Don't know where I can progress without getting clobbered.

Okay, so I'm level 4 about 1000 xp from level 5.  My party build is perhaps non-ideal:  PC is Cipher, Aloth, Durance, Kana, Eder & a 3rd level ranger that I created...everybody else is 4th.  I cleared most of level 2 of Od Nua but the room with the sacrificial pit massacred me.  I went down to level 3 and killed a couple ogres but I'm guessing from the difficulty of facing 2 ogres at a time that I'm not going to be able to beat the ogre chief.

So I went back and tried to do Raedric's quest.  The monsters on the way were so trivial I figured maybe I was supposed to do it before Caed Nua.  The keep itself didn't seem too difficult but after I got the key from Nedmar, I went down into Raedric's and again was totally out of my depth.  I suppose I could try to make it to Defiance Bay, but since the quests there didn't come until after I'd made it to Caed Nua, I'm assuming a higher level is required.  

Maybe my party's just too weak.  I may have gimped my cipher by giving him too balanced an attribute set but I was afraid of being locked out of conversation options, but I'm still locked out of a lot of them (resolve, particularly).  I don't have any idea how to use Aloth effectively.  It seems like the area of effect spells in the game all require the wizard to be on the front line in order to avoid affecting the rest of the party but he's too squishy.  Should I start this game over or is there some area that I'm overlooking where I can get some more experience?

The fight at Raedric's hold is difficult. It's doable at level 5 if your tactics are good, but I would leave it till later. Raedric's Hold, like Caed Nua, is an optional sidequest, you can do it at any point, or not at all. The main storyline goes to Defiance Bay, where you will find easier XP and more companions.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Thanks.  I'm used to games that you have to do a bunch of optional quests for experience before you can progress in the main plotline.  It's a bit odd from an RP standpoint to abandon the Raedric quest one room from the end but I will have to do head off to Defiance Bay.  

While I respect the philosophy of not levelling the world with the characters, it would be helpful if there were tough "gateway" encounters that warned you off quests that you weren't going to be able to complete rather than a pile of trash fights that lull you into a false sense of security before giving you a boss battle that's beyond your ability.

I'm inclined to agree with you in regards to the Raedric's Hold quest. The game has a couple of other "boss fights" where there is a big jump in difficulty too, especially if you have been playing on less than "Hard". The lack of a "flee" option is noticeable!

Maybe you could pretend to agree to side with Raedric when you speak to him, then come back and kill him later?

Edited by Fardragon

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

I also think the Raedric quest is a bit confusing.  You can get it so early in the game but the fight with Raedric can be hard even if you do it on easy.  You can get in fairly easily but then comes the fight with Raedric.  The first time I tried it I was shocked.

Edited by Nakia

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I found Raedric and the drake in Od nua fairly easy (easy difficulty) at level 4--put 2 mages in the rear and have them fire missiles, fireballs. Lure the enemy into doorways.

But I'm stuck in that dungeon--I have the blood and sapphire seals but can't find the third one? Frustrated. Help!

I've had to cut and run with Raedric & Caed Nua (lvl 9) then gone elsewhere until I could return with higher levels, better armour and weaponry.  Fine with me, the difficult fights helped me refine my tactics, which has been useful with even harder battles elsewhere.