"Fatal error in gc" on game start up

Deckma

Question

Every once in awhile when I try to start the game it will fail and I will receive the following error message:

EOquDct.png

Attached is the crash report folder. I am unsure what causes this. If I retry to start the game it will work. This error doesn't always happen. I am using the Steam version and on v1.0.6.0617.

2015-06-22_225508.zip

10 answers to this question

This was allegedly fixed in patch 1.04 according to the thread I found.  Make sure you're patched up to the latest version of the game and see if it still happens.  Meanwhile, I'll link to the thread I found and keep looking for a bit to see if I can find more information.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/76873-getthreadcontext-failed/?hl=getthreadcontext

EDIT:  I also found this dev post which might be helpful to you:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/75226-crash-on-start-up/?p=1641677

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Your logfile shows repeated errors:

edit: see same errors in my logfile with the latest patch, so it's most likely nothing to do with your problem, ignore the rest of this post

"TextXML Parse Failed. Attempting binary... File: C:/Users/Steven/AppData/Local/Temp/Obsidian Entertainment/Pillars of Eternity\TempSaveData Reason: Polenter.Serialization.Core.DeserializingException: An error occured during the deserialization. Details are in the inner exception. ---> System.Xml.XmlException: invalid data."

It may be worth checking that the folder in question (C:\Users\Steven\AppData\Local\Temp\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity\TempSaveData) exists, that you have appropriate permissions to write to it and that nothing else is interfering with it. Anti-virus scanners in particular could cause an issue and it may be worth configuring the scanner you use to ignore that folder.

Disabling the AV scanner temporarily would normally be another option but you would need to disconnect from the Internet while doing so (to minimise the chance of security compromise) and the Steam version of Pillars apparently uses Steam's DRM, which requires Internet access (and a valid Steam account) on game start.

Edited by AstralWanderer