only characters with spells (or a high Lore) can drop amazing spells. So you might want to ensure you support your spell casting and let non-casters worry about shooting stuff with their talents.

Very best,

• Like 1

Thanks!

Heya,

Having just played a Druid through the game, who was a ranged character (bows/guns) but mostly spent the game opening with a spell and casting a 2nd or 3rd spell, at best, between attacks, I wouldn't bother doing a full spec of talents on ranged stuff. Instead, support other things with your selections. I went with marksman and gunner. I feel now that I wasted those two talents because while I did take a lot of shots with an arqeubus, it wasn't such a big deal, compared to wanting to use some of my big AOE spells more.

Might gives you more damage and more healing. Big deal there. I didn't run a Priest. Healing is super useful in harder difficulties. Early game on easy/norm you could play with zero heals practically. Even in hard with good micro-management you can get by with no heals with a well crafted group. But otherwise, if you're casually playing, heals are pretty nice to avoid a re-load. And a Druid gives you that. So high Might is great there. Plus it's usually AOE, so INT is important there too.

INT gives you higher durations and more area of effect. It's worth it. You don't need DEX. The speed increase is not much and not worth losing an attribute over. You'll find might far more useful over the course of the game. You'll find higher INT more important over the course of the game.

Any character can shoot a bow.

But only characters with spells (or a high Lore) can drop amazing spells. So you might want to ensure you support your spell casting and let non-casters worry about shooting stuff with their talents.

Very best,

Thanks, MalVeauX--really great stuff! Yes, I've maxed Might and Int, so, that's taken care off ;).

I ended with the following plan: WF: Adventurer (benefits flails and wands--Rot Skull is considered a Wand), Weapon and Shield (more survibability if engaged in melee + vs. AoE), Marksman (also benefits Rot Skull), then + Flame/Lightning/Corrode damage (or Superior Deflection/Cautious Attack, more likely). 

From what I've gathered, the +bonus spells aren't that great, and you don't really need more than 2-3 +Elemental damage. The thought was that the only talents that really support spellcasting (and are worthwhile) are the +Damage, and you don't need all of them. So, I've focused the other talents to either increase survibability, or increase damage output in the early levels, while I don't have per-encounter spells. At the same time, the talents I picked for the latter also benefit Rot Skull, which apparently is very good, so, they don't go completely go to waste.

Any additional feedback welcome!

Edited by Khashir

Thanks, MalVeauX--really great stuff! Yes, I've maxed Might and Int, so, that's taken care off ;).

I ended with the following plan: WF: Adventurer (benefits flails and wands--Rot Skull is considered a Wand), Weapon and Shield (more survibability if engaged in melee + vs. AoE), Marksman (also benefits Rot Skull), then + Flame/Lightning/Corrode damage (or Superior Deflection/Cautious Attack, more likely). 

From what I've gathered, the +bonus spells aren't that great, and you don't really need more than 2-3 +Elemental damage. The thought was that the only talents that really support spellcasting (and are worthwhile) are the +Damage, and you don't need all of them. So, I've focused the other talents to either increase survibability, or increase damage output in the early levels, while I don't have per-encounter spells. At the same time, the talents I picked for the latter also benefit Rot Skull, which apparently is very good, so, they don't go completely go to waste.

Any additional feedback welcome!

Heya,

Just a thought, but as you get past level 9 or so, those early spells become per encounter, instead of requiring you to rest. It makes those early spells become spammable in a lot of areas mid and late game, where you end up with 5 or 6 battles per map, small scale battles, where you are not wanting to blast your best spells for easy trash mobs, but it's really nice to have a truck-load of per encounter low level spells. At least, unless I'm mixing this up with a Wizard, someone will have to correct me here if I'm wrong.

So those +spell talents early on, equate to more casting with less resting.

And late game, those +spell talents equate to more casting per encounter.

Just a thought!

That means mid-game at level 9 (or late game depending on how fast you progress), you get things like Dancing Bolts (AOE lighting damage vs Reflex), Nature's Mark (AOE condition drain making them easier to hit and easier to effect with conditions), Nature's Vigor (minor heal and endurance buff that effects whole party), Sunbeam (AOE damage and blind), Vile Thorns (AOE damage and sickened condition), Winter Wind (Cone AOE, 50 damage, with a push effect); all become per encounter. And these are great spells even though they are level 1. They still have a lot of utility in the late game. So you're not always stuck with 1 or 2 really "good" spells.

Granted, the +spell talents probably are not worth it, there are items that grant this.

So some other talents can be very useful, like mental fortress. And if you're really tweaking your characters, as much as people might think Arms Bearer or Quick Switch is bad, getting more quick slots is kind of important in harder difficulties late game, where you want specialized weapons with +damage versus Vessels/Spirits, or versus Kith, etc.

As much as it might be a waste, I think Mental Fortress, Body Control, etc can be useful.

And on that note, there's actually nothing wrong with Ghost Hunter & Sanctifier late game, those stack with weapons with bonuses against vessels & spirits too. Makes for a much easier experience versus those shades, phantoms, spirits, etc, which are annoying fights for everyone, especially early and late game (seems mid game there are next to none).

Very best,

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You don't need Con or Per.

In early(till 5-6level) game spiritshifting is really good in Cat form. You'll benefint more from +dex with it.

You'll produce enormous dps in Cat form, compared to your companions.

Res will give you more options in dialogues and you'll benefit from Res in Cat form as well.

So:

Stats (Wood Elf, the Old Vailia bonus included)

M 18

C 3

D 19

P 4

I 19

R 15

You can take 1 point from Dex and Int to put in Res.

Sorry for my bad english.