Can't install from media

stewdanko

Question

I am trying to install Pillars of Eternity from the CD I purchased specifically from the UK.  I have limited bandwidth and don't want to spend days downloading the game.  I tried this and followed it to the letter, but it went into downloading mode anyway  It was my impression that Steam is supposed to do the DRM for their games and not become a major stumbling block to game play.  I tried getting Technical Support from Steam, but they just send me to this forum.

6 answers to this question

Hello, stewdanko.  I'm sorry for your inconvenience.  Just to make sure, you are playing on a PC, and not a Mac, correct?  Are you able to install the game from the disc without using Steam at all?  An Obsidian patcher is in the works and will bypass having to use Steam at all for patching.  This might be an acceptable alternative, though no ETA that I know of is announced for that yet.  

- Refer to this thread if you are having trouble finding any information I requested http://forums.obsidi...eport-an-issue/

I had a problem similar to this. I bought the game on PC and had to download a 3 gb (thereabouts) before I could play. There was no way to bypass the patch, so it was download or sit with what was essentially a shiny coffee coaster. The problem is not unique: every PC game I've ever bought (20+ titles) using Steam requires any updates to be downloaded before the game can be played. For example: I bought LEGO Jurassic Park recently and that required a 13 gb update out of a 14 gb install, despite the fact that all games file are, in fact, present on the disk, and again, there is no way to bypass it.

I wonder if developers in general are aware of this, considering your response, celliott? 

Edited by BoerVanBreda

Hello.  We are aware that after getting the disc you are going to need to patch pretty much right away.  This is unfortunately unavoidable.  If we waited to ship the discs out until they were complete and bug free we would never get them shipped.  We have to pick a point in time to send the information to the manufacturer to create the disc.  This is always before we are done developing to assure that we hit a certain date in time.  Bug fixes, balancing, and other issues that come up after the 'Gold Master' is sent out are included in the first patch. 

Perhaps you can install the game with Steam in offline mode so that it is not aware that the game needs to be updated?  Then in the steam settings change the game so that it doesn't automatically update.  I do not recommend this method, as you are going to miss out on fixes that we have put in since the disc was made.  The disc ships with version 1.04, and we are currently working on version 2.0 as seen in this thread.  Perhaps playing in version 1.04 will suffice until you can get more bandwidth to update to the newest version.  Thanks for your support, and sorry for the inconvenience.

- Refer to this thread if you are having trouble finding any information I requested http://forums.obsidi...eport-an-issue/

I am very sorry to hear that it did not work out for you.  Hopefully you will enjoy the game when you get it all patched up.  Good luck, and if there is anything else we can do just make another thread or update this one.  Thank you for your understanding.