White march = dungeon crawl?

I don't think that the White March will *just* be a dungeon crawl if that is what you are asking. Before we can get into Durgan's Battery, a supposedly impenetrable fortress, we will need to navigate the politics of the surrounding landscape (i.e. killing stuff) before making an effort to get in an smack down whatever force holds the White Forge in its grasp. The White Forge sounds like an Engwithan machine, not improbable considering the proximity of the White March to the Dyrewood were all other known Engwithan sites are.

As for non-linear elements, I imagine there will be factions to deal with, bounties to hunt and perhaps some hidden secrets on the map outside the dungeon itself.

Also, did anyone else get shivers at the thought of the dev team trying to outdo the Adradragon fight for the last confrontation? Yeesh. 

Edited by Venatio
  • Like 1

I don't think that the White March will *just* be a dungeon crawl if that is what you are asking. Before we can get into Durgan's Battery, a supposedly impenetrable fortress, we will need to navigate the politics of the surrounding landscape (i.e. killing stuff) before making an effort to get in an smack down whatever force holds the White Forge in its grasp. The White Forge sounds like an Engwithan machine, not improbable considering the proximity of the White March to the Dyrewood were all other known Engwithan sites are.

As for non-linear elements, I imagine there will be factions to deal with, bounties to hunt and perhaps some hidden secrets on the map outside the dungeon itself.

Also, did anyone else get shivers at the thought of the dev team trying to outdo the Adradragon fight for the last confrontation? Yeesh. 

The White Forge sounds that it is quite far from Engwithan machine as it produces good quality steel and steel equipment which are something that Engwithan people didn't have any clue how to do.

Based on the lore in POE the White March was inhabited by master craftsman dwarves and the white forge was the epitome of their craft.  So I doubt it would be tied to the Engwithians and their soul machines.  Hopefully, it will expand on the lore of other races from that time period.  Also, the lore implies that the area was bleak and inhospitable which further implies an arctic setting.  The settlements there would have very tough and hardy inhabitants to survive in such conditions.

I'm sorry to say that I hope not, in pen and paper dungeons are my favourite playgrounds, they are desperate, frightening, and horrifying experiences where as a gamesmaster I can unleah the full roster of my tricks and details on a party. Once they step across that darkened threshold they are mine, and I can shape their experiences, and cater to their choices in a far more organic manner: Drop hints and foreshadowing as I may, build up tension through carefully scripted scenes, wear the characters down through attrition, have their dreams wracked by nightmares as they slumber fitfully around a flickering fire.

Hunger, exhaustion, thirst, the need to find safe places in the dark where they may bind their wounds, steel their hearts and prepare themselves, while eyes shine from the gloom. All of these and many more I can use to manipulate and increase the roleplaying, so that when the players traverse the dungeon they are wary, shields raised, steps careful and quiet, weapons hefted, spells and prayers on their lips etcetera.

In most computer games I grind through a few groups of random monsters, and have no weaknesses that make my characters human and interesting whatsoever. Instead of dread artifacts and relics of bygone ages, I find yet more identikit loot, depressing really the limited scope and ambition.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm sorry to say that I hope not, in pen and paper dungeons are my favourite playgrounds, they are desperate, frightening, and horrifying experiences where as a gamesmaster I can unleah the full roster of my tricks and details on a party. Once they step across that darkened threshold they are mine, and I can shape their experiences, and cater to their choices in a far more organic manner: Drop hints and foreshadowing as I may, build up tension through carefully scripted scenes, wear the characters down through attrition, have their dreams wracked by nightmares as they slumber fitfully around a flickering fire.

Hunger, exhaustion, thirst, the need to find safe places in the dark where they may bind their wounds, steel their hearts and prepare themselves, while eyes shine from the gloom. All of these and many more I can use to manipulate and increase the roleplaying, so that when the players traverse the dungeon they are wary, shields raised, steps careful and quiet, weapons hefted, spells and prayers on their lips etcetera.

In most computer games I grind through a few groups of random monsters, and have no weaknesses that make my characters human and interesting whatsoever. Instead of dread artifacts and relics of bygone ages, I find yet more identikit loot, depressing really the limited scope and ambition.

You just reminded me why go back and play Dungeon Master every 5 years.

• Like 1