Talent Question - Bonus 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th Level Spell

Are these talents worth the points? I can kind of see how 1st and 2nd level spell bonus would be useless as 1st and 2nd level spells become per encounter.

But what about 3rd and 4th level spell bonus? Are they worth the points? Or does it depend on the class? Are they viable for a priest? A druid? Or a wizard?

Edited by Gary1986

It seems to me they would be decent choices IF you can't find 6 other good talents to take. That would depend on your class and build and preferences. They are what I'd consider convenience talents, rather than peak power talents. They allow you to either use spells more often if you rest with the same frequency, or not rest as often.

On my priest, once I realized how good Interdiction and its boosting talents are, even if you also have a wizard since the area and effects on Interdiction are much better, I didn't find I had the talents to spare. My opinion is only take them if you can't find 6 other good talents for your class.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't 1st, 2nd, and maybe even 3rd level spells eventually become cast per encounter for all the casters, instead of per rest? At like level 9-12 or something like that.

I guess you'd still have, say, an extra Xth level spell per encounter, with the talent, but I can't imagine blowing through every single 1-3 spell you've got in one encounter and still needing more.

Don't 1st, 2nd, and maybe even 3rd level spells eventually become cast per encounter for all the casters, instead of per rest? At like level 9-12 or something like that.

I guess you'd still have, say, an extra Xth level spell per encounter, with the talent, but I can't imagine blowing through every single 1-3 spell you've got in one encounter and still needing more.

Level 1 spells turn Per-Encounter at player level 9, and level 2 at level 11. Unless they change course (which some players think they should), continuing the pattern would make level 3 spells turn Per-Encounter at level 13 in the expansion. The consensus tends to be that it's hard to blow through your level 1 and 2 spells in one encounter unless you're soloing, making these talents not worthwhile for the vast majority of cases.

Useless for Wizards and Priests. Druids would be better off spending the point on one of the elemental utility talents.

Basically, they are good early level but fall off later on; maybe if the developers re-think the (awful) idea of making spells per encounter then it could become more useful.

Edited by View619
  • Like 2

Are these talents worth the points? I can kind of see how 1st and 2nd level spell bonus would be useless as 1st and 2nd level spells become per encounter.

But what about 3rd and 4th level spell bonus? Are they worth the points? Or does it depend on the class? Are they viable for a priest? A druid? Or a wizard?

Heya,

Depends.

I used level 1 spells all the way to the end. Those spells are still very good. I had a party of Wizards and they took spell talents the whole time because... why not? What else is so critical for a caster to have, right? I wanted every spell cast possible I could get by the end. And it paid off having some more casts, even of level 1 and level 2 spells, because they're all pretty good (fanning, chill fog, necrotic lance, etc, awesome stuff).

Very best,

Useless for Wizards and Priests. Druids would be better off spending the point on one of the elemental utility talents.

Basically, they are good early level but fall off later on; maybe if the developers re-think the (awful) idea of making spells per encounter then it could become more useful.

This.

The current set-up completely nukes any semblance of balance, not just between spellcasters and everyone else, but also between Wizards and Druids/Priests, as well as the relative climbs in power per level (which by no means needs to be identical, but it'd be nice if they's not so disproportionate that a single level is suddenly more powerful than four earlier levels combined).

t50aJUd.jpg

Wouldn't be much point unless you put in more resting restrictions, since you can rest before pretty much every significant fight anyway. Maybe "disable per encounter spells" as a difficulty setting tickbox would be the best solution?

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

IEmod allows one to set different patterns on when spells become per encounter. Options vary between never and all spells always being per encounter.

I think it's an issue that needs to be fixed with the base game, and that any proper solution needs to be more fundamental/invasive than tweaking the levels and ranks.

Basically, imo:

• Entire Spell Ranks should not become available at some given level.
  • At some point, some spells should become Per Encounter in some way.
  • These spells or such need not be traditionally available spells or abilities pre-existing in a given Rank in a spellbook.
  • The way this happens should be different from class to class.

Some of the more interesting suggestions that have floated around have been;

• Specific Per-Encounter Spell Slots for Wizards, allowing them to slot a spell into a specific spell slot that will be Per-Encounter, while the others are still Per-Rest, and as you level, more of these special slots unlock for each spell rank (or rather, pre-existing Per Rest slots become Per Encounter slots).

• Specific spells of the Priest spellbook, or special spells altogether, becomes Per-Encounter for specific Deities, for Priests. This could work very much like Domain Spells work in DnD 3.5, except Per-Encounter and perhaps chosen from a broader list depending on deity, not domains.

• Druids could get Per-Encounter Abilities or Spell-Like Abilities focused around their spiritshifting/shapeshifting, or generally just nature-focused choices that works much like the suggestion for Priests.
Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg