I bought Pillars of Eternity: Champion Edition from Amazon.com because it came on a DVD instead of a download.  I have very limited bandwidth, so the DVD media was a paramount issue.  I tried to install from the DVD, but  the installation immediately switched to a 6GB download.  I ran it overnight and it is only 30% downloaded. 

I tried doing this, but to no avail.  Is there a way that I can install from the media instead of a download?  Steam is supposed to do the DRM, no be a stumbling block for installation.  Please respond with a resolution to this issue.

Am afraid lots of games do this nowadays. The DVD doesn't have the media on it, only the set up files.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

"Am afraid lots of games do this nowadays. The DVD doesn't have the media on it, only the set up files."

I appreciate you responding to this, especially since this seems to be a Steam problem and not an Obsidian one.  I tried getting technical support from Steam, but their only solution was to send me to this forum.

I purchased the game version specifically for the DVD.  I inspected the media itself and it appears to have the full 6 gigabyte content that I am now downloading from Steam over several days.  If you look at the link in the original post, you will see a disclaimer that the DVD version only works for a retail version and not a backup version.  The media I got was in its original packaging and had a valid Product Unlock Key.  Could this be a locally burned copy with an Obsidian media logo?